Tired and fed up

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: Tired and fed up

Postby Giveupforgood » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:54 pm

Maybe switching focus was the wrong way of putting it. More or less i want to feel like i have acheived something. As mentioned i have failed my goal of not gambling for 100 days so i have moved my focus to not gambling for 100 days on the horses/dogs. No this doesnt mean i will be having a free for all on the pokies everyday it just means ive kind of cheated and changed my goal but if it helps me in the long run im more than happy with that. I dont sit around during the day hanging out and thinking about the pokies like i do with the races. For the record i have played pokies again on 1 occasion since. It was pre meditated i went out with a couple of mates who like to play i left my cards at home and took an amount of money with me i was happy to lose if there is such a thing. I enjoyed it had a nice time and it didnt get me down in any way whatsoever.

I am also proud to say that its been 42 days since i have had a bet on the races.....thats the most ive gone in as long as i can remember. Its probably the first time in a long time that i havent even been interested or following the results or looking ahead to see what horses are running on the weekend. Its truely a great feeling. There have been a few times that i have thought about it however ive just stayed strong and told myself no. Its the first time ive felt confident about making it to the magical 100 mark......so confident im starting to think about what my next goal will be from there. Im not niave enough to think i will be cured should i get that for so working out what i do from there is something i need to think about.
Giveupforgood

Postby Jc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:12 pm

Giveupforgood wrote:Hi guys.....well 30 days in and i slipped up. Played the pokies with some mates after dinner one night. Didnt get carried away but a bets a bet nevertheless. This was a few days ago and i havent had the urge since which is good. As mentioned my real problem is the horses and greyhounds ect. So i am switching my focus. I really wanna make it to 100 days with out a bet on the races. This is something i havent acheived since i turned 18. Im Not beating myself up over it just going to keep trudging on as best possible.

What do you mean switching your focus? Does that mean you’ll bet on pokies but not on races?

Hope all is well.
Jc

Postby Cazza » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:54 pm

Hi , hey how did you go over the weekend. All good i hope ?
Cazza

Postby Wenna (facilitator) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi Giveupforgood, its good you checked in and it sounds like you are still on track to achieve your 100 days without a bet on the races. 30 Days is a good achievement and it sounds like you have a strategy to stay focused. Keep with it.

All the best
Wenna
Wenna (facilitator)

Postby Giveupforgood » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:29 pm

Hi guys.....well 30 days in and i slipped up. Played the pokies with some mates after dinner one night. Didnt get carried away but a bets a bet nevertheless. This was a few days ago and i havent had the urge since which is good. As mentioned my real problem is the horses and greyhounds ect. So i am switching my focus. I really wanna make it to 100 days with out a bet on the races. This is something i havent acheived since i turned 18. Im Not beating myself up over it just going to keep trudging on as best possible.
Giveupforgood

Postby Calvin (facilitator) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi Giveupforgood,

Its Calvin here, one of the facilitators.
Well done on day 25 !! You're doing really well. Yes you may still experience urges and triggers, like others have said these will become less frequent.
If you feel you have urges maybe keep a diary to log these in or give gamblers helpline a call just to debrief or to get a referral for a counsellor 1800858858.

Keep up the great work.

Regards,

Calvin
Calvin (facilitator)

Postby JinxyWolf » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:08 pm

Giveupforgood,

15 Days that's great.

I know you really don't feel like you want to give up for good but as the days go by i think you'll find that you're a lot happier with gambling out of your life. Do you really want to go back to that merry go round of feeling like crap after you've had a binge. That feeling of wanting to go back will pass, let it.

You don't need it in your life. Of course, it is your choice but just remember how good you feel know and how crappy you felt after gambling.

When I first started my journey I also doubted my commitment but as time when by and I met one challenge after another and triumphed, my confidence grew as did my commitment to being gamble free. I hope the same is true for you. Just one gamble free moment at a time.

Stay strong and be well.

JinxyWolf
JinxyWolf

Postby Giveupforgood » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:53 pm

Already up to day 15....so much happier already! Last saturday was the first time in 20 years i actually forgot to check the race results in 15 years! It was a weird feeling the next day lol. Whilst im going well and not thinking about it at the moment i still have the feeling that i will go back to it and whilst going well and seeing the change in my life i still dont have the want or desire to give up for good......im just enjoying the time off while it lasts anyways
Giveupforgood

Postby Cazza » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:55 pm

Well done already into your 2nd week.
Keep your blocks in place and wishing you strength to staying GF 😊
Cazza

Postby Giveupforgood » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:21 pm

Had a great weekend with family and still no bets. I have barley even thought about it. I unfollowed all the horse racing and gambling sites on my facebook which has hekped me forget about it. It really is amazing what a difference this makes. I did look up the race results saturday night......old habits die hard i guess but thats the only negative. So day 8 trudgjng on to 100 is my first goal.
Giveupforgood

PreviousNext

Return to The Courtyard