Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us for our 2020 resolutions thread, and Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • 2020 resolutions - What are your goals this year?

A place for our whole Gambling Help Online community to connect. Includes special forum events, monthly rundowns and a place to chat with forum friends.
    BrittV (facilitator)

2020 resolutions - What are your goals this year?

Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:57 am

Happy 2020 everyone!
    A new year, in fact a new decade, is a great moment to set some goals, resolutions, intentions and/or targets for yourself.
    No matter where you are now, what is your goal to move forward?

Our blog on goals helps break things down and help make realistic, achieveable and manageable goals for yourself.
    And the stories in this blog on resolving to change will surely motivate you - there are some great examples some may relate to of things which made people realise it really was time to change.

I always find writing things down helps me really consider them and be definitive in my resolve.. So what do you want to do this year for yourself, to move forward and be the best person you can be?
    0 x
    Check out our 2020 goals and Chatty Tuesday threads.
    BrittV (facilitator)

Re: 2020 resolutions - What are your goals this year?

Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:05 pm

Tagging in our latest new members as this might be particularly helpful to you - @SL92 @Peace101 @Kuta001 @ChangingCharliE @Bambi83 @DoingItRight @scuba @gypsygemin9 @BrisbaneLad @Matt1221 @Oliver W @Whitney @MEZ @Lucy101 @HarryVic @Carl @isarah @WashedUp @trappnz @Mmmm2019 @zackawadz @minnie89

Many of you are starting this year off dealing with the same things, chatting to one another can really help you feel supported on the journey, starting with supporting eachother in your goals.

If you're further along your journey, maybe you have some tips for others on how to stick to goals?
    0 x
    Raandit

Re: Reaching a rock bottom, over 4 yrs of gambling!

Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:58 pm

I don't even properly remember, how I started this journey over 4 yrs ago. However, I do remember pretty well how many times I have hit a rock bottom.
    I lost so much even working two jobs to feed my gambling addiction, but in doing so survive on noodles and cheap food. So many times I would lost over $2000 in 3 hrs and go for a week on $5 dollar noodle.
    Now, in the last week a lone, I lost my jobs and still gamble the little I had.
    My debt is through the roof and my rent is two weeks behind.
    Few hours ago, I gambled $450 and I am now left with nothing but $20.
    Thanks, to gambling I even sold my car and computer last year. I have no possession to sell now and don't even know what I can do.
    I will challenge myself to never gamble again from today.
    How I will survive is another story because I had no one since gambling had isolated me long time ago.
    I hope to get a job soon.
    If I survive for another two weeks, I swear to never use pokies and roulette in my life.
    Day 1 tomorrow
    3 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:36 am

Welcome to the community @Raandit and thanks for your post. If all went well today is your day 2, and the start of a new week for you :)

Sounds like you have some fantastic motivators to move forward into a gamble free life.
    I am sorry to hear about your job, but wish you luck in finding another. fresh start all round!

There are lots of really great people and conversations going on around the forums with people who relate to how you're feeling, read through and ask any questions - everyone's really helpful.

Good luck with your first goal - two weeks gamble free, and then never gambling again. We believe in you!

Take care
    1 x
    Tman

Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:14 pm

Hi all
    Fist time poster . I have been gambling for years .and it all came to a sudden stop in december 2019.
    i had a nice little heathy bank account witch i have not had for a VERY long time.i had drained it dry and hidden it from my partner
    I was stopping on way home and in my lunch breaks trying to win that big jackpot.
    Yep you got it i lost it all..and my partner looked at my bank account and asked the question, if i had been gambling. The first time in my life i have said yes and addmitted to a gambling problem.since that day i have not gone near a poker machine .and never planning on playing them again
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:54 am

Hi @Tman

Welcome to the forums!

Its great to hear that you have stopped gambling since December, that's a massive achievement!
    How have you managed this past month? What strategies have you used that maybe other members may find useful?
    2 x

Return to “Community Space”