Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Q&A with a gambling counsellor: What's getting in your way of accessing professional support?

A place for our whole Gambling Help Online community to connect. Includes special forum events, monthly rundowns and a place to chat with forum friends.
    Chunkyquitter

Re: Q&A with a gambling counsellor: What's getting in your way of accessing professional support?

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:05 am

The delay of getting an appointment. When you decide you need and want help it’s hard to be told you have to wait weeks for an opening.

Usually getting there while your low and finishing on a loss is what is needed. Waiting 3-4 weeks for an appointment just means you’ll likely gamble at some point in the next 3 weeks and if you win that rush has happened the dream of winning back all of what you have lost is fresh again.

I’ve been seeing a psych via a mental health plan but he doesn’t understand gambling very well. He feels like I just want to be told I’m a good person and I did it for the right reasons. He even told me not to come clean with my wife over the debt I’m in.

Too me I need her support, she will likely leave me but I’m willing this time reliquinsh all my access to our cash. I needed his guidance in how to break it to her and have an appointment teed up where she was able to ask questions with me in front of the councillor.

I needed to know the reasons why I relapse, I don’t even understand what anxiety and depression is but the anti depressants I’m on have numbed my hurt and I don’t feel like killing my self so I figure I had it.
    0 x
    Ducky89

Re: Q&A with a gambling counsellor: What's getting in your way of accessing professional support?

Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:35 pm

@Chunkyquitter that can be so frustrating to be told to wait when you're ready to get help or to get help that doesn't end up being quite what you were hoping for. It's great that you're continuing to reach out - hopefully that persistence will get you the support you need.

What have others done that has helped in times when they are waiting to access professional supports?
    2 x
    Mona58

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:19 pm

I had spaced out my psychologist appoints to 6 or 8 weeks .-depending how things are going. If there is a "urgent" matter I either mentally talk to my psychologist or write her a letter ., which never gets sent, but by the time my appoint arrives I forgotten all about it. Writing does help unload abit. ... sometimes alot.

I've written scribbles and screams ... and some real nasty things. I've at times dug a hole in the backyard and burnt these writings and watched the problem float away...

A lovely "facilitator" (sorry I forgot who it was) on here once told me we don't realise it but we are our own best teachers.

I've often "used" counsellors as sounding boards ... even when I don't necessarily listen to their advice... everyone has their own opinions. My motto is take what you need and leave the rest.

Mona
    1 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Billylost

Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:08 pm

Hey @Markee

I hear you completely and can recognise a lot of what you’ve said by looking at my own life.

I’m 32 and have been a compulsive gambler since I played for my first pokie when I was 17. My career and income has kicked off in the last 6 years and the addiction has grown significantly with it to the point that it is effecting my mental health greatly, trying to get on with normal life with the terror of knowing how sick I am but not being able to find the right help.

I’ve had similar experiences with GA and I find it hard to relate and not very helpful. I did try one on one Counselling but again, as you noted, it’s just more them asking me questions and generic dialogue I hear all the time regarding problem gambling.

I’ve never been homeless, but Ive felt the effect several swings of being up 40k+ to being broke not being able to buy food and getting into all kinds of debt to survive and also return to the punt. These mental experiences only a compulsive gambler could relate to. And something that I’m almost used to at this stage.

I’m not sure if engaging with other people in your position is helpful for you, however if it is, I’m in SYDNEY NSW, And always up for a coffee or a text if you ever need it. I had a big bust two days ago and can say it’s helped me reading your post. Thanks and stay strong
    2 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:38 pm

Welcome to the forums @Billylost.

I'm glad to hear that the forums have already been helpful for you, reading the stories of others that you can relate to.
    Just to let you know we keep things anonymous in our community for everyone's safety, so it's important not to exchange details, but I hope that connecting with others in the forum continues to be a help. It's a really great, non-judgmental community.

Are there some things you've tried in the past that have helped? Have you tried self exclusion?

Take care and again welcome!
    BrittV, community mgr
    1 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Community Manager. Wishing everyone all the best!

Return to “Community Space”