12 Months of Freedom..And Lovin' Every Minute

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: 12 Months of Freedom..And Lovin' Every Minute

Postby Jo-Anne » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:52 pm

Hi Jinxy many congratulations from me.......that is an excellent effort. I am just over 4 months gf and plan to make it past 6 months this time and more!! I have put alot in place in my life to make it happen this time thank goodness

I am so happy for you!!
Jo-Anne

Postby FamilyFirst » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:47 pm

Hi Jinxy,

Great news, Well done. Glad to hear your still enjoying the benefits of quitting gambling :cool:
I've discovered home brewing....
Just bottled my first ale yesterday in fact :rolleyes:
Still G.F. here too, loving every day. Haven't had any urges for many months now.

Keep up the great work and enjoy that car!
Cheers.
Lee.
FamilyFirst

Postby Suzy2 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:54 am

Congratulations! I returned to the forum last nite to read your posts celebrating 12 months!!
You deserve this!
Reap the rewards!!

Suzy2
Suzy2

Postby pamela » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:44 am

Well done Jinxy wolf..its a great feeling when you get control back of your life..enjoy the results
pamela

Postby Mona58 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:09 pm

Congratulations Jinky! you are an inspiration!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby JinxyWolf » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:52 pm

OMG!!! I'm soooo Excited :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Just bought my first ever brand new car...and I feel awesome.

13 months ago this would have been a pipe dream but with a lot of determination and grit I have clawed my way back to financial stability.
My gambling addiction is right where it belongs and where it is going to stay....in the past. Nothing can erase all the stupid things I did when I gambled and all the money I lost but refusing to let it define my future has allowed me to live again and move forward.

Stay strong everyone.

JinxyWolf
JinxyWolf

Postby JinxyWolf » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:46 pm

Hi All,

Just checking in to see how you all are doing. Seems like there a quite a few success stories, a few stumbles but all still striving for the future we all deserve, that being one free from gambling.

Me, just started 2 weeks holiday, HAPPY DAYS!!!! So need it, kinda running on empty. It'll be good to catch up on all the house work and such, NOT :(
Anyway, just a couple days shy of 13 months gamble free. You know I still find it hard to believe it's been that long, it feels like just yesterday I quit.
Yes, the urges have subsided, the fog has lifted, my vision is clear, I'm very happy in my life and I know that I will never be able to go to the pokies ever again but I still very occasionally have thoughts of pokies, usually when I'm stressed, just passing waves, no urge to go, I think it's because they were a part of my life for so many years, it'll take time to clear the thoughts out completely.

Anywhoo, stay strong everyone.

JinxyWolf
JinxyWolf

Postby pamela » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 am

Well done Jinxywolf...a fantastic effort that you should be really proud of.It is extremely hard admitting to a gambling problem and then following through to beat it ..But you have done both..great job😀😀😀
pamela

Postby Oregon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Congrats Jinxy and thanks for sharing your stories and offering such good advice for 12 months. Here's to looking back at 12 years gamble free ! :D
Gamble free since 29.05.18
Oregon

Postby JinxyWolf » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:13 pm

Hi Alice and Welcome to the Forum,

To answer you first question, No I haven't put $1 dollar through the pokies in over 12 months. There was no other option, I was out of control and cold turkey was the only way I could get my life back. It's been a long and hard road but worth every bump and struggle. I found that for people like us who struggle with gambling addiction there is no safe limit, we simply can't control it, we like to think we can but it's pretty much impossible. It has taken me many years and many failed attempts to quit to come to this realization.

The first thing I did was join this forum, and to honest I didn't even really know if I was truly committed to the journey ahead but I took that first step and that was the beginning on my journey to freedom. Next thing I connected with a gambling councellor via email and then told my family everything. What I was going through, just how bad things had gotten and how unhappy I really was. I found it's all about support and accountability.
I gave up all access to cash, which meant giving my access card to my mother, if I wanted money I had to ask her and tell he exactly what that money was for. Doing this helped with impulse gambling, since I no longer had access to cash I couldn't just go gambling on a whim, it forced me to think about why I wanted to gamble and what the consequences would be if I did.

Yes those pretty lights and amazing sounds send our brains into a blissful paradise, we get so focused on those lights and sounds of "winning" we fail to see that we are in fact LOSING!! We may "win" today but I we will loose tomorrow and in the long run we always loose. These machines are specifically designed to entice and entrance us, get our attention and keep it for as long as they can.

So you have already taken the most important step along the road to becoming gamble free by admitting that you need help. It's not gonna be easy and you may stumble from time to time but just remember a stumble is not a failure, it's just another step along the journey.

So stay strong and remember we are here for you............

JinxyWolf
JinxyWolf

PreviousNext

Return to The Courtyard