Yay

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: Yay

Postby Jeddie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:17 pm

Lining up to play a pokie machine to lose your money. What a depressing picture 😱
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Oregon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:48 am

Jeddie wrote:Yesterday we went to a trash and treasure market. My favourite pastime. The market is held on the oval at a venue where there is pokies. 9am, I popped in for a quick walk through and there was 10 people playing already. What’s with that? and should it even be allowed? Front bars not allowed to open until 10 and Shops can’t open until 11 in Adelaide but pokies can open before most people are awake.. the machines can easily swallow up to $1200.00 an hour. You could lose your pay before breakfast time..my wish for everyone is not to ever go into a venue again.

When I worked in Sydney I could be down $1000 before 10am Monday. But the pokies are restricted to clubs and pubs here.
Most of the venues in Western Sydney advertise their VIP rooms open until 3, 4, 6am. I don't know when they start up but it seems like you could almost play them 24/7.
I was reading an article where a worker at one of these venues was interviewed. His was one of the last to close for the night. When the others around closed, everyone would come to the pub he worked in. He said there would be 100 people waiting to play one of the 44 machines.
At some level this has to be stopped. Too many people are ruining their lives to simply say "it's your choice to play". We on this forum are just a drop in the ocean.
Gamble free since 29.05.18
Oregon

Postby Jeddie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:24 am

Yesterday we went to a trash and treasure market. My favourite pastime. The market is held on the oval at a venue where there is pokies. 9am, I popped in for a quick walk through and there was 10 people playing already. What’s with that? and should it even be allowed? Front bars not allowed to open until 10 and Shops can’t open until 11 in Adelaide but pokies can open before most people are awake.. the machines can easily swallow up to $1200.00 an hour. You could lose your pay before breakfast time..my wish for everyone is not to ever go into a venue again.

Ps I had no desire to be player number 11, lol

65 days of not playing those evil machines😀
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Jeddie » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:28 pm

To Tja12345, I just want to say to read as much as you can. Sp many sad stories from people who have hit rock bottom and have clawed their way back.
and Springhope17, thank you for your kind words and support. Well done on getting through the bad patch
NOTHING is worse than sitting in that chair and feeding that ungrateful machine all your money.

In Adelaide we can only use coins in the machines. We can’t feed the notes in. I think that is a small bonus.

64 days GF
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Springhope17 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:01 pm

That's great Jeddie that you were having a really bad day and choose not to gamble!

It shows how far you have come.

I am in a similar situation today, everything has gone to crap! A few months ago I wouldn't of been able to deal with it- I would of rushed straight off to the pokies to forget about everything! I would of left feeling more angry and depressed.

But today I am saying NO you dont do that anymore. Just breathe!
Springhope17

Postby Tja12345 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:54 pm

I started reading the early posts on the forum just to get ideas from others
Tja12345

Postby Mona58 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:57 pm

Yay! Welcome to the Seniorhood!

Your presence and support is invaluable and priceless.

I too constantly peek in to read posts new and old!. It is what keeps me strong and helps me through my days. Most of all it keeps me sane and NORMAL!

Mona in day 48 GF
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby Oregon » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:56 am

Jeddie you are keeping these forums lit! Thanks for all your great posts! Keep it up
Gamble free since 29.05.18
Oregon

Postby Jeddie » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:03 am

Woo hoo, it just popped over and said I am now a Senior member. How wonderful ..feels like a reward..
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Jeddie » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:02 am

Good morning, 1/12/17 today. It was 1/10/17, the day I stopped playing. What a difference it makes. I am very proud of myself. Have money at home, money in my bank, money in my purse and lots of Xmas presents bought. 2 kilos heavier but I am not worrying about that. I have told my partner. Told my big brother who I am accountable too. I haven’t told everyone. I decided not everyone needed to know and so far what I am doing is working for me. I can walk past the two pokie venues that are in my street that I can see and at the moment do not seem to have any urges. I have worked out my urges and can surf through them. I have watched many dvds and read lots of sad stories. I have played some free pokies online but found them very boring. I do not want to play but it makes me sad that I can’t play them ever again. I know if I start I will keep going and that is not good. I will keep posting on here because it is one of the joys of my day. Perhaps I am addicted to checking the forum but that’s ok... thanks for reading my posts and I look forward to reading everyone else’s .

63 days approx
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

PreviousNext

Return to The Courtyard