Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • 12 Months of Freedom..And Lovin' Every Minute

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    pamela

Re: 12 Months of Freedom..And Lovin' Every Minute

Thu May 02, 2019 12:26 am

Well I guess the good thing is you cant feel worse..be prepared to fight hard and you can do this.
    Life is so much better gamble free and it takes time but it's worth the fight
    0 x
    JinxyWolf

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:57 pm

Hello all my Awesome Peoples,

Been a while so Just thought I'd check in...let's see we are coming up on 2 years 4 months Gamble free :cool: :cool: :cool:

Just chillin' on the couch so just thought I'd pop in and update you all on what's going on in my gamble free life (whether you want to know or not :p ). You know, even after all this time I still find it hard to believe that it' been 2 years since I last gambled and honestly I don't know how I even found the time. I'm busy planning a kitchen Renovation at the moment so super excited about that. Picking out colours, tiling and flooring. New appliances and stuff.

I found that having goals is a big motivator to stay gamble free. Once I have achieved a goal I set a new one. First it was something as simple as art supplies, then a graphics tablet, then the big one a new car and now it's renovating the kitchen. Not sure what my next goal will be but I'm sure I'll think of something :D :D

That's it for me guys, keep fighting and stay strong.

JinxyWolf
    3 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:35 am

@JinxyWolf you know we always love hearing your updates!

All so great to hear :)
    I love the idea of increasing the size of goals, and setting a new one every time you achieve one ! Nice work!
    1 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Community Manager. Wishing everyone all the best!
    pamela

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:58 am

You have certainly come a long way since you first posted on this forum..it's great to hear of everything you have achieved..keep getting stronger and look forward to hearing about your next goal
    Great job
    0 x
    JinxyWolf

Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:30 pm

HI All,

How we doing? Good I hope.

Me, well, not so good tonight. I just really need to vent and even though the following post has nothing to do with gambling I feel like I'm going to explode if I don't get this off my chest. I used to bottle up all my problems until they exploded in a binge of gambling but since gambling doesn't deserve a place in my life I've decided to not let these emotions bottle up any longer.

The past 5 weeks have been filled with stress, frustration and a lot of anger :mad: :mad: . Let me start by saying that the NBN is sh*t and that forcing businesses to sign up is an absolute joke. For that past 5 weeks our business has had no internet and no phones. Why you ask? because Commander our provider ( and I use that term loosely because they haven't provided jack Sh*t in the last 5 weeks) decided to cut off our internet and phones without warning. So we rang them, their response "the NBN cut you off""you have to switch to an NBN plan" So we rang NBN, their response "it wasn't us, your provider cut you off" and so the merry-go-round continues. Back and forth, talking to different people every time, explaining the same situation every time, banging your head against the same brick wall time after time and still no answers. So we choose another provider, "yep have you up and running in a couple of days, no worries", 2 weeks later finally have internet, another week finally have phones. But what's this, our old Provider wants to charge us $1000 for breaking a contract to use the NBN, a contract that they practically bullied us into by cutting of our internet/phones in the first place. One operator tells you "but your not even on the NBN" another tells you "you owe us $1000 for breaking the NBN contract your on". It baffles the mind. They don't even know what is going on so how can we? Being a small business in a small town you can't go without phones, it's a death sentence. My folks are at their wits end, we haven't been able to think about anything else, it's been all consuming and the stress is just piling up and I'm close to breaking point. I just want this situation to be over so I can breath again, so we all can.

I'm sitting here in bed typing this because I can't sleep, trying not to cry because it's all just too much.

I am glad that I'm this far into my gamble free journey because 2 years ago this would have set of a gambling binge that would have lasted for weeks.

Thank you all for allowing me to get this off my chest, it helps a lot to know that I can still come to this forum when things get rough and know that there will be no judgment, only support.

JinxyWolf

P.S. Stay Strong and Keep Fighting :cool: :cool:
    1 x
    JinxyWolf

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:50 pm

Hi All,

Hope you are all going well.

I've just been sitting here thinking about why it is so hard for people like us with addictions to admit that we need help. I know that the guilt is a big factor but I also think that shame play a massive role.

Many of us think, me included, that needing, asking for help is a sign of weakness. We should be able to deal with our problems, tough it out, right? Oh how wrong I was. I have come to find that needing, asking for help is not in fact a sign of weakness but a sign of strength. It take courage to admit that we can't handle things on our own, whether that is an addiction or any other issues we may face. Relying on others and facing our limitations can be hard but is a must if we are to beat this addiction. We don't always have the tools we need to help ourselves and that's when reaching out to others becomes so important.

So reach out, ask for help, let those who have the tools to help you beat your addiction guide you. Don't be ashamed that you can't do this on your own. We all need help once in a while.

Be Well and Stay Strong.

JinxyWolf
    3 x
    pamela

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:01 pm

So true Jinxy...there is nothing wrong with asking for help..I believe that by reaching out to someone it is like a sigh of relief ..I have not gambled for 4 years and I still see a counsellor..
    Never give up the fight
    0 x
    Mongoose

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Wow Jinxy I have come on here today 6 days short of 11 months gamble free feeling a bit vulnerable and what can I say you have put things back in perspective , some days are just crap and yes your right we need to ask for help cos you can’t always do it on your own .
    Thank you Mongoose
    2 x
    JinxyWolf

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi Mongoose,

Congrats on heading towards 11 months that's a fantastic effort.

Even after 2 1/2 years Gamble Free I still visit this forum just to ground myself and remember why it's so important to remain gamble free.
    This forum is a great place just come when things get rough and remind ourselves what it is we are fighting for.

JinxyWolf
    1 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Heya Jinxy, how you doing?

Sorry to hear about your NBN troubles - honestly I'm not sure anyone's had much luck with that! I know it's a while ago now, but hoping something's settled with that for you and your family?

I love your points about asking for help! In many ways I think it's the most courageous thing a person to do!
    0 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Community Manager. Wishing everyone all the best!

Return to “Change Makers”