Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • My reasons for change

A place for our whole Gambling Help Online community to connect. Includes special forum events, monthly rundowns and a place to chat with forum friends.
    smokey86

Re: My reasons for change

Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:08 am

@Danos2292 thanks for your reply!

Yes, I understand 100% about how this addiction can make you lie as to where money is going etc. and then obviously feel the shame and guilt afterwards.

On quite a few occasions I have had trouble sleeping due to the guilt of this addiction.

For the first time since January, my husband, 2 kids and I all have these September school holidays off together!

We plan on doing a staycation these holidays and doing extra activities with the kids which will hopefully keep my mind busy.

What are your plans this weekend?
    1 x
    Danos2292

Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:23 pm

@smokey86

That's great to hear about your family spending all that time together :)

Nothing special for my weekend doing a full clean of the house and yard as our inspection is shortly so a fun weekend! Haha
    2 x
    smokey86

Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:22 pm

@Danos2292

Ha ha, it must be the weekend for it!

The hubby and I done about 3 hours worth of gardening and yard work this morning too!

Finally relaxing with a drink now :-)
    1 x
    Danos2292

Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:29 pm

@smokey86

Must be! Haha was a busy one just finished up the mowing, a well deserved drink I'm sure :) one more day not betting ! :)
    3 x
    smokey86

Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:59 pm

@Danos2292 yes, for sure!

Feels good to get out there in the sun, fresh air and work up a sweat lol

I'm on day 17 now and although the urges are still there, they are definitely less with my whole household currently being on holidays.

I had 3 options to go for lunch today and I was extremely proud of myself for not choosing a pub!

I wasn't confident if we went to the pub for lunch, that I wouldn't try and venture off into the pokie area, so needed to take away that temptation.

We are going for a pub dinner this Wednesday night, but will have the kids with us, so dramatically less chance of wandering off.

I hope you're enjoying your Sunday night!
    2 x
    Danos2292

Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:34 pm

@smokey86

It really does feel great although I'm exhausted relaxing now haha, congrats on day 17! And great choice on dodging the pub I would need to do the same.
    I'm sure U can do it on Wednesday! Good luck :)

Relaxing Sunday night for me before another big week :)
    4 x
    Grubb187

Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:28 am

Hi @Pikachu
    I am doing this for my family and also myself. I feel a lot better lately knowing money i would have normally gambled has been going towards new things for the house, laybys for kids bday presents and splurging a little bit on myself.
    I look back on how much money wasted and how many ways it could have been utilised better.
    Hope @smokey86 and @Danos2292 are doing well!
    3 x
    smokey86

Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:34 pm

Hi @Grubb187

Still doing well thank you.

My husband and I went to the pub to play some pool and have some lunch with friends Last Thursday. We both done ok and I think I needed to test myself whilst he was there to see if I could stop. I stopped at $50 but definitely wanted to put more in. So, instead we left and went home to the kids :-)

So technically back on day 5 today, but nowhere near as many losses as prior. I don't think I'll be going back for quite a while now though as I am determined to beat this monster.

Think I'm going to do a big clean out tomorrow and possibly put things aside for a garage sale as you never realise how much junk you accumulate!
    1 x
    Danos2292

Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:40 pm

Hi @Grubb187

I'm doing great thankyou ! 27 days and counting longest in 12 years :) it's for real this time I know it, I'm so glad your doing so well I'm in the same boat saving money that would have just been gambled away! We can all do it , it helps having a community of similar cases together we can beat it :)
    3 x

Return to “Community Space”