Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Sleeping problem

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    IC

Sleeping problem

Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:02 am

Hello comrades,

It's my 5th day of the challenge.

Have u had experience of sleeping problem, a bit like withdrawal symptoms of other addictions?

And a bit of headache in some part of your head?
    0 x
    JinxyWolf

Re: Sleeping problem

Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:50 pm

Hi IC and Welcome,

I had the same problem when I quit. I found it hard to sleep for a period of time but it subsided. It's your body trying to process the changes you are making but not gambling. Like any addiction withdrawal can present itself in different ways, not sleeping is just one of many you may experience.

But like all withdrawal symptoms they will disappear with time. I found that calming myself before I went to bed helped me. Turn off any devices, take a moment, close your eyes and breath, concentrate on your breath, in and out, try to relax your body, shut off you mind and breath. If you can calm yourself you may find it easier to get to sleep.

You will find that you will experience emotions, physical symptoms etc that you haven't felt before but just know that this is all part of the withdrawal, just take one thing at a time.

You are on the right road and well done for having to courage to begin this journey. Take if from someone who is 21 months gamble free, the journey is sooo worth it.

Wishing you the best

JinxyWolf
    0 x
    IC

Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:05 pm

Thanks Wolf

Why are u still here after 20 months clean?
    0 x
    JinxyWolf

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi IC,

I's not on here a lot these days but I still like to pop in once a month or so and update my progress in hopes it will help others to stay on the road to becoming gamble free. It also helps me to remember why I quit.

JinxyWolf
    0 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:15 am

Hello IC,

I'm Calvin, one of the facilitators.

These are all temporary feelings, some people experience these feelings whilst others may not. It's different for everyone.

Good on you for being 5 days free from gambling! keep it up !
    0 x
    Mona58

Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:34 pm

Hi IC

Welcome to the forums, good to see your posts.

even after 13 months at... I find myself a bit restless the night before paydays!! But it is getting few-and far between.

Mona
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    IC

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Thanks guys

As days gone by, it's getting easier not to think about Punting

Today there was a flashfloods in the afternoon, and I hate bad weather that I remember I always gambled during these weathers. Luckily I kept reading and watching YouTube video on the train, and reminded myself about the promise to myself and my family

One thing for sure, in the future I would not allow my daughters to get married with someone who's keen at betting
    0 x
    Mona58

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:56 pm

Had a bit of a chuckle at your last statement IC. I've been watching Bride & Prejudice on Channel 7. One of the guys has / had a gambling issue.
    0 x
    IC

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:26 pm

Hi Mona, any addictive behavior could intensify. A $5 punter could turn to a compulsive gambler one day

I watched this one before and my heart bled...That was almost me

https://youtu.be/LpSGJOrtoVg
    0 x
    Mona58

Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:29 am

Psychologically our behaviours begin in childhood and then we have all these society / culture / LIFE issues to deal with ..-all concerning money! .. its little wonder sometimes that humanity is on tenterhooks!

stay strong!
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”