Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Addicted Australia: Episode 2

Join us as we talk all things addiction and recovery prompted by Addicted Australia and the Rethink Addiction campaign.
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: Addicted Australia: Episode 2

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:03 pm

Very inspirational work @Iamlucas000, Its really admirable to see how open and honest you are about the lapses and struggles you've faced with gambling and how you have pushed through them, whilst also being mindful on how you treat yourself during those times.
    1 x
    Iamlucas000

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:08 pm

Hi @divinyls , thanks! The most difficult part was staying engaged in treatment and to stop making excuses, the auto reaction was to make an excuse for my behaviour rather than own it, it was hard to even realize I was even doing it, but as simple as it sounds, talking is how I overcame it, someone would say what I just said to them back to me and it would make me stop and think like did I really just say that, the amount of times I was lying to myself and I did not realize it was crazy
    5 x
    Clouds21

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:11 pm

How did it feel seeing yourself on TV?
    2 x
    divinyls

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:15 pm

Self reflection can be really helpful and insightful in that way. Focusing on the long term goals over short term gratification is a massive hill to climb, but we do it not because it is easy but because it is hard. Well done on your recovery :);
    4 x
    Iamlucas000

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:18 pm

@Clouds21 it was weird last week or when I would see my self in a add or in a paper or a tv week or something like that, but now it is just normal and I don't really think too much but I know with next episode, when I saw it, It made me realise how bad of a mental condition I was in even tho I felt I was really good then, just my little movements and the agitation I could tell in my body movements, it is strange noticing that stuff because you really dont take any notice at the time obviously
    2 x
    Clouds21

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:19 pm

I'd imagine telling your story in front of a camera would make anybody anxious and twitchy... I would have crumbled I reckon. You did so well.
    3 x

Return to “Addicted Australia”