Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • 12 Months of Freedom..And Lovin' Every Minute

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    HelpfulBee

Re: 12 Months of Freedom..And Lovin' Every Minute

Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:52 pm

Well done @JinxyWolf and @FamilyFirst !

FOUR YEARS IS A HUGE ACHIEVEMENT!! WELL DONE!!!

What are you guys doing to celebrate this HUGE milestone?!

-HelpfulBee
    0 x
    JinxyWolf

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:47 pm

Hello all my lovely peeps :cool:

Been a while since I've checked in so thought I pop in and see what's what.

So not much going on here really still gamble free, it's been 4 years and 5 months. Been going through the lock down roller coaster here in Victoria and currently on the good side of one for how much longer, well who knows.

Been a little depressed lately, like most I am worried about the future but also feeling guilty as these lockdowns have not impacted me as much as others and yet I still feel crappy and depressed. Having trouble enjoying work (I work in Retail and it can be draining dealing with people all day), people getting on my last nerve. So with gambling no longer in my life I've had to find other outlets for my boredom and other ways to deal with my emotional stress. I have found great solace in my Art. I've started a pet portrait business (well more of a hobby really :p ) and already have several projects to delve into. I can completely loose myself in my Art, the stresses of life can drift away and I can focus on something positive.

I think that finding things outside of gambling that can bring joy to your life is an important step along the road to staying gamble free. Focusing on the positive things in your life instead of dwelling on the mistakes of your past can help you move forward. Yes we must remember our mistakes but only so we can learn from them.

Stay safe and be well.

JinxyWolf
    3 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:36 am

Hi @JinxyWolf,

Just wanted to say congratulations for being 4 years and 5 months gamble!!! It's a fantastic milestone, well done! :cool:

And great advice for everyone regarding the hobby. I think it's a reality for many to all of a sudden have more time in there hands without gambling, so it's very important to find other outlets for boredom and emotional stress as you have well pointed out. Glad to hear the pet portrait business is keeping you busy (it sounds like its very fun too).

Thank you for the tips/advice and words of encouragement to everyone on here. I'm sure many will be able to relate and find it useful.

You too, stay safe and well. :D
    0 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Moderator. Thanking you all for allowing me to be a part of your journeys and wishing you all the best! :);
    JinxyWolf

Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:45 pm

Hello all my lovely peeps,

Hope you are all going well and if not keep your chin up and remember tomorrow is a new day.

So I'm in a better place as I write this tonight. Currently on holidays, recharging the batteries. Sooo needed a break from work. Spent the day in the garden in the beautiful sunshine. Just about to start a new pet commission so that should keep me pretty busy for the next couple of days.

Binge watching Supernatural at the moment, love that show :D .

Be well all my courageous people and stay strong.

JinxyWolf
    2 x
    pamela

Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:37 pm

Hi Jinxy..so glad you are doing really well..I understand what you mean about your work..I work in health and all these covid rules and regulations do your head in day after day.
    Hopefully life will return to some form of normality before too long
    2 x
    JinxyWolf

Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:45 pm

Hey @pamela ,

Great to hear from you. I thought retail was hard during these lockdowns but as a health worker you must deal with a lot more. I always thought that those who devote themselves to helping others deserve our admiration and respect so you have mine :D . and as you said, hopefully we will be back to normality soon.

Be Well

JinxyWolf
    2 x
    JinxyWolf

Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:51 pm

Hi All,

Well I'm sitting here tonight trying to understand why for the first time in years I had a dream about gambling.

So in my dream I was going to play the pokies and trying to justify it to myself as to why it was okay and as usual when you dream about gambling I won heeps of money (that's how you know it's a dream :p ).

It's strange because I haven't dreamt about gambling in quite some time and I'm not sure what triggered it. I have a recent trip to the optometrist and been told that my eyesight has worsened a fair bit in the last two years. He told me that it's very unusual for short sighted peoples' vision to keep getting worse, it should have stabilized in my twenties which it didn't. I've had glasses since I was 10 and I am already very short sighted and can't see a lot without my glasses. He couldn't tell me what was causing it or how to prevent it from getting worse. I must admit I'm really freaked out about it. My biggest fear is if it gets too bad I won't be able to do my art and art is something that has gotten me through a lot of tough times over these last 4 years. Honestly I would rather loose a limb than go blind. Is this fear justified or is it me just freaking out for no reason, I really couldn't tell you. I do wonder however whether it is this that is causing me to dream and think about gambling.

So thanks for listening and stay strong all my special peeps :D

JinxyWolf
    2 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:06 pm

Hi @JinxyWolf,

I'm so sorry to hear you had a dream about gambling for the first time in years. Although you're not sure of what triggered it, it's great that you're reflecting on it and trying to figure out where it came from.

I'm also so sorry to hear about your eyesight worsening these past 2 years. Your concern is very understandable and the fear of consequently being unable to practice your passion for art is absolutely justifiable.
    Sounds like you've come really far in the past 4 years, hope you're feeling proud of yourself. Whatever comes next, the resilience, strength and courage you have built up so far cannot be taken away. :cool:
    I really hope the doctors can figure it out and it doesn't get to that point.

Take care @JinxyWolf and keep us posted on how you're going. :);
    0 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Moderator. Thanking you all for allowing me to be a part of your journeys and wishing you all the best! :);
    JinxyWolf

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:14 pm

Hi @Lovely Cat Lady ,

Yes I have come a long way in 4 years. I've had plenty of ups and downs and this is just another hurdle to overcome. I guess I'll just have to deal with it if it happens.
    Hopefully it won't eventuate and if it does not for a while yet. I do still fear that it will but I guess you can't live your life in fear can you. I must say that writing it down and sharing my fears has helped me a lot. I have found during my journey to become gamble free that I am a lot stronger that I thought. And like you said that is something that cannot be taken away.

I also came to realize that you can't keep things in, you need to reach out and ask for help or just vent your fears and frustrations. Bottling up all your fears and what you are feeling doesn't work, all it does is drag you down into dark places.

Stray strong and be well

JinxyWolf
    2 x

Return to “Change Makers”