Payday blues...

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: Payday blues...

Postby DFP » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:34 pm

Congratulations on good planning and good prevention strategies around pay day - and for making a good choice! Stay strong over the next few days - the disease might have a go at you tomorrow too!
Great story about buying chocolates this year, compared to not opening your door last Halloween. The disease makes us so mean. You're going great.
Always a 'work in progress'
DFP

Postby Mona58 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:58 pm

Thank you Spring!

l brought chocolates in case Little Halloweeners come tonight. I felt so bad last year not opening the door...

I am feeling great now and been reading more old posts.

Mona in day 17 GF ...just so relieved!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby Springhope » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:47 pm

Great work Mona!
Im so glad you were able to overcome the urges! You are doing so well.
Ive found it does get easier with time.
Another payday overcome!
Springhope

Postby Mona58 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:26 am

what a day! very nerve racking! Was even contemplating cancelling going shopping today . Really wanted to go to the supermarket which meant passIng two venues. I felt if I did not go and I changed my routine I was letting the pokies win and dictate my life. So I decided to brave it! Got to the supermarket.. ... it was strange as I shopped my thoughts kept driftIng to going to the pokies with just $20 and I had to keep telling myself this is a urge... ignore it... surf it... I was on tenterhooks! and realised I was filling up the trolley without thinking that I've got to fit it in my little trolley ! When I got to the self serve check out I'd stood there contemplating whether to get cash out for the Myki ... and decided not to. I could feel my heart racing and was holding my breath! Got outside and my eyes welled ... I had to sit down and then checked my phone! Low and behold the txt from Gamb Help ... "Feeling a urge?" and I almost burst into tears! It felt like ages till I got up the courage to make the trip home... I'm not sure if I'd ever walked so fast pass the venues before...

Arrived home... and l could just feel the stress drain from me... am all numb even as I write this I can feel tingling in my arms! weird!

I hate that the pokies dictate what I can and can't do. It is so stressful at this point in time but I know eventually l will get to where I won't waste any energy on those lifeless machines...

Mona in day 17 GF ... numb but happy ... it feels good!
Mona58

Postby Mona58 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:12 pm

Thanks Spring,

Yes l 'will transfer most money into the other account, leave that card home and have what will be enough for what I need, which because l did a big shop last pay l only need little.

Planning a look at Christmas presents and maybe lay-by.

Congrats on 59 days! Well done.

Mona in day 16 GF
Mona58

Postby Springhope17 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi Mona,

Make sure you put in place measures tomorrow to ensure you don't gamble!

Limiting access to cash has made sure I haven't cracked! 59 days GF today.

Just remember how far you have come and all the hard work you have put in so far.

All the best for tomorrow, stay strong and busy it helps!
Springhope17

Postby Mona58 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:27 pm

It's a wet day. Couldn't be bothered doing anything much So I read some old posts and found a link to a good explanation and advice on "urge-surfing". Which is just what I need at this point in my recovery

https://www.mindfulness.org.au/urge-surfing

Think l'll be able put those thoughts to stop smoking too.

Mona in day 16 GF and feeling a bit better!
Mona58

Postby Mona58 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:53 am

Thanks DFP

still feeling a bit worried about tomorrow.

Have been browsing through the informative information on the "Making a change" link on this site . Reflecting on temptation and urges ... and
"Thinking straight" ...

Thinking perhaps it safer for me for shop elsewhere tomorrow rather than risk having to walk pass the Venues... BUT at the same time I wonder if l am prolonging my recovery as eventually l will have to walk pass Them to get to my doctor and the supermarket l favour for some things.

l don't now feel tempted but am afraid of getting hit by a urge as I've come to understand from reading the explanation and posts mentioning them. l guess I'm gonna have to learn to "surf" through them if / when they hit.. stay strong and break the old habit!

Congratulations 68 gamble free days!

Mona in day 16
Mona58

Postby DFP » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:43 pm

I think it is a great sign that you are rationally thinking about the upcoming payday. Planning ahead. Accepting you need to put controls in place.
Make sure you have a plan for the day, and that you don't have access to cash in case the disease catches you off guard. Stay strong!!!!

I'm in day 68 today and feeling good.
Always a 'work in progress'
DFP

Postby Mona58 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:59 pm

Had a busy day and started to think about this "payday" coming... . determined to stay gamble free! Feeling a bit low now as I write. A neighbour had come around and talked about she'd gone to pokies last night which upset me a bit as she knows I'm on here.

But anyway got all the washing & ironing out of way, Baked a cake . Read posts. Did some knitting and watch TV the rest of the day.

Will have to find ways to keep occupied the next few days.

Mona in day 15 GF... just a tad worried .. ha ha!
Mona58

PreviousNext

Return to The Courtyard