Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    pamela

Re: New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:39 pm

Hi and welcome.
    You have taken a big step in coming here and admitting to a problem..well done for that
    There are plenty of us here that have been in the same boat,but with determination have kicked the habit,and you can too ,with hard work
    Come here for support often
    Good luck
    0 x
    User 5b23811d1360e

Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:56 pm

Hi there,
    I am a single 33.yr old male who has being gambling constantly for the last 8 years.
    I have no savings and not one other person knows the situation I am in.
    I suffer major depression and anxiety which im dealing with slowly but the gambling is the more serious problem. Ive also become recluse from all my family and have social anxiety which I hate.
    All i feel like doing is giving up on life
    Thanks for giving me an opportunity to talk.
    0 x
    JinxyWolf

Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:31 pm

Hi and Welcome to the forum,

I applaud you for reaching out, it is a big step and you should give yourself a pat on the back for having the courage to do so.

I can understand a little about what you are going through and although I myself don't suffer from depression I am also single, I still have family connections but I don't have any friends. I am friendly with the people I work with but do not socialize outside of work. For me gambling was a way to be around people with out having to interact with them. I too find it very had to be in social situations, I don't like crowds, I don't like bars and I struggle to be around people I don't know, which as you know makes it hard to form any sort of connections with people. Gambling has a way of isolating you from your life until it's all you really think about, until it consumes your whole thought process. But once the gambling fog starts to lift and things become clearer your focus can shift to rebuilding those relationships that have been pushed to the side. I strengthened my family relationships and although friendships are still though I am continuing to try to push through my own socials fears.

Joining this forum, at least to me, shows that you don't want to give up on life, your just not sure how to move forward. The tools here and the councellors here can give you ways to move forward and help you on this journey. Joining this forum is an awesome first step and one of many that can get you on track to beating this addiction.

I wish you all the best on your journey.

JinxyWolf
    0 x
    User 5b23811d1360e

Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:47 pm

Thank you for your kind words JinxyWolf, I can relate to what your saying.
    Im not sure I know what a relationship is atm so I have alot of work to do. Low self-esteem and minimal confidence isnt helping so hopefully I can tag along with people on this forum.
    Thanks,
    0 x
    pamela

Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:28 am

Hi and welcome
    By coming here it shows you are heading in the right direction,its the first step
    I do not suffer from anxiety but like most gamblers,I found comfort being around people I didn't know,as it filled my social need.
    This forum can help you stay connected,and offer support
    Take each day one at a time as you start this process of giving up gambling,and slowly you will gain more confidence and self esteem.
    Gambling can be very isolating,but giving up is liberating
    Fight the good fight
    There are many resources available to help you
    Come here for support and advice
    Good luck
    1 x
    User 5b23811d1360e

Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:53 pm

Hi Jarrad ,Frankie and Kayla.
    Thank you all for posting about your issues.
    Like you I have taken the step to admit my faults and addictions.
    This journey is going to be super difficult and the only people i think that can help me at this stage is like minded people going through the same thing. I feel i need to connect with you guys and others in order to move forward.
    I have felt sick in the stomach, felt like a *******, a cheat, a whinger, a mug all day after my actions over the weekend. I know its going to be hard this weekend after my pay goes in to not gamble and chase my losses but I will log on and say gday to take my mind off the gambling.
    Day 2 of a long,long journey!
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”