Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Here's hoping

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Mona58

Re: Here's hoping

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:57 pm

The feelings are very weird... it helps to read as much as you Can about gambling addiction because you will come to understand what's happening and also be prepared for what will come.

Mona
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Mongoose

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:30 pm

Thanks Mona I will this will occupy so of my free time !! Had first counselling session today nearly didn't get through the door just so hard to take that final step telling someone face to face how much of a problem I have , but come out with some good plans so roll on day 7 GF tomorrow . Mongoose
    0 x
    Cazza

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:46 pm

Well done on your nearly 1st week mongoose.
    Yeah it's hard to find a way to fill in the hours of a weekend of when we used to gamble.
    Some people get really active and do lots of things, but I just read alot and ate too much 😆
    It might take you a little bit to find what works for you. Great that you went to your 1st session today and am sure they have given you ideas to help.
    Keep posting and keep going. The pain at the start is so worth the gamble free journey you are on 😊
    0 x
    Mona58

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:08 am

That's wonderful Mongoose'

Along the same lines As Cazza says,.. Finding new activities helps occupy our mind. After the initial shock we do tend to sit and reflect the first few days ... often berating ourselves which does not help but if as we do change the negative into positive thoughts you be well on the way to a nicer life.

About the "slowness" of time... enjoy it!! Find something you enjoy... read a book... try a new recipe... go for a walk .. get a DVD... you will be amazed at how much more time you have.

Stay strong!
    0 x
    sherpa09 (facilitator)

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi Mongoose,

This is Sherpa09 (one of the moderators on the forum). It can be quite overwhelming when these thoughts/urges come up. It can help to seek assistance at gambler's helpline (1800 858 858) where our qualified counselors will be able to provide useful information in implementing strategies to control these thoughts and urges. Really well done on getting in touch with the gamblers help forum and look forward to your future contributions :)

Regards,

Sherpa09.
    0 x
    Mongoose

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:38 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies been reading lots on here and glad I have found you all cos feel like I'm not alone getting more positive everyday I can beat this beast . Here's to week 2 GF . Mongoose
    0 x
    Mongoose

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:03 am

Day 9 GF struggling !!😡Have a day off and my plans have just gone out the window , decided to clean instead but these stupid machines won't get out of my head , need to stay focused so hard . Mongoose
    0 x
    Mona58

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:33 pm

Those days happen... think about the wonderful gamble free life ahead!

Well Done on 9 days!

Stay Strong!!
    0 x
    Cazza

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:06 pm

Well done mongoose on your 9 days.
    Am sorry you are struggling at the moment, but look at it from a different angle too.
    You are struggling because you are not giving into your urges so in that sense you are doing really well.
    As many of us realize at the start, our brains are pulling us in 2 different directions and the tiny rational side doesn't have much power yet. But as each day passes it gets stronger , so you are doing well.
    Much strength to you 😊
    0 x
    Mongoose

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:21 pm

Thanks Mona and cazza have drawn so much strength from you guys managed to fight off the urge went and spent my money on food and prepared food for the next week looks like the freezer is gonna be filling up . Mongoose
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”