Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • To The One's I Love

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    pamela

Re: To The One's I Love

Tue May 30, 2017 11:46 pm

Fantastic work Lee..no looking back now just onwards..
    Pam
    0 x
    FamilyFirst

Wed May 31, 2017 10:04 pm

Hello all,
    Thanks for the kind words yesterday :)
    My partner spoiled me with a bottle of Scotch and a Tues. night lotto ticket.. won div.7 twice, so she can use that money ($30.90); for something she wants, i have no need for it :eek:
    Funny me saying that, but honestly I don't feel like I want or need to have any money for myself anymore.
    See how that plays out..
    Cold Turkey on the smokes.. Day 3, really on edge, only did a half day at work, then i did some gardening at home from lunchtime to dusk, just desperately trying to fill the day, my thoughts are a scattered mess. Tomorrow WILL be a better day.
    Hope we all try hard to enjoy a gamble free day tomorrow,
    Cheers, Lee
    0 x
    Broken

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:29 am

100 days - awesome Job Lee. You inspire me to believe this is achievable. Smokes will be tough - but you've already proved you can commit so good on you. Have a fabulous smoke and gamble free day.
    0 x
    Jerry (facilitator)

Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:18 am

Congratulates Lee,

100 days is fantastic.

it sounds like the second 50 were easier than the first 50.

That also tends to be the way with the second 100.

Gambling urges never really go away, they just get easier and easier to cope with as time passes.

Running sounds like it is going to make a great replacement for gambling. Keep up the great work
    0 x
    FamilyFirst

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:21 pm

Hello all,

Still gamble free,
    Still smoke free....
    Been struggling with urges (nicotine) so not much time for gambling thoughts! I'm starting to feel a bit better now, sleep is becoming almost back to normal.

Really doing some soul searching now, I feel almost lost. Like I don't know who I am anymore, I have changed my lifestyle and habits so suddenly I don't know what to do now.

Oh well, I'll be alright,
    Cheers, Lee
    0 x
    JinxyWolf

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:46 pm

Hey Lee,

Glad to hear you are still on track and to add quitting smoking to the list as well shows how strong you really are.

I know what you mean, we make all these changes in our lives and then begin to wonder "who am I without gambling ". I still haven't fully figured that out but I feel I'm getting closer everyday.
    They say it takes between 3 and 6 months for your brain to return to some normalcy once you quit gambling. Here we are, just shy of 4 months gamble free so it's no wonder we still feel a bit lost.

I guess all we can do it keep moving forward, keep our guard up and given enough time we will find our path once again.

Be well...

JinxyWolf
    0 x
    pamela

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:15 am

Hi Lee.what you are feeling is quite normal..all part of the withdrawal process...I also went through this thought process..I felt that I had changed and given up so much..but the rest of the world was the same and I felt cheated..it took me a few months to feel really settled so hang in there ..
    0 x
    FamilyFirst

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi everyone,

Just checking in to say I'm well, hope everyone else is o.k too?
    Back on the smokes... but only been having 3 or 4 a day since Thursday. Its a start and I know I can kick them soon when I'm ready. I won't mention this topic here anymore.

My abstinence from gambling is going great and I'm finding that I'm thinking about gambling a lot less now. I can attribute this to the fact I still have no access to money, hence no temptation that I can act upon.

My debts will be finalized with the ATO ironically on the 30/06/17 (EOFY) So I'll be able to start the new financial year debt free :cool:
    I've also got my next PAYG installment saved already so onwards and upwards we go, yay.
    We still have one old loan of my partners to pay, but my focus to pay that off was always blurred by feeding the pokies instead.. So it will be great to finally start paying that off once and for all.

Oh well better go anyway, wish you all a great gamble free weekend, take care.

cheers, Lee
    0 x
    pamela

Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Well done Lee..all steps in the right direction..have a great weekend
    0 x
    Jerry (facilitator)

Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi Lee,

you mentioned a while ago that "I have changed my lifestyle and habits so suddenly I don't know what to do now." I think that for the majority of people quitting gambling, this is the big question that they have to answer. Now that you are not gambling, what will you do with the time you used to spend on gambling?

you also said that you rely on not having access to money and that you are likely to fix your debts come the end of the financial year. It looks like you are going to have to start to find a new way to overcome your urges.

I think hobbies are the way to go. Do you have any new hobbies? What sorts of things are you doing with the time you used to spend gambling?
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”