Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Struggling

A place for our whole Gambling Help Online community to connect. Includes special forum events, monthly rundowns and a place to chat with forum friends.
    frank3333

Struggling

Mon May 25, 2020 10:29 pm

I have recently started to quit after problems on and off for the last 3 years, the catalyst of this being my girlfriend finding out how much I have been gambling throughout this time. Its only been a couple of weeks and I haven't made any significant progress, I haven't gambled in that time however I haven't made any profound or lifelong changes either. I know it's a slow process and it takes time and I do feel that I'm making some positive steps, for the first time I have registered for counselling services. I'm struggling with my personal situation outside of gambling because my partner is very against it and has told me many times in the past and because of this we have split, although still work and live together. It doesn't feel real to me and I know that she is wanting to see changes in me if she is ever going to give me another chance but I haven't been able to show her all that much yet. I am worried she will lose patience before I have had a chance to really progress within myself and I am torn between continuing down the path that I am currently on and trying something different to show her that I can change. I know that I am probably not making her out to be the most understanding person but I have lied to her consistently and she has always been there for me and put up with a lot of **** from me and I am desperate for another opportunity to be with her and was hoping for some advice from someone who has been in a similar situation?

Thanks for reading and keep at it if you're trying to quit, it's going to be worth it
    1 x
    Mish_27

Re: Struggling

Tue May 26, 2020 5:32 pm

Hi @frank3333 and welcome to the forums! Im one of the moderators here.
    Well done on registering for some counselling services, a lot of this can be trial and error to figure out what works. Hopefully the forums will provide you with some support during this challenging time.
    0 x
    AGHS

Re: Struggling

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:52 am

Hi, could I suggest that your partner attends some counselling sessions with you? This way she will gain a better understanding of the addiction of gambling and how it has impacted on you and why you do gamble. Often there is a much larger story behind the gambling and it can take time to unpack the bag so to speak. It is understandable that she has lost her trust in you and she needs to see changes, these changes as you mentioned take time. She may need to join you on this journey of overcoming your gambling addiction so as you can take your next journey together. Hope it all works out for you.
    1 x

Return to “Community Space”