Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • To The One's I Love

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Suzy2

Re: To The One's I Love

Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:10 am

So inspiring to read your last post!! Congratulations. I'm 20 days GF so not far behind you and am feeling the same benefits as you! The urges are still coming but I am becoming better at dismissing them! That voice that tempts just one more play! Just $20 is very dangerous and if I start the merry go round off again it will only lead to misery!!
    Being able to eliminate cash as you have done takes the risk away. I am not able to completely go cashless however there has obviously been a big change as cash is sitting in my wallet and I have actually made deposits instead of withdrawals which is a first for me!! I now get a kick out of budgeting and calculating how much I can save in 3 months 6 months etc!
    Great to hear you have so much support and that your relationships are benefiting!!
    Keep Going it's worth it!!!

Suzy
    0 x
    pamela

Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:22 am

You are doing really well and you are all ready noticing the changes ..being gamble free is the best feeling abd it allows you to enjoy yourself and your family and life..stay positive
    0 x
    FamilyFirst

Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks again for the encouraging words, well done to you Suzy keep up the good work!

One thing you said stood out to me about the just chuck in a quick $20 got me thinking about the random thought I had the other day. That if I was to like find $20 or $50 randomly in the street I really think it would be a struggle for me not to end up in a pub or lotto kiosk. My job sees me on the roads everyday and it does happen, I'm always finding coins. So to stop myself I've pledged to put any money I may find into the kids piggy banks.

On a different note my partner just said "I can't wait until I can drive past a pub and not feel like I have to look to see your car there". It made me feel sad and angry too but telling myself it's now been 32 days since my last bet brings a smile to my face. Thanks for listening I wish you all a gamble free day!

32 days GF
    0 x
    annnie

Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:32 pm

Hi,

Simply enjoy that feeling that you are experiencing , may all those around you enjoy it too !!!! ( my shortest post yet I think ! )

Take care , love those happy moments , thanks for your support also, ( happy posts give balance and encouragement )

Take care,
    0 x
    Charlotte (facilitator)

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:05 pm

Hey, congrats for reaching 30 days :)
    And Suzy, to you for reaching 20 days :)

Keep it up folks, and have a lovely GF weekend.

Charlotte
    0 x
    Suzy2

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks for the congrats!
    Wow you are doing well too! Does it feel like a lot longer that you have been GF? Is dies for me. I am impatient for it to be longer. Perhaps that's because I'm hopeful this nightmare will be a distant memory!!! Of course the fact that I lost my home will play a major part in my future however at this stage I am healthy will family that live me!!
    0 x
    Suzy2

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:21 pm

Oh dear U pushed submit before I was finished!!
    I was saying that being healthy with family that love and care for me are worth everything! The future is a bit scary but will be even scarier if I continue to gamble!
    Treasure your wife and children! They are everything and deserve to have a healthy and happy you!!!! Choose to live FREE!!! No more slaving your guts out to line the pockets of the people who benefit from these soul destroying machines!!!
    Hope you have a happy and GF weekend!

Suzy
    0 x
    Suzy2

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:14 pm

How are things going for you? Certainly sounds as though you are travelling well!

There will be highs and lows! I'm finding that at 3 weeks GF but much more high than low!

Take Care
    0 x
    FamilyFirst

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm going well thanks, I've just enjoyed another GF weekend and I hope everyone else kicked that urge back too.

We are noticing quite a number of changes in our finances now, we were able to purchase a new 3 seat sofa and matching recliners today and a few basic clothes for everyone we needed. Also we started a savings account for a Christmas holiday a couple weeks ago.

None of this would have been possible without the will to remain gamble free. I also was able to get a carton of beer this weekend so I've been rewarded for my efforts. I've been reading LOTS too, just starting with all my old favorites first but will get to some new ones soon. I find myself thinking less and less about the horrible pastime I used to have every week. Now focussing on the garden also and I'm going to have the best veggies around this winter! Take care everyone I must go and read!!

Cheers

35 Days GF
    0 x
    Suzy2

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Great to here you are doing well!!
    I had a great weekend! Lots of jobs completed plus relaxation time however this afternoon I have no comittments with cash in my wallet and I have a yearning to play! Bit like a festering sore!! It will be one month on Thursday and I too are seeing benefits. I want this to continue and for that to happen I have to stay strong! The thought of going back to Day 1 and feeling distraught is enough of a deterrent!!

Stay strong!!

Suzy
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”