Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Day 1 after a massive relapse

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    yep123

Re: Day 1 after a massive relapse

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:03 am

Hi @Anita44

How are you?
    I am doing so well! gamble free life is the best! i never want to go back!

I am so proud, and proud of you too! we are making a better life!

I am still facing the consequences of my gamble relapse, but i am further than i was before!
    3 x
    Anita44

Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:14 pm

Hi yep123

It's was lovely to hear from you, and knowing that you are happy with your life.
    Thank you yes I am very proud of myself and I am proud of you too.
    I been treat myself with alots of nice thing that I wouldn't before, cos I choose to gamble instead.
    I never thought that I would able to give up gamble like this.
    Well just take it easy one day at the time.
    2 x
    Printemps

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:53 pm

hey @yep123 I just wanted to touch base seeing as you're now at 100 days into your 100 Day Challenge!

A massive congratulations to you!

This is such an exciting milestone! How are you feeling and how have you been tracking?

This journey has taken some work but you have really perceived and given it so much drive and determination! :o

It's been a privilege for myself and @Lovely Cat Lady to be alongside you for this journey!

Is there any advice or tips you'd like to share with the other forum members?
    0 x
    yep123

Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:50 am

Hi @Printemps ,

How are you?

I have had an another massive relapse. I am shock, thought i had all the things in place so it couldn't happen :(
    0 x
    Printemps

Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:30 pm

@yep123 I'm sorry to hear about your relapse, while it's really difficult and as you say, shocking, to process that you've had this lapse, It's really important to recognise how far you've come and keep in mind that they are a really common element of the recovery journey. You have clearly had really good strategies in place to get you this far, but following this lapse, what maybe needs to be adjusted to help you get back on track?

I realise right now this might be a difficult thing to do, but be kind to yourself. Remember, you've come really far, you can get back on track and keep going. Look at this as a learning experience and reflect on what triggered the lapse and how you might be able to avoid that same trigger in future.

It's really great that you came back ad shared this. It takes strength to be open when we've had a wobble, so good on you. Remember, we're all here to support you, let us know how you're travelling this weekend.
    1 x
    yep123

Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:32 am

Hi @Printemps

I am still in shock and pretty upset about it., not sleeping much and waking up in a full panic. I think i have come to terms that i just need to start again. I have done it before, so i can do it again.

A new trigger that wasn't there before was my friends were always talking about gambling and winning. So i jumped back on and thought maybe i could win. There is no winning in gambling, i now think my mates were talking about the winnings, but they never talked about the losing. I now realise that it can happen in a day for me, the day before being happy and on track in life, then one trigger can destroy that.

Today i am trying to think about all the good things in my life and that i am grateful for, not thinking about how much money i gambled.
    These are, " Happy to be healthy and living, I have a job and somewhere to live.

I am going to start the 100 days again. :)
    2 x
    Printemps

Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:32 pm

@yep123 it sounds like you've had a serious reflection on your triggers, which is really fantastic. Do you feel that this is something you can mention to your mates? Like ask them to tone down the betting chat etc?

If you can't, do you have any strategies for managing that trigger moving forward?

Jumping back into the 100 Day Challenge is really great, you're getting right back on track and focusing on the good things. You're totally right in not focusing on your losses, because it won't get you anywhere! Just take it one day at a time, one foot in front of the other.

We'll all be right aside you in this challenge!
    0 x
    yep123

Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:36 pm

Hi @Printemps

i don't feel like i could talk to them yet about how severe my addiction is, maybe later on.

When they do talk about gambling, i am thinking i may use techniques such as thinking about staying focus, or even think about how upset and destroyed i was on my last gambling lapse. I am not sure what else to do.

Yes, one foot in front of the other. I just realise now after last time, that i need to manage this addiction for the rest of my life. It can literally come back in a second. I need to put strategies in place now that i didn't before. Things i used before that worked were, i purchased gamban, i opened a savings account that each pay allot would go into and i banned myself from a lot of sports betting websites.

My down fall this time was, gamban wasn't on my phone as i only had it on my laptop, that is how i was able to find a sports betting website that i didn't ban myself on.
    I have read on here about calling banks up and they can ban you from depositing money on betting websites. So that's what i will do this time.
    0 x
    Kevcollingwood

Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:06 pm

@yep123, can relate to how you are feeling, have done the same after 11 months, I agree and support what you are saying, we can not win! Even if we do we give it all back, stay strong and unfortunately we have to avoid conversations when people speaking of winning and having fun punting, I saw people getting spins and winning on a lot of machines, that ended when I put my money in. We cannot win!!
    0 x
    yep123

Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:18 pm

Hi @Kevcollingwood

It is a struggle, it's everywhere in our society on TV, streets etc. I just think it's a horrible addiction, i am just hoping i can get it under control now, otherwise my future is not looking good. i am sad i have had my lapse right before Christmas as well :( but just have to keep moving forward.
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”