Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Chatty Tuesday - Join us Tuesdays!

A place for our whole Gambling Help Online community to connect. Includes special forum events, monthly rundowns and a place to chat with forum friends.
    BrittV (facilitator)

Re: Chatty Tuesday - Join us Tuesdays!

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:25 pm

@How the F did I get here thanks for sharing. I wonder if there’s something you could plan for yourself to do tomorrow when your concerned you’ll gamble? Even something like a meal you’d like to cook or a movie you want to watch? Have a little ‘date’ with yourself at home?

And feeling like you don’t have anything to do is certainly tough, but you could see it as an opportunity?! A chance to make a new you - learn something new perhaps? Did you see my recent post about the free courses available online?

@Mongoose is your question about whether people individually can or in general? In general I think everyone’s triggers are different but there are varying experiences. Keen to hear what others think?
    1 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Community Manager. Wishing everyone all the best!
    How the F did I get here

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:29 pm

@Mongoose

Hey Mongoose!!!

Ooh that's a tough one, with a real grey area.
    I've heard of people that do it and manage to stay away.

In one sense you would think it gives you the kick/fix you're after, but will it satisfy the urge or will it just ignite the best?
    0 x
    How the F did I get here

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:31 pm

@BrittV (facilitator)
    That's the problem nothing interests me.
    I want to start exercising and getting fit again but tbh I can't be effed. I've lost all my drive.
    1 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:44 pm

I know it’s probably a question you’ve been asked many times @How the F did I get here so I’m sorry if I’m repeating. But achieving the 5 years GF is absolute amazing and I’m wondering if there were things which motivated you then?
    From memory you were also recently going amazing when saving for a holiday with your daughter?

Someone else on here was recently talking about starting exercise.. maybe we could start a cyber walking club to motivate each other !? Haha

Have you tried the app couch to 5km? You might find watching yourself improve to be motivating?
    2 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Community Manager. Wishing everyone all the best!
    Mona58

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:51 pm

l've and am having a crappy moment. l'll have another tomorrow I reckon. By Saturday I'm ok! Sunday I'm fine provided it's a lovely warm day and I can potter around the garden.

l have found that eating well really helps the moods and cooking does help me calm down. My vegetable growing skills needs alot more education or natural experience. Why are my beetroot leaves so tall and the beetroot is no bigger than a golf ball?! I'm having "neighbourhood cat problems... I've come to be known to shovel cat poop over the fence!

I actually enjoy cutting carrots into lovely thin even julienne stripes. I mention this because last week I thought to myself... how I barely bothered when I was gambling. The very thought had me alert as in am I vulnerable. So I thought nope. I really don't want to go back to gambling days!

It really is important to learn to shift our mindset when it needs nurturing. Any little task can shift the mood. ... slowly but surely. Being gamble free makes a really big difference in life and dealing with its occurrences however crappy or fantastic ... it all takes "learning to get used to.

I think I'm experiencing "ageism"! or grumpy old woman sydnrome that I'd often read about. I think its' a myth but maybe I'm in denial! ha ha ha

Got to at least try and end the day with a smile..
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Mona58

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:40 pm

I'm addicted to my games, I play one or two or even three (depends on a number of factors!). l did once or try pokies games but didn't like them. A puzzle game that I tried once had alot of pokies games advertised that I found annoying so I simply deleted that game. I tend to not put myself in harms way if I could help it.

I enjoy not having to wait till payday to buy something l need. Hang onto happy thoughts for as long as you can and try Not to dwell on crappy stuff for too long takes "mind work" and that s' why we need to be Kind to ourselves.

Does anyone have a surefire way of cat freeing my garden?
    0 x
    How the F did I get here

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:57 pm

BrittV (facilitator) wrote:
    Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:44 pm
    I know it’s probably a question you’ve been asked many times @How the F did I get here so I’m sorry if I’m repeating. But achieving the 5 years GF is absolute amazing and I’m wondering if there were things which motivated you then?
    From memory you were also recently going amazing when saving for a holiday with your daughter?

Someone else on here was recently talking about starting exercise.. maybe we could start a cyber walking club to motivate each other !? Haha

Have you tried the app couch to 5km? You might find watching yourself improve to be motivating?
    I became or shall I say was becoming a mum and then when baby arrived my life was complete and I was the happiest I'd been in my life. I curse the day that I jumped off the wagon but it just happened and happened hard!
    0 x
    How the F did I get here

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:04 pm

@Mona58
    Hi Mona,

You've been around quite some time here too! How long has it been now?

I can relate to what you said about the carrots and the care you take now with preparing them compared to when you gambled.

Seems you really enjoy your gardening and it has been something you have been able to use to keep your mind off gambling.
    I have absolutely no clue what is the best remedy btw to keep cats away.

Reckon it's probably better to be addicted to those games than pokies.

Happy thoughts and mind shift yes, but oh so hard when you've been in a rut for so long.
    1 x
    Mona58

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:32 pm

That rut of so long need to be let go. Forward thinking into new the gamble free life... but a day at a time.
    1 x
    Mongoose

Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:26 pm

Hi Mona better late than never my dad has been using coffee grounds to keep away snails so it might work for keeping away cats I’m sure they won’t like the smell , just go to your local coffee shop and ask them if you can have the grounds most of the time they are happy to get rid of them .
    Mongoose
    1 x

Return to “Community Space”