Where to start ?

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: Where to start ?

Postby User 5adbc6d6e0396 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:11 am

Week 10 and still gambling free, I still think of playing the pokies occasionally and think of the machines I used to play and wonder if the jackpots have gone off ( thank god I self excluded from those venues) I have paid of a considerable amount of debt and have money to do other things now which is great :)
User 5adbc6d6e0396

Postby Calvin (facilitator) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Hello!
I'm Calvin, one of the facilitators.

It is great to hear that you are 7 weeks Gambling free! Urges and triggers can be risky but can also be managed !
It sounds like you are doing an incredible job and determined to make a better future for yourself!

Regards,

Calvin
Calvin (facilitator)

Postby Catherine1 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:34 pm

Well done Dan at 7 weeks gamble free. I am only at Day 12 today. I cant wait to get to week 7 gamble free. This month I will have a lot of stress at work due to end of financial year so I will have to be careful not to slip back in to my old ways. I hope you have a great gamble free long weekend.
Catherine1

Postby Mona58 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:53 pm

Well done Dan! 7 weeks is fantastic!

l am the same buying little things for myself. Today I brought 3 DVDs from the Op shop for $3 each!

Keep strong!

Mona!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby User 5adbc6d6e0396 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:23 am

I have been a bit slow at posting an update, I AM 7 WEEKS Gabling free, I'm pretty sure that is the first time I've ever been able to say that since I turned 18. I have been attending regular GA meetings, and have found that they help I especially enjoy when we exchange our stories I don't feel as alone in this journey when I hear other people speak. I do still feel the urge at times, mainly when I have paid my bills/bought groceries and have extra money left over, to combat I buy myself a coffee or a new marked down shirt or something small for myself, which in turn makes me reflect on how big my gambling problem was, I think to myself I wouldn't have been able to buy this before when I was gambling, even though the purchase may have been only $5 or so, yet when I was gambling I would have no trouble putting $50 note after $50 note into a pokies machine and playing $5 bets. I have paid off a considerable amount off my loans, which is making me realise all that I could have done with the money I have wasted, I am determined to beat this and have a better future!

All the best in your journeys and remember "win by not gambling" !

Dan
User 5adbc6d6e0396

Postby Mona58 » Thu May 03, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks Dan.
Mona58

Postby User 5adbc6d6e0396 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:57 pm

Thanks mona ! I have read most of your posts and you bring a real community feel to this site, I must admit I feel inspired by you, and enjoy reading your comments :)
User 5adbc6d6e0396

Postby Mona58 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:33 pm

Well done Dan! Keep fighting! stay strong.
Mona58

Postby User 5adbc6d6e0396 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:16 pm

Day 14 !!!

2 whole weeks up for me now, it has really helped not having access to money, I have paid all my bills that I had budgeted for this week, done a full grocery shop for the whole fortnight and it feels really good knowing I don't have to worry about missed bills or worrying about what to have for dinner.

I have thought about gambling but have not had the means to do so, my sister having complete access to my bank and and having to provide receipts for money spent is really making me accountable for not going to play the pokies.

Even though I'm still having strong urges to do so I am still optimistic that one day they will fade.

I think I may have read this on here somewhere, but every time I think of playing the pokies I remind myself that "I'm winning by not playing" which I certainly am winning by not playing :o

Dan
User 5adbc6d6e0396

Postby Pea pod » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:49 pm

Hi "where to start" I can understand how you feel. I'm am totally triggered by pay going in. This week I am determined to change my banking system to road block my addiction. I need to have no acres for a few months so I'm going to set that up. After relapsing last week I gambled again today and have hit rock bottom. We as addicts needs to stop easy access to money. All the best.
Pea pod

Next

Return to The Courtyard