Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Addicted Australia - Episode 1

Join us as we talk all things addiction and recovery prompted by Addicted Australia and the Rethink Addiction campaign.
    Hello3 [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Addicted Australia - Episode 1

Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:23 pm

Welcome everyone. Airing tonight at 8:30pm Addicted Australia, is a four part series aiming to bring the conversation about addiction into the public consciousness. The series, a joint project between Turning Point and SBS, will follow 10 Australians and their families as they live with addiction and engage in recovery. Addiction is one of Australia’s most misunderstood health conditions. We want to change the conversation about addiction and tackle the stigma and misinformation that stops people getting the help they need. If you can take the time to watch the series drop by the Forum later, we know watching the episodes will have an emotional impact as the issues and topics discussed are real for many of us. Join the conversation as we debrief and gather ourselves, we know the story of addiction is powerful and we want to strengthen the story of recovery.
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: Addicted Australia - Episode 1

Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:54 pm

Hello to all of the members on the forum! :)

Tonight at 8:30pm the first episode of the 'Addicted Australia' Documentary will be premiering on SBS with a running time of 60 mins.
    This is a chance to view other people's journey through alcohol, drug or gambling addiction.

For some people you may have similar experiences to the participants on the documentary and although this can be relatable and helpful, some may find this triggering. If you find yourself feeling triggered by any content on the documentary, take a short break to ground yourself and we can help support you on on the forums .

After you have watched the first episode be sure to come back onto the forums as we will have @Iamlucas000 whom is a participant on the documentary answer some of your questions around gambling addiction. :D @Iamlucas000 has kindly volunteered to be a part of the discussion with you all :D

Take note of any themes you feel are important to focus on and any questions you may have throughout.
    2 x
    Clouds21

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:08 pm

@Iamlucas000 Must have been very tough doing the documentary. Well done!
    2 x
    Iamlucas000

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:11 pm

@Clouds21 Thanks! was much easier than you would think. I just needed to try something I figured as an extreme last resort, I didn't even notice the cameras or do I really care about putting it all out there. The risk for reward was huge, it has been an empowering last 12 months.
    2 x
    Clouds21

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:14 pm

@Iamlucas000 was it hard being in the peer group and being the only one addressing a gambling problem?
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:25 pm

Hello everyone!

What were your thoughts on the first episode of 'Addicted Australia'?

Some common themes that I had noticed whilst watching was that there's a common element of shame when it comes to discussing addiction issues with the people closest to us. Not being sure of how they would react, if you would get judged, fear of rejection and basically not feeling understood of the struggle you experience through addiction.
    Another theme would be the importance of peer support and networking. It was great to see everyone being so open and honest in a group setting where they may not personally know eachother but instead share that bond of understanding eachother's struggle.

@Iamlucas000 We are very grateful to have you with us all! :)

What would you say or suggest to a person that is at the beginning stages of acknowledging their addiction to gambling? Were there strategies that helped you throughout that time that would be helpful to others?
    In your personal experience what were the major positives that have come out of stopping gambling for good? and what were the most challenging parts?

Anyone else have any thoughts or questions for iamluke000 ? :D
    1 x
    Iamlucas000

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:28 pm

@Clouds21 it was at the start, I felt a massive disconnect. But it was also the most rewarding watching everyone's opinion on what it means to be a gambler change. I identified with everyone's story in some sense and they identified with mine. It was great for it to be about solely the addiction and not the vice, it made me feel human. When I told everyone I was a gambler and I heard that collective OOOHHHHHH it felt like a snap inside of me, I remember going home that night and it felt like I was on the worlds longest come down.
    3 x
    Iamlucas000

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:36 pm

There is not much I could say to someone at the start apart from, if you keep telling your self you can't do this and you want to give up even trying to quit, that means you are doing the right thing and you just go harder. It won't happen instantly, it may take years, but you will find the right environment to thrive somewhere down the line

I can't really say I have quit for good, I like to think I am, but some times I slip up and it becomes fewer and further inbetween now, but when it does, it's a learning process. But so much good, I did not see my daughter for over 5 years, we are fully reconnected, stuff with my youngest son is the best it has been, I can leave the house now without fearing I will lose every cent on mine, I can actually live rather than just survive
    3 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:50 pm

You're right, it is a learning experience and it does taker some time and effort to fight through those times where it may feel most difficult.
    I'm glad to hear you have reconnected with your children and that you have decreased the gambling significantly!
    2 x
    pricey1981

Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:08 am

Oh i missed this, hopefully the episode is online so i can watch it tonight.
    2 x

Return to “Addicted Australia”