Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Addicted Australia - Episode 4

Join us as we talk all things addiction and recovery prompted by Addicted Australia and the Rethink Addiction campaign.
    Hello3 [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Addicted Australia - Episode 4

Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:42 pm

Hello everyone :);

Tonight at 8:30pm on SBS the fourth and final episode of Addicted Australia will be airing. The documentary has opened the door to allow us to see what wrap around treatment and support looks like for 10 participants recovering from addiction. Here we'll get to see the progress that they have made over six months.

For some people you may have similar experiences to the participants on the documentary and although this can be relatable and helpful, some may find this triggering. If you find yourself feeling triggered by any content on the documentary, take a short break to ground yourself and we can also help support you on on the forums .

After you have viewed the episode we invite you to come back onto the forum as we will have @Iamlucas000, whom is a participant on the documentary to answer some of your questions around gambling addiction. @Iamlucas000 has kindly volunteered to be a part of the discussion with you all :D

Take note of any themes you feel are important to focus on and any questions you may have throughout.

Also if you have missed last weeks episode you can view it on the SBS website or app.
    0 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: Addicted Australia - Episode 4

Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:56 pm

'Addicted Australia' fourth and final episode!!!

Hi there everyone :)
    We are up to the last episode of the Addicted Australia Docu-series.

Catch it on SBS tonight at 8:30pm and please revisit the forums afterwards to have a chance to discuss your thoughts and feelings around it. Also we will be having @Iamlucas000 a participant on the documentary once again answer any questions you have!
    Please give Lucas a warm welcome! :)

If you miss the episode tonight you can view it on the SBS app or website :)
    0 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:38 pm

What did everyone think of the final episode of Addicted Australia?

As you probably noticed it was a pretty emotional episode where we got to see the progress, setbacks, accomplishments made by all the participants!
    We now have @Iamlucas000 from the program to answer any of your questions! :D
    1 x
    Clouds21

Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:41 pm

What an amazing episode and series!
    1 x
    Clouds21

Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:42 pm

Thanks @Iamlucas000 . Thanks for sharing your life and struggle.
    2 x
    Clouds21

Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:50 pm

@Iamlucas000 Sounds like the medication didn't work for you and you focused on your own plans to cut down?
    1 x
    Iamlucas000

Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:55 pm

@Clouds21 No it didn't, I had some very severe adverse reactions and it is not a usual or current highly prescribed thing for gambling, but I had to buy in 100% to the treatment and the program otherwise, I knew i would find new excuses for the program to fail, so I had to fully engaged. What helped was trying, it was setting up that barrier, that day I took it was the biggest realization throughout the treatment for me, that I was actually doing it my self, I was listening, I was trying to find new ways, I was talking if i felt my self go into autopilot, it actually made me realize how far along I had come in a short time, once I got that pay day down, with that rage of feeling like my achievement was stolen from me, I just used it to build on each day.I found confidence, from that point on i got back to what I was like pre gambling, throwing my weight around and making my voice heard and especially in treatment and recovery.
    3 x
    Clouds21

Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:59 pm

That's great! You said everyone has to find their own moment when it was time... it's sounds like that was the time for you (I almost said turning point :)
    2 x
    coco2019

Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:23 pm

So proud of you! I think one of the things that I struggle with is the shame of talking about having an addiction. You have given me hope that it is possible and I wish you all the best for the future.
    4 x
    Iamlucas000

Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:26 pm

@coco2019 Thanks, I think that is one of the hardest step is realizing that the only person who feels the shame is you, not the others, that you are harsher on your self than what anyone could be. But once you just talk it out and have honest conversations and true conversations, the guilt you carry lessens. So keep in there, there will be a time when you are ready. I have had some pretty great conversations with people already whom I have never met and seeing how much confidence it has given people to talk about it is huge. There is always someone who wants to listen but it is about finding that connection with the listener and feeling like you have actually talked. No doubt you can do it.
    4 x

Return to “Addicted Australia”