Welcome to our online peer support community!
This is a place for anyone affected by problems relating to gambling - those with lived experience, friends and family. It's a great place to make friends and connect with peers, keep track of your recovery efforts, be inspired and motivated by others, be liberated, share your strategies and help others.

Drop in and join the discussion today!

Over feeling this way

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
Melissa1990

Over feeling this way

Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:40 pm

Im so glad I found this site I feel like after today it has been the only good thing that's come out of this all. Today I went and gambled more money as I lost money the previous night here I am thinking surely j can win it back surely. Instead I lost it all and am in a even worse place. I am so over playing pokies and loosing all my money Im over feeling like crap about it all and it really depresses me. I want to quit or even cut down and have a limit although I feel real weak and needing some help. :(
3 x
Mona58

Re: Over feeling this way

Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:38 pm

Welcome to the forums Melissa.

Read posts .. You are not alone.

Quitting is the best option, It takes time and determination!

You can do it!

Mona.
1 x
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Melissa1990

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:24 am

Thank you :)
1 x
Tilney

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:52 pm

I was in the exactly same point 14 days ago today! I reached out to the forum, I got support and told my story, and made a real decision to stop playing the pokies. It has been the best two weeks of my life. I had lost ALOT of money and was in ALOT of debt. Everything is still tough, but it’s so much better to deal with now I’m not gambling. I’m getting my life back on track. You can do it!
3 x
Melissa1990

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:13 am

:); Thank you i appreciate your response.
If you don't mind me asking what were your first steps into quitting in the first 14 days?
2 x
pamela

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:51 am

All of us here have gone through what you are experiencing.Make an appointment to see a counsellor..come here often..do you have someone you can confide in that will help you?
Limit your access to money..We all know that we cant win playing the pokies and the wins we have always end up back in the machines .
You need to try and retrain your brain to think differently of poker machines.. watch the video Ka-ching..next time you get the urge to play..stop and think about what you are doing and how you felt the last time you played..
Be strong and try to resist those urges..you can do this
4 x
Melissa1990

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:03 am

Thank you for your advice :);
0 x
Tilney

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:15 am

Hi Melissa. The first 14 days for me were literally taken one hour at a time. The first two or three days were hard and I was very close to going back, but I swore to myself that I was done. I acknowledged that I had a problem that needed addressing, that was the first step. I kept thinking about how frustrated and upset I was every time I left the venues and promised myself I didn’t want to feel that way again. Every day that passes I’m more and more confident in the fact that I made the right decision. I have been on this forum about three times a day, reading people’s stories. You should also watch ‘ka Ching- a pokies nation’ it changed my perspective completely.
One step at a time you can beat gambling!
1 x

Return to “The Courtyard”