Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesday from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • WoW Where do I Start

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Sealz

Re: WoW Where do I Start

Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:46 pm

Hello Everyone

My name is Cecelia and I am a Compulsive Gambler.

The last time I gambled was on the 5th March 2017!
    WoW when I think of it now, it only feels like yesterday that the meltdown began.
    I have been gamble free since this time. My gambling of choice was the Poker Machines.

What a journey it has been.
    It is a crippling disease.
    I am thankful to my husband and my adult children. My GA Meetings on Friday which I now attend once a month or just when I feel like heading down to see the team. To my girlfriends and my gorgeous dog who gives a good cuddle when i need it most.

Boy O Boy have I learnt about me.
    How hard it is to just be true to the day.
    I notice when I slip back into the old ways of thinking and I stop and just breath through the moment.
    Never in a million years did I ever think I had a problem.

Today I enjoy a well brewed coffee and a wonderful sleep at night.
    Girlfriend chat chats and a real conversation with my darling.
    So to all who suffer with this horrid addiction, there really is pure happiness.
    2 x
    flipper (facilitator)

Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:37 pm

Hi Cil,

Thank you for sharing your experience with gambling and the journey to recovery! For many people, once stuck in the vicious cycle of gambling it can feel like there is no way out, but it sounds like you made the most of the supports available to you and came out the other end- which would not have been easy and you should be so proud of yourself for it.

I appreciate what you said about taking a breath through the moment when you feel yourself slipping back into old thought patterns. The urge can feel overwhelming at times, but like anything it too does pass and it's about finding what works for you in those moments.

Take care and well done!

Flipper
    0 x
    Mona58

Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks for popping in Cil! Very inspiring to read your post. Well done on conquering the gamble demon!
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Cazza

Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:00 pm

Hi Cil what a fantastic post to read. I love this forum for how people pop back in and give advice for new people and inspiration that living a GF life is possible. Thank you
    0 x
    Sealz

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:27 am

HAPPY NEW YEAR GA TEAM!!
    Nearly 2 years clean and I had a fluttery flash back of how I would move through a day.
    It stopped me in my tracks.
    It made me realise just how far Ive come.
    All the changes that Ive made.
    All the people who supported and still support me.
    Ive been helping others that suffer through there own addictions just by listening and hearing them tell their story.
    And sharing my own story with them as gambling is a hidden diease.
    I dont have pink spots to tell someone I am a compulsive gambler.
    My share with them is relateable.
    And to some family members shocking.
    I have lunch with 3 wonderful ladies once a month its a date I get all excited about.
    Our shares are sooooo helpful.
    It really is a great time to be me.

Thank you GA Online
    Forever Greatful Xx
    5 x
    dragon007 (facilitator)

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:09 pm

Well done Cil and thank you for sharing your inspirational story.
    1 x
    onemorechance

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:18 pm

Congrats Cil, it's a really fantastic feeling isn't it!

It is so important to remember how far you have come, it really isn't easy to knock an addiction on the head and for those that achieve it such pure happiness comes.

I am 16 months into my recovery and to feel proud of myself and no longer feel the shame that gambling gave is in itself an incredible feeling.

I am so glad there are others out there that are fighting this horrible addiction head on and winning. Well done :);
    3 x
    How the F did I get here

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:44 am

Cecilia!!! Well done. 2 years, that is absolutely fabulous. Thank you for sharing your progress. I am stoked for you.

Sounds like life is beautiful for you now.
    I remember your very first post on this thread, actually I also just went back and read it again also.

Desperation and guilt over that money you took and your kids having to pay, boy have you come a long way.

Thank you for sharing your success, you really helps me so much. When reading how well your life is going and how it different it is compared to what it once was, It gives me strength to believe that my life too can be amazing like yours. I can right my wrongs and leave my shitting times behind.

It's wonderful that you are out there helping others and catching up with some friends and sharing your stories, it really does help sharing your story hey, I think that's why this forum helps me quite so much.

Anyway keep up the strength
    And enjoy your wonderful life x
    2 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:52 pm

Congratulations, what a success!

"It really is a great time to be me." - I love this! What a fantastic feeling, thank you for sharing :)
    1 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:53 pm

Congratulations, what a success!

"It really is a great time to be me." - I love this! What a fantastic feeling, thank you for sharing :)
    2 x

Return to “Change Makers”