We've had a makeover! Read all about it here.

Welcome to our community of support for anyone affected by problems relating to gambling - those with lived experience, friends and family.
The forums are a great place to make friends and connect with peers, keep track of your recovery efforts, be inspired and motivated by others, be liberated, share your strategies and help others.

First week done.

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
kaizen

Re: First week done.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Day 23 and all is well.
I have a bit of money available at the moment and the old thoughts of popping down to the pub for a go on the pokies sneaks into my head occasionally but up to now they have just been fleeting thoughts. I know my tests will come when I feel like we are getting on top of our finances and I have been clean for a good while because my mind will tell me that it is not that big a deal. However, I am pretty determined to stick this out at least until the end of next year.
Absolutely smashing the free poker machine apps on my phone though. I don't see this as a problem though because I can't even win on those things and I seem to be starting to bore of them now.
Stay strong all.
0 x
kaizen

Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:59 am

Thanks for that Cazza! Appreciate the support.
So it is day 17 for me today. All going well so far. I am going out for a few drinks at the work Christmas party tonight. Usually when I have a few drinks my willpower diminishes, as it does for most of us. However, tonight I will only bring the few dollars with me that I need and leave my ATM card at home so drunk me won't be tempted to sneak off to the pokies room.
1 x
Cazza

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:58 pm

Well done on your 15 days
It is a struggle at the start. I used to worry when i felt good too. Like a false sense of security, but when you stay GF you do actually start feeling emotions again i found.
As to the aps on your phone, i think a few people seem to use them. If it's not a trigger for you and seems to help why not
0 x
kaizen

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:13 pm

Day 15 and still gamble free. However, I am concerned that it is when I start to feel on top of it all that I may weaken - but with the help of this forum I hope to stay strong.
I must say that I am just about addicted to the free pokie machine games you can get for your phone. I know some people say that these games should be avoided too, but at the moment I feel they are doing more good than harm. I will worry about quitting them at another stage.
0 x
kaizen

Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:24 am

Thanks IC, definitely some good counsel there!

So I am on day 13 and so far all is going well with the gambling. I have certainly had a few urges and I know these will get stronger when I have more money to spend. I really do seem to have to be at rock bottom for the urge to gamble to ease off a bit.
However, the motivation I am getting from this forum and from everyone's stories and support are significant, so hopefully that will get me through.
0 x
dragon007 (facilitator)

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:25 am

Hi IC

That was great post, thank you sharing your thoughts, experience and encouragement.

Regards
dragon007
0 x
IC

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:07 am

Well done Kaizen

We all loved gambling, the urge and the excitement until we ran out of control

We all come here for the last gamble. This time, this bet is the sure win bet. We will win back our pride, self respect, health, dignity, time and good lifestyle

We can tell people:and family kids loudly that we don't gamble at all. How good is it?

Keep it up mate. Stop gambling first and stop the continuous damage, then we can calmly think about the solution and get out of the shits
0 x
kaizen

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:00 am

Thanks Calvin and Jamus - I really need and appreciate the support.
Day 10 and all is well. Feeling stronger. Long may it continue because I am being reminded daily of the consequences of gambling as we try to make ends meet with no money around.
1 x
Jamus

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:32 am

Good luck kaizen. The first few weeks of breaking the gambling routine were the hardest for myself. I use a day counter app to track my progress and I look at it when I get the urge. Or come on here and read other people's stories to remember that big win is never conning.

I wish you the best of luck with staying away from them.

Jamus
0 x
Calvin (facilitator)

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:05 pm

Good on you Kaizen!

You can look into 'Gamblock' as a way of self-excluding form online accounts/websites.
You can have a look on the link here for more info.

https://www.gamblock.com/

Keep up the great work.

Kind regards,

Calvin
0 x

Return to “The Courtyard”