The New Me

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: The New Me

Postby IC » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:44 am

Thanks Hopeful

I keep my 'image' very well while not many people knew my problems, only close fds who bailed me out and my family know, and I hurt them the most. Gambling is a hidden problem especially we have all the bookies apps on the mobile

Once an addiction, always an addict. Don't have a thought that I can manage my gambling after recovery. I can never bet $5 as recreational punt like most mates can. Same as alcohol, I don't have drinking problem but some do. I can drink very occasionally.

Don't think like 'I can't gamble now because....'. the more u push the more will bounce back. Think about other things that are important to u, tell yourself it's your decision not to gamble

How proud we can be if we can hold our heads up and tell mates that we are not into gambling. We can do it but we must change the perception of gambling first even though we win, we are simply taking good money from other families which suffer from it. We are hurting other ppl indirectly, like how we were hurt before

What comes around goes around, maybe it's karma
IC

Postby Hopeful_1 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:21 pm

you're right IC. I can relate to everything you said about the suicidal thoughts, but the thought of leaving a grieving family behind is too much. Hope you're going well with your recovery.

Well done knighty on your gamble free week!

Keep focused and you will get through this.

Good luck with your appointment on Monday. Wishing you strength to overcome this.
Hopeful_1

Postby knighty8 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:27 pm

7 days done without a punt and I feel good and confident about it all. Whilst it hasn’t been easy at home, I’m confident I will be able to mend these bridges. Seeing a financial counsellor Monday so hopefully come up with a plan to reduce my debt. Thanks for your messages
knighty8

Postby IC » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:33 am

We are in the same boat...Putting family and kids in the first priority will help quitting the habit

I also hate myself and multiple suicidal thoughts rushed in some time, gambling is like an inner demon. The only reason I still breathe is that I can't leave my family behind

Therefore, we need to try, we need to win this battle at all cost

We can do it. Admit we are losers in this game and give it up completely
IC

Postby pamela » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:43 pm

Good luck..stay strong and you can do this
pamela

Postby Hopeful_1 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:28 am

good luck knighty

wishing you the strength and focus to get through this all
Hopeful_1

Postby knighty8 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:49 pm

Thanks Flipper. I’ve already set myself some goals and shared them with my wife and I know they are a while away but I have never been so determined to achieve these. Plus changing little things like not buying lunch at work etc, grocery shopping once a week and being able to track where every dollar is spent. I look forward to continually updating my progress
knighty8

Postby flipper (facilitator) » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi Knighty8,

I'm Flipper one of the moderators for gambling help online, welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your story! It sounds like you have made some really big changes in your life recently from telling your wife to making an appointment with a counsellor- you should be really proud of yourself.

Like any habit, breaking away from gambling can take time and some days will be harder than others, but I always like to share this quote: "The urge to gamble is like feeding a stray cat, if you feed the cat it will keep coming back. If you stop feeding the cat, eventually it will stop coming back"

So take it a day at a time and together with your wife, counsellor and of course yourself start developing strategies that might help you, including asking yourself things like what you'd like to do with your time and money instead, or what you used to do before you started gambling that you might want to reconnect with.

Well done, and I hope you find the forums useful on your journey!

-Flipper
flipper (facilitator)

The New Me

Postby knighty8 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:43 pm

Good Afternoon, I've just come on here to share my story. I've been a gambler for many many years now on the horses, trots and greyhounds but I've had enough of never having any money. Whilst I have still been able to pay the mortgage, child care fees and contribute to our bills account, I would have minimal left over and gamble it with the thought of winning so can ease the financial stresses. I finally grew some balls and told my wife the scenario I was in, and over the years have merged personal loan, credit cards etc into one personal loan without her knowledge. Obviously she was very upset and pissed off, but has given me the opportunity to redeem myself which I am grateful for. So I'm currently only 3 days gamble free but its a start. I am doing a counselling session Monday with a follow up financial counselling the following Monday. I can not wait. I want to get my debt in order ASAP and start contributing more to our family which I love dearly and they are my world.
knighty8

Return to The Courtyard