Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • 12 Months of Freedom..And Lovin' Every Minute

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    JinxyWolf

Re: 12 Months of Freedom..And Lovin' Every Minute

Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:13 pm

Hello all my Peeps :cool: :cool:

So here I am in Regional Victoria counting down the days until I can leave my little town and go for a drive. Who would have thought that the prospect of going for a drive could be so exciting. Still I must admit I am one of the lucky ones, I'm working and our little shop is still open for business. Oh and I am sooo loving having to wear a mask for 8 hours a day :p :p but what must be done :D

Anywho, so things have been pretty quiet here lately, the world continues to turn and the pokies in Victoria remain silent - the only good thing to come out of this pandemic if you ask me. I'm continuing my gamble free journey, it has been 3 years and 6 months since I last played to pokies and if that's not a reason to celebrate I don't know what is :cool: :cool: :cool:

I was thinking just the other day actually that I just can't figure out how I ever had the time or money to gamble, I mean seriously by the time I pay bills, buy groceries, pay the mortgage, paying off my car there is not a lot left in the old bank account. I actually find it very hard to part with my money these days, I procrastinate and think and go back and forth, "Do I really want that $20 DVD?" :p and to think that 3 years ago I had no quarms about stuffing $500 into a poker machine in one sitting. Crazy how your value of money can change given time. That's the trick of gambling, it skews your value of money. Money just becomes numbers on a screen, the bigger the number the better your going, until the inevitable happens and you see that big fat ZERO in the screen, damn it :( I've worked with cash my whole life, being in retail it is a cash business and working in a Tatts outlet you handle a lot of cash, it's easy to loose the value of a $50 or even a $20 note when you see them everyday in the quantities I see them but nothing destroyed my value of money more than the pokies.

So that was kinda long winded wasn't it :p

Stay Safe All and Stay Strong

JinxyWolf
    1 x
    pamela

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:26 pm

Hi Jinxywolf..well done on reaching 3years 6 months.a great achievement.
    I agree about the warped ideas of money.When I gambled..like you,I never cared about losing $500 or more in a sitting,but now..i am like the complete opposite.
    I LIKE having money ,for a change
    I wish you all the best over there and hope it styles down soon
    Stay healthy and thanks for sharing
    0 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:47 am

Hello @JinxyWolf

Well done on reaching 3 years and 6 months. Amazing work!!Definitely worth celebrating!
    I really enjoyed reading your reflections about your journey and also how you've noticed your thoughts have changed over the years in relation to the value of money! You're correct in saying gambling makes you lose that value of money.
    Glad to hear you're keeping busy with your business! Hopefully soon we will all be able to enjoy a nice drive!!

Keep up the great work!

Could you share a few tips for those currently struggling with gambling and are sitting on those beginning steps towards change? I'm sure your support and tips would be very helpful to many!
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”