Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • 12 Months of Freedom..And Lovin' Every Minute

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    JinxyWolf

Re: 12 Months of Freedom..And Lovin' Every Minute

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:51 pm

Hey Britt,

Things are going really well now. Things have settled back into their normal routines and life is good.

One of the many thing that I have learnt during my journey is that bad days pass and good ones are right around the corner.

Thanks
    JinxyWolf
    1 x
    Mona58

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:05 pm

I totally agree with that second sentence!!

Mona (22 months GF)
    1 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    JinxyWolf

Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:59 pm

HI All,

Been quit a while since I've been on this forum so I thought with all the craziness that is going around at the moment it would be a good time to check in.

I've noticed that the forum seems pretty quit at the moment which is understandable with everything that's going on but I must say I hoped that there would be some new faces on here trying to kick the habit. With all gaming venues shut I thought it's the perfect time to try and beat this terrible addiction. I just hope that online gambling hasn't sucked to many into it's vortex.

If you are a new member here I would like to welcome you and congratulate you on your first step toward a gamble free future.

So since I last posted I have reached my 3 year anniversary which is fantastic :cool: :cool: .
    Gambling is no longer a part of my life or my thought processes. My Kitchen reno is almost done, had a few delays but hey that's life right.

I'm trying to come up with a new goal but at times like this that can be hard. Like all of us at the moment I'm struggling to come to terms with the world we are living in at the moment. I believe the shock of the situation has passed and now it's all about trying to deal with uncertainty of what's next. It sill doesn't seem real but I am one of the lucky ones. I still have a job and luckily live in the country so we haven't had any cases in our area, yet. Much like dealing with gambling addiction it's a matter of just taking it one day at a time. Not looking to far ahead and turning to those we love for support.

I would like to thank this forum for all the tools and support that have been provided to me through what was a difficult journey but one well worth it. These tools have not only helped in my gambling journey but also in everyday life. New ways to deal with my emotions and stress has helped me stay on the gamble free wagon.

I hope you are all well. Stay strong and remember there is light at the end of this tunnel and it is beautiful :); :);

JinxyWolf
    6 x
    pamela

Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:55 pm

Hi Jinxywolf.. you have certainly come a long way since your first post..you must feel very proud
    Life takes on a different meaning and we have a lot to be thankful for
    1 x
    Mona58

Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:00 pm

Hi Jinky

Good of you pop in.

These are strange times,

I 'd not taken much notice until all the toilet paper was gone! l ended up habitially going to the supermarket every day coming home in despair! Till one day there was a pallet of toilet paper. I'd grabbed one... come home...go back and grab another even hiding from the check out chick l brought the first one from. Oh dear!

Mona
    1 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Calvin (facilitator)

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:18 pm

Hows everyone been going ? :)
    0 x
    FamilyFirst

Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:41 pm

Hi Jinxy,
    Great to hear that your going so well! I haven't been on here for a while but I'm still Gamble Free nonetheless.
    I'm lucky too in still having a job. I cut back to three days a week for a few weeks so I could stay home with the kids but back on full-time now.
    I can imagine I would have been in big financial trouble if this covid 19 happened in those dark years of my life.
    Now...
    Money in the bank, no debt, no worries!
    Just no toilet paper..
    Just kidding....

Take care all,
    Cheers, Lee
    2 x
    JinxyWolf

Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:43 pm

Great to hear from you Lee and even better that you are still on this wagon with me :cool: :cool:

So here I am once again. Life is still crazy, uncertainty seems to be the word of the year.

And what a year it has been, CRAZY!! I never thought that I would be living in a world where 1. Global Pandemic and 2. Race Riots and Protests during a global pandemic. It just seems to be one hit after another. But that's life isn't it, things don't always go our way, life is unpredictable and sometimes scary. Things happen that are beyond our control and no matter how hard we want to we can't fix everything. We can't always handle things on our own, sometimes we need to reach out and ask for help. That's not weakness, that is strength. It takes real courage to ask for help.

Venues are reopening once again and I know that some people are already starting to feel the pull. Not being able to go to a venue for 3 months then suddenly having to opportunity to go will be hard for many to resist. It's one thing to be gamble free when you don't have the option, it is another to try to stay gamble free once the opportunity presents it's self again. I hope that those who have chosen to begin the journey to be gamble free reach out and put those barriers to gambling in place.
    Barriers like limiting access to cash, self excluding from venues, identifying gambling triggers and riding out urges when they hit.

You know before I started my journey 3 years ago I truly believed that I was destined to be a gambling addict for the rest of my life. I saw no way out, no future, even after I made my first post on this forum I still thought that it was just a moment of weakness and that the next day I would be sitting in front of a machine once again. Starting mindlessly at that screen with all the pretty lights and sounds, my troubles fading away, that is until I left the venue and then BAM!! broke again and that sudden wave of guilt and shame would hit me with a vengeance. How wrong I was, gambling was not my future, I had a choice, I could continue on the path I was on, or I could embrace a new path. Sure it was hard, I had my ups and downs, I had doubts, I was scared, I had bouts of depression and anger but then something amazing happened, anger was replaced with happiness, depression was replaced with excitement. For the first time in a long time I had hope, hope for a better brighter future.

Since being gamble free I have achieved more in my life than I ever thought possible and I am truly happy. I mean I still have **** days, everyone does, that's life but it's how I deal with these **** days that has helped me stay gamble free. I now talk to those I love about what's going on instead of holding it all in, I no longer hide from my problems, I face them head on and deal with them as they arise instead of letting them build and bog me down. I have a creative outlet in my Art work, put a pencil in my hand and my problems just fade away :cool: . Sometimes I wonder how I ever found the time or even the money to gamble.

Wow!! That's a long post haha :p :p I hope I didn't bore you. Sometimes you just gotta get it out of your head, you know.

Stay Strong Everyone.

JinxyWolf
    2 x
    Hello3 [facilitator]

Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:29 am

Hi @JinxyWolf that is really fantastic to hear! :D Thank you for giving us an update and sharing some strategies for managing as venues re-open. You are doing an amazing job!
    1 x
    pamela

Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:04 pm

Jinxywolf you HAVE come such a long way..
    I too thought I would never break the cycle of gambling but I did,just like you and many more.
    There is always hope and understanding,and it is never too late to start breaking that never ending cycle.
    Never give up and never give in
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”