Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • 2020 resolutions - What are your goals this year?

A place for our whole Gambling Help Online community to connect. Includes special forum events, monthly rundowns and a place to chat with forum friends.
    BBGamble

Re: 2020 resolutions - What are your goals this year?

Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:04 pm

Hi guys,

This is my first time posting but am hoping by staying connected to people who understand what I am going through will help me to fix my problem I have with gambling. I honestly feel I have done everything I can do in order to break the cycle BUT I still find a way to go and spend all of my money on gambling and I have no idea why I can’t stop when I so badly want to.

I see my councillor regularly, I am open and honest with my family about my problem and I have even self excluded from all the venues I usually go to and I still find myself sad and broke at the end of the day.

This year I really want to try and break the cycle, I am so young and have so many more important goals and life things going on that I can’t afford to gamble as is making me so sad and at the end of the day I really don’t like myself.

If anyone has any advice on what has helped them break the chain on gambling go addiction please let me know, all help welcome and really appreciated.

This is day 0 for me and I hope to never go again!!!
    2 x
    Selfish

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:37 am

Hi I've been gambling for maybe ten years now. I've pretty much spent every cent on pokie machines. I didn't really care when I was single and using my own money but for the last two years I also send my beautiful partner broke and I just don't want to hurt her anymore I'm sick of seeing her so sad and disappointed. Sometimes I wish and think the only way would be for her to leave me as I'm an addict but I rather never ever touch those ***** things again then imagine her gone.
    1 x
    Mona58

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:41 am

Hi BBgamble and Selfish

l would recommend watching the old ABC program Kaching pokie nation. This program shows how the machines are made and programmed to be addictive and hijack our minds, It then takes time to get back to normal life. Read the many posts on this forum and you will find many things to help your recovery and rid your mind of the urge to gamble.

Most important is to be kind to yourselves and take it ONE day at a time. Talk with your partners and allow them to take these steps with you. It can be an emotional rollercoaster. By sharing your emotions your partnerships will become much stronger. Relationship counselling may also be beneficial. The GHO (1800858858) will be able to guide you to the right source .

Wishing you all the best on your journey. The gamble free life is well worth to fIght for.

Mona
    1 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Raandit

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:13 am

BrittV (facilitator) wrote:
    Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:36 am
    Welcome to the community @Raandit and thanks for your post. If all went well today is your day 2, and the start of a new week for you :)

Sounds like you have some fantastic motivators to move forward into a gamble free life.
    I am sorry to hear about your job, but wish you luck in finding another. fresh start all round!

There are lots of really great people and conversations going on around the forums with people who relate to how you're feeling, read through and ask any questions - everyone's really helpful.

Good luck with your first goal - two weeks gamble free, and then never gambling again. We believe in you!

Take care
    Thanks Brittv, it is almost a month now without gambling except for buying a powerball ticket for $7.
    I have since found a job two days after losing my other jobs.
    I have even twice wondered into a poker room to see how I feel while carrying $350 on each occasion, which is my weekly rent.
    My next move is to work on my mental health as I feel like battling severe anxieties. Been socially isolated for so long.
    1 x
    Raandit

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:50 am

BBGamble wrote:
    Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:04 pm
    Hi guys,

This is my first time posting but am hoping by staying connected to people who understand what I am going through will help me to fix my problem I have with gambling. I honestly feel I have done everything I can do in order to break the cycle BUT I still find a way to go and spend all of my money on gambling and I have no idea why I can’t stop when I so badly want to.

I see my councillor regularly, I am open and honest with my family about my problem and I have even self excluded from all the venues I usually go to and I still find myself sad and broke at the end of the day.

This year I really want to try and break the cycle, I am so young and have so many more important goals and life things going on that I can’t afford to gamble as is making me so sad and at the end of the day I really don’t like myself.

If anyone has any advice on what has helped them break the chain on gambling go addiction please let me know, all help welcome and really appreciated.

This is day 0 for me and I hope to never go again!!!
    BBGamble, thanks for sharing your story and like yourself I am pretty new here and this is my third contributions here.
    I gambled for 4 yrs and I am a bad gambler. I worked two jobs in that period and was pretty much feeding, first roulettes then poker machines.
    I tried many time to stop but still find myself relapsing. Self_exclusion was not working because I always found new places. I even tried to gave my banks card a away but still got around ty that using cashless option. Nothing could work.
    I never sought professional help, although I called a counselling service one time but didn't follow up appointment.
    I am now almost 1 month without gambling.
    My strategies were writing down my feelings every time I am heading to poker machines venues. I also make sure I wrote my feelings afterwards and making videos of myself. I put all those writing on my walls.
    Then I started writing my dreams and what I should be saving for.
    One example is, I support my mother overseas and she is now very advanced in age.
    Although, I have been making $2300 weekly, I was not only getting into financial trouble but my mental health was very much like really bad.
    As I kept on writing what I should be saving for, one really hit me. It was a thought of one day getting call that my mother is dead. Normally, I must burying her and pay for all the funeral expenses and attending the burial. The problem is if I keep gambling I would get that dreadful call when my bank is negative. That was a turning point for me.
    Hope my story help in little way it may.
    All the best.
    2 x
    ICU

Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:48 pm

" Hello Everyone.

I started gambling at the age of 15 and then gambled for the next 34 years, the last 23 years being prodomenantly on pokies. I stopped gombling 5 years ago after losing family & frinds, my mental health, access to my kids, all my posessions, my home and almost my life.
    I lived in my car for almost three years. In 2014 an incident made me face reality and that I had many reasons to get myself back on track. Since giving up gambling I have become a public speaker on gambling harm, I run a peer support program for others affected by gambling. I have reconnected with my family and some friends. My children have regular contact with me and my daughter even moved in with me three years ago. I have paid of my six figure gambling debt and I am buying a house, at the moment I think I actually own six pickets of the front fence. Part of my recovery was to open up to people who mattered in my life, I spoke with my mother, brother and sister, they were exteremely supportive and still are. I spoke with my boss who after 30 years + was close to lossing my job, (I couldn't afford petrol to get to work). She too was very supportive and understanding and could finally understand why i had deteriorated. I have since spoken to my daughter who is the oldest of my three kids. She too is very supportive and understanding. When doing public speaking I have had old acquintances in the audience nd the have approached me later and said that they had no idea and wondered why I had disappeared. My bills are paid on the due date, I am able to drink and eat everyday, I can take my boys to McDonalds for a meal. Life has changed so much. When I stopped gambling I had to occupy my abundance of spare time, so I recalled back to my childhood and the things that I really loved to do. I loved my dog violetta and taking her for a walk, so I adopted a dog from the lost dogs home, we walk an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. I loved bike riding so I purchased a bike and now ride to the shops to pick up my groceries. I loved fishing, so I now go out many weekends and fish in different places (Pier, Rock, Surf). I enjoyed the beach, so I purchased a snokelling set and for the first time snorkelled, I love it. Recovery takes time but the mourning for gambling does subside, we never forget it but cope to live without it. The pear support group I run is open to everyone so if you are interested let me know.

Regards

IC"
    3 x
    zackawadz

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:40 pm

KLee wrote:
    Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:38 pm
    Hi, this is my first time posting and I would love my goal to be from this day forward to never play a poker machine again!

I have gambled thousands of dollars away in the past 2 years and am always chasing that big win that never comes, over the past year the amount I bet has increased significantly.

I am an intelligent woman with a good job and it always amazes me how unintelligent my gambling is, I would like to research more why I’m gambling and why I can’t stop, I have tried to stay away and have got to 40-50 days before but I always end up back in the club thinking I’ll just gamble a little and spend so much more and it always turns out to be triple or quadruple the amount and I hate myself for it!

I hope that this time I can be stronger with the help on this forum and also some other strategies to keep me on track day by day!
    hi I found gamblers anonymous worked for me try going to a meeting.
    2 x

Return to “Community Space”