My story

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: My story

Postby Shirley (facilitator) » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:03 pm

Hey Pikey, well done on taking the first steps toward taking back control. It is never easy and rarely do we master a new skill overnight. But you have started the process of change - so well done! Lean on this community and any other supports. Try GA meetings, the 100 day challenge, face to face or telephone gambling counselling. Learn about what your triggers are and how to manage urges. Be prepared for pay day by protecting your money. See a free financial counsellor who can freeze interest with lenders and get you on a budget / payment plan. And find other interests for your time. If you bet online, try blocking the sites from your phone. Otherwise look at self exclusion from venues. Willpower is never enough. You will need to call in all the supports. You can do this!
Shirley (facilitator)

Postby Pikey94 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:38 am

Felt like I just made a huge step in the right direction. Received some money today and I was honestly so close to putting it all into one bet. My heart was beating so fast. But I resisted and instead used it to pay off some of my credit card. Seeing that negative number go down was so satisfying! Centrelink payment comes in on Monday so hopefully I will do the same.
Pikey94

Postby Linda6 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:05 am

Hi Pikey

So sorry to read your posts, hope you are feeling better!

Keep trying, being part of this group is a wonderful thing, U are not alone.

Take care - Linda
Linda6

Postby Mona58 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:24 pm

Hi Pikey

Having exams .... I'm assuming you are at university. Universities have counsellors.
(I have no experience with financial counsellors thus not able to help). .

Mona
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby Pikey94 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:12 pm

Feeling better now than I was a few hours ago when I lost my money, thanks for asking. Tomorrow is another day and I'm going to try to focus on my exams and sort my life out. I'll make an appointment with a financial counselor to see what they can do about my credit card debt ($7.6k). Has anyone had experience with financial counselor? I really just want to get that paid off as quick as possible to get that burden out of the way.
Pikey94

Postby 4Eva4Me4MyKids » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:44 pm

Hey pikey,
I know that feeling all too well.
Are you ok? Are you feeling safe?
4Eva4Me4MyKids

Postby Pikey94 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:39 pm

Thanks for your response Jeddie,

I guess all I can do is pick myself up and have a positive outlook. Yes, it is very hard to give up online gambling as it is always at the tip of your fingers. Whether it be your PC, laptop or phone. So it distracts me from all other parts of my life because its always there. Its especially bad at this time because I have exams coming up. But once again, I am going to try and stop.
Pikey94

Postby Jeddie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:13 pm

Hi Pikey94, hi there, I am sure most of us have lied to someone about our gambling. Keep saying you are going to stop over and over again and eventually it can happen. Don’t beat yourself up over the relapse because you are amongst friends here. Read and re read posts on here and watch as many videos that you can find on google.
I don’t do online gambling but from here I have gathered they are very hard to give up become instead of you going to a venue they come to you in your own home. I can’t begin to understand how terrible that is.
I hope someone with much more experience than me answers you soon with some quitting ideas.

26fg days
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Pikey94 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi guys,

In my last post, I said that I would stop gambling and start paying off my debts but as I'm sure most of you have experienced, that is just a lie we tell ourselves. Another week of my pay is gone and I don't know what to do with myself. All I can do is keep trying but its a long road ahead.
Pikey94

Postby Mona58 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:18 pm

Hello and welcome.

it won't be easy but you CAN do it!

Mona on day 5 GF exhausted but pleased!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

PreviousNext

Return to The Courtyard