Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Holiday season - celebration & support

A place for our whole Gambling Help Online community to connect. Includes special forum events, monthly rundowns and a place to chat with forum friends.
    BrittV (facilitator)

Holiday season - celebration & support

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:08 pm

Hey lovely Forum Members!
    This time of year can be full of great things to be grateful for, full of wonderful moments with wonderful people. But it can also be a tough time for many, for a number of reasons. We thought we’d acknowledge this with a warming chat about this season, and perhaps talk about things which can help make it a good one.

Feel free to share with us perhaps how you’re feeling about this time of year, some words to help others, some tips which can help, or general festive chit chat.
    How are you feeling at the moment?

Santas & grinches alike are welcome.
    1 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Community Manager. Wishing everyone all the best!
    Mona58

Re: Holiday season - celebration & support

Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:14 am

This is my 3rd gamble free Christmas.

This year I'm finding it a bit tough and sadness seems to be time consuming. I find myself constantly reassuring myself that it will pass and to keep "plodding along. When I'm in this mood all I want to do is "nothing"!

Not the most motivating of post which is why l've been relectant to post!

Only a week to Christmas , and this year I'm just so unorganised. BUT then before the last two years I'd always left it to the last minute because I think that way I don't have time to think too much about it and there's no time to change my mind! Come to think of it I did spend too much last year. Well, the one positive is I don't really have to penny pinch so much as I did during those gambling days-.-and this l am thankful for!

Mona
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    BrittV (facilitator)

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:18 am

Hi Mona, I'm sorry to hear things are feeling tough these days.

I find you always have a beautiful way of seeing things - like your post yesterday about relaxing in the nothingness. But naturally life gives us waves.
    Glad to hear you won't need to worry so much about the money. I know you love to cook - do you have somethings particular planned?

Take care and thanks for your post - never be hesitant about not being motivating haha, it's about being yourself, whoever you are today! Never know who might need to hear what you're feeling so they don't feel alone.

Hope things start feeling a bit brighter for you soon :o :o
    0 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:57 am

Just tagging in a few of our newer members. You may like to connect here and share support through the period.
    Any concerns or tips to share?

@minnie89 @zackawadz @Mmmm2019 @trappnz @WashedUp @isarah @Carl
    0 x
    Mona58

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:35 pm

Thanks Britt'

I don't really have anything planned. There's a change to this year... a transition.. or a wave in a sense. Being gamble free I think this "tough stuff" doesn't hang around that heavily as it may have during gambling days.

I don't love cooking per se as much as I want to eat well and be healthy both mentally & physically. Cutting down on sugar is tougher than I'd thought. Some days I find myself craving a choc bar or other that is unusual. Its interesting the physical and mental reactions and changes we experience when we make changes in our life.

I took away the sugar bowl next to my coffee and it took a good few weeks to break the habit of reaching for the sugar and getting the taste of real coffee. And I don't have as much coffee now as I used to.

Change is all about small steps... small dreams... and we'll get there!

Mona
    1 x
    MEZ

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:54 am

Dropped in yesterday.
    Fortunately not much money but temptation always there.
    Looking for other activities to overcome loneliness and help me get our of debt.
    1 x
    Ducky89

Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:00 am

Hi @MEZ sounds like it's been tough managing that temptation. Good on you for looking at alternative activities to fill that space. Have you found anything that's worked so far?

Anyone else had success with finding other activities to manage without gambling?
    0 x
    Mona58

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:58 pm

Welcome Mez,

Most places would be closed for the Christmas break. You could look up community houses or community activities in your local area. there s' walking groups, art groups' bowls, knitting the list is never ending really ... Summer activities often begin in January some are week long or weekly.

There's also voluntary work you could look into that would lead to meeting new people. If you IIke gardening there are community gardens around. There's always some place or other that really appreciate volunteers!

In the meantime perhaps you could sort out your wardrobe or cupboards?

Read posts / blogs on this site there's a variety of suggestions scattered throughout.

Most of all look to the future and try NOT to dwell on the past,

All the best on your journey.

Mona
    3 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:00 pm

Just want to drop in and wish everyone a happy holidays, hope you’re all doing well and taking care of yourselves today,

All the best
    0 x

Return to “Community Space”