Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Changes

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Stoop17

Changes

Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:07 pm

Hey everyone

Pretty daunting experience this but I’ve been reading all the forums for the past 2 hours. Reading everyone’s story makes me feel like there is a lot of help out there and im not the only one on a difficult journey that has only just begun.
    Been gambling for 15 years now and have never known anything else, growing up going to the races with mates was the thing to do but as I suddenly got older, gambling via the phone and having access to loose cash was dangerous.
    My partner has talked to me in the past and im sick of living a huge lie to everyone including family who have once spoken to me and sat me down before , they are under the impression I quit 4 years ago but in fact I never stopped
    This needs to stop now and I’m going downhill and need to reassure myself that I will get out of this hole

Take care Rick
    3 x
    AGHS

Re: Changes

Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:34 am

Hi Rick, firstly it is great that you have joined this forum....a sign that you want to do something about your gambling. From reading your story I feel that one of your first steps should be telling your family that you have been lying to them. The lying comes hand in hand with gambling unfortunately but in order for you to be accountable and transparent, being honest not only to yourself but to those that care about you us very important. We all know on this forum to what extent we would go to cover up and enable our gambling addiction and I know there were a few things I said or did that I am not proud of at all.....just so as I could gamble. Barring yourself from the places you gamble, speaking to a counsellor and the counsellor can also provide support to anyone else around you that may be impacted by your gambling, the 100 day challenge, telephone support and the list goes on. If you don't start doing something about your gambling addiction this will be with you for many years to come. Keep posting on this forum also....lots of very helpful support and information.
    2 x
    Ultramarine

Re: Changes

Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:12 pm

Hi @Stoop17 . How are you doing now? Any update on your recovery or behavior? It's good to read about the ups and downs of people. Sharing is important for letting out your thoughts.
    Researching for self help remedies, I found out in https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/ and https://penmypaper.com/, some healthy alternatives to postpone gambling - picking out a physical activity or regular gym, meditation, spending time with good and positive company, volunteering in shelters or other social service, exploring new hobbies, travelling, avoiding isolation, create distraction by watching movies or series, live one day at a time and forget the yesterdays. And of course, there are support groups and counselling/therapists. Following one of these each day or following a healthy schedule regularly may help you postpone your urge day by day. Please do try.
    I am (or was) struggling with my brother's addiction. After completing his counselling he was about to get back onto his old form, but he tried and for a distract he has now enrolled himself into a social service. We just hope it continues this way.
    I wonder why does gambling exist. Is it legal and helping the economy? I mean why don't they take off the sources itself?
    1 x
    One step at a time towards betterment.

Return to “Change Makers”