Tired and fed up

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: Tired and fed up

Postby Suzy2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:01 am

Hi Jono!
ITom I can say it is a month gamble free! The first 3 weeks have been bearable however for the last few days I have been yearning to play the pokies and it doesn't seem to be easing!! Pay Day also Tom but I'm not worried about that and am full committed to staying free however I wish this empty feeling would ease!

You did so well to visit the venues and stay strong!! Well done!! I had the ultimate challenge when I had to accompany an elderly client to the pokies and sit and watch her play!! I thought it would be torture but it was ok. I'm not allowed to play when working anyway so that made it easier!

Stay strong
Suzy2

Postby pamela » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:50 am

Jonno you did really well to resist .but you did.I honestly believe we all go through a mourning period and its quite natural as we are giving up something that was a big part of our lives.But the result is worth it and it wont be long before you will be able to go into a club and enjoy yourself without being waware of the lights and noises.Stay strong and embrace your new life
pamela

Postby Giveupforgood » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:57 am

Thats really sad izzi,

Be strong keep trying. Ive been to that place u are now and its not fun. I am very close to slipping back there again but determined not to let it happen again.

I had my first tough day yesterday. Its always the silly things that get you. I was cleaning out my wallet and found my tab account card! I had forgotten all about it. I threw it in the bin but i suppose it kinda hit me and made it feel real. Also last night i went out to a club for dinner. The dark club lit up by the bright gambling lights hit me straight away. Once again stayed strong and didnt have a bet or anything. I cant help but think how long forever is and what a big commitment and how much hard work and self control (not my strong point) this is all going to take. Anyway going strong for now.
Giveupforgood

Postby Izzi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:12 pm

Hey Jonno,

I am 34, so I can totally relate to what it is like at our age having a gambling addiction. The 30's is where we are supposed to have everything together and be making a difference. In just over a week I will be 35, single, living with parents and drowning in a massive pile of debt and trust me you do not want your life to go so backwards that this is how your life pans out.
For the past week, I have constantly heard this voice in my head say: Izzi, you are almost 35 WTF is wrong with you! I do not even know what is wrong with me, I do not know how to stop this to make all of this go away. All I know and the advice that I can offer is that Jonno you just have to try. Otherwise, if you don't and you stop fighting then it is all over. To be honest I do not even know what I am fighting for, I have lost everything and I feel so dead inside. My work mates all think I am this cheery funny girl, who is good for a laugh, little do they know the constant pain and regret I feel on a daily basis. The only thing keeping my feet on the ground is my fighting spirit, although I feel so lost, I have to keep believing that this will all soon be behind me. And all my dreams, hopes and wishes will some day will come to pass. In years to come when I finally meet someone crazy enough to want to marry me, I will look back and be so proud that is all in the past.

You need to do whatever it takes to stop because if you do not stop, you will be fighting for more than just the addiction, trust me.
Izzi

Postby Giveupforgood » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:27 pm

Thanks for all the kind messages. They really do help. Im feeling so good about it all at the moment. I not counting days as yet. As mentioned im taking $500 to vegas to gamble. We planned this about 2 years ago and im comfortable to still go ahead with that as mentioned earlier in my posts. I know many dont agree but im keen to start counting my days after this and watch the days, months, years go by feeling stronger each day. To the fella that said he couldnt even make 96 days.....thats a great effort bud. I dont know if ive ever gone that long since i turned 18! Have another crack and keep your chin up!
Giveupforgood

Postby suz-free » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:50 am

Hi beautiful friend, first of all, I like your name. My 21 yo son lost a good friend with same name (Jonno) who just turned 21, on Boxing Day last year, crashed a golf buggy on road, passed from head injury. He was a good guy, very intelligent & helpful. So when I first saw your post, was reminded of him. Next, your story reminds me of what I'm going through too. I've been a pokie addict for last few years, but started when I was 18 when my dad (who also plays pokies every week) and some relatives, we visited a pokie venue while camping at the Murray River, NSW. This was my first experience and the bad seed was planted in me. Though I wasn't addicted at first, my addiction grew heavy in last few years. I have been on a roller coaster bumpy ride in my life these last few years, relationships, moving place several times (and about to move again), lots of stress, & pressures i have so my wind down time was pokies! I'll go as soon as any money is in my bank and then it's all gone, usually in one day. I've been broke for last few years, and have bad credit so can never apply for rentals, phone plans, payment plans, etc. I am fairly new here and on a quitting path but at the same time like you, it frightens me to think how I can live without the gaming, they have been with me for long time, it was my only big interest for these last few years. I thought maybe I could just go on weekends but on the weekend, I had an awful experience of my losses again and was reminded that escaping on the weekends to the gaming venues is not going to get me anywhere in finances. I also became an emotional & terrible angry person there so I knew my recovery is not going to work during the week unless I quit it completely. I hope people like you and me can do it. I'm pretty sure we can, we have to be strong and get our minds off it. Think of a new interest like bowling with your partner or a good friend, opening a business from home selling. I do eBay selling and want to increase my business so will try to stay focused on that and keep myself busy that way. Keep coming here, I'll add you as a friend and we can share ideas of how to stay away from those terrible gaming places, be it pokies or horse racing! Keep at it on the quitting path, I'm going to try my best too. Suzy
suz-free

Postby annnie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:12 am

Hi Jonno

our experiences with gambling are all different and we just have to work our way through the maze to find the right path to take to find ourselves and begin making changes or just find understanding & look at underlying issues. That's great you were able to watch the races and not contribute financially. You are on a good track, taking steps and determined to work through this, that's the key . Stay focussed.

Take care.

Hi Popeye,

Keep at it, your familiar with the process , back on the bike and riding . You can do this , stay focussed.

Take care
annnie

Postby POPEYE » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:08 am

Last edited by POPEYE on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POPEYE

Postby Giveupforgood » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:20 pm

Still going strong. I think i have worked out one of the keys to me taming this nasty beast. The thing that has always got me back is the hirse racing.... i love it.....everything about it. I am a problem gambler when im in the pokies but i could easily give them away at anytime. Its the love for the horses. What i plan on doing over the next few months is try and still follow the races without having a bet. Enjoy it for the sport it is. I done this on the weekend and it worked well......i just watched a couple of the major races that i was interested in and that was it. To my amazement i actually enjoyed it. One of the horses i usually backed win and rather than getting the **** i was juat as happy to see it win. I do the same thing with all the other sposts i love (dont bet on them) so i dont see why this cant be any different. I know you guys will probably disagree with this stratergy but we're all different. I know if i just say ok no races ever again dont even watch it will get eventually. I feel this different stratergy is worth a try. I also have a share in a couple of horses so i will always watch them anyway. I will see how it all goes anyway. Im still as determined today as i was last week so that can only be good. As for the appointment with a counsellor i have to go to the doctors when i return from holidays so i am going to chat to him about it and that way i should get on a care plan and get the correct help that i need. As i mentioned i am going to start with a psycologist and go from there. I have alot in my head that i want to get out soni can start living again. Thanks for the messages, feedback and support it means alot to me.
Giveupforgood

Postby annnie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:31 am

Hi,

Still angry at gambling & does it make sense ? STAY ANGRY at gambling and it will help you, don't loose the anger that's when the fight is harder. If you're not angry then you become ok with it. Not angry at yourself but angry with gambling, be ok with yourself.

How about organising the counsellors apt before going away, what might be holding you back ?
annnie

PreviousNext

Return to The Courtyard