Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Is gambling even treated as an addiction?

A place for our whole Gambling Help Online community to connect. Includes special forum events, monthly rundowns and a place to chat with forum friends.
    TimTam

Re: Is gambling even treated as an addiction?

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:13 pm

Hi @LetsAllstop

Welcome to the forums! Good on you for reaching out for some support, its a big step.
    It sounds like you have been silently suffering for such a long time, that must be so exhausting.
    Have you started doing anything to help you quit this addiction?
    I hope you find the community helpful, there's lots of amazing people here who understand and are happy to help and support you
    I'm also going to send you a private message just to check in

Take care,

Tim Tam
    1 x
    LetsAllstop

Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:19 pm

Hi TimTam, I have recently just last week gone back to my counsellor at anglicare to seek support and self exclude again as now I have been in a new relationship for 10 months and I am losing that too because of my addiction, it really feels like I can't have a normal life sometimes.. I am a good, kind person, I have paid for homeless people to sleep in hotels before, I go out of my way to help anyone I can it's just this huge demon that I can't get rid of, a monster in the closet that can hide for awhile but always comes out again to grab me. I really hope I am strong enough to stay on track this time.. I think I am starting to realise that it's something I can never do in moderation and to kick the bad habit, I can never do it.. . Even for fun. I just wanted to share my story so others could realise the severity of this addiction and that it is one that needs to be taken seriously because I feel as though it isn't.
    1 x
    Chunkyquitter

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:42 pm

Yeah I have quit a few times. But always in the back of my mind i thought I needed to gamble but just be in control of it. Because I was always due a monster win or thought it was good entertainment when it wasn’t a problem.

This time I’ve finally realised that gambling can never be a part of my life. I have no Control over it once I start. Once you accept that conclusion avoiding ever starting again is so much easier.

Like someone said to me it’s not that hard. Just one bet you have to not have, the first one.

Never have the first bet and the problem is sorted, address and pay attention to how you feel when the urge to gamble is there. It usually to avoid confronting something.

Good luck to all in your non gambling future
    2 x

Return to “Community Space”