Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A with a gambling counsellor - what's stopping you from seeking support?
  • Day 7

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Mona58

Re: Day 7

Tue May 08, 2018 9:59 am

.--as you inch closer to your 6 month mark... fear may be coming into play. Going to meetings may give you added strength to get pass this subconsious fear. Have your barriers in place... stay strong!
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Jo-Anne

Tue May 08, 2018 10:08 am

Thank you Mona........yes I do probably have some subconcious fear, but feel very strong. Once I hit six months I will do the 100 day challenge again, which will take me past 9 months........will be counting each day though.......I have gone 2 years about 10 years ago when I have been single, settled and independent as now..........I share progress with my friends and family....and will be handing savings to my Aunty to look after.... ..meetings will be an added safeguard!!
    0 x
    How the F did I get here

Tue May 08, 2018 7:33 pm

159 👍👍👍Thats great Jo!
    So good to a still have money in the bank by the time pay day comes around.
    Paying bills weekly definitely does help.
    Must have been a great feeling buying your granddaughters winter uniform!
    Keep it up! Makes me feel more positive about my future and sobriety when I see you and others killing it that far in. ☺
    0 x
    Jo-Anne

Wed May 09, 2018 10:15 am

Thank you Tara, I was thinking about what you said this morning. I was going to buy an item of school uniform for my granddaughter each week over 3 weeks because the dress alone was $50. When my daughter went to the uniform shop everything was half price......they were having a sale! very fortunate!!....so I was able to pay for all at once...... $85 for dress, skirt, shirt and Jacket......a saving of $85. The moral to this story? I could have spent $170 in half an hour or less if I was still betting and wouldn't give the value of that money a second thought!..............Life is so much better now, and my granddaughter is looking lovely and nice and warm in her winter uniform!

Tara, you are doing so very well and I enjoy reading your posts.......stay strong!

Day 160
    0 x
    pamela

Wed May 09, 2018 11:23 pm

Jo-Anne it's a really nice feeling when you are able to do something as simple as buying school uniforms..at least you can see value for spending the money
    0 x
    Jo-Anne

Thu May 10, 2018 10:13 pm

A bit of an anxious day today......a few little urges happened earlier ....did not and will not succumb.....early night for me and hopefully a better day tomorrow.....Day 161
    0 x
    pamela

Thu May 10, 2018 11:41 pm

Good on you for fighting it Jo-Anne..stay strong
    0 x
    Jo-Anne

Fri May 11, 2018 10:43 pm

I am at the local having a quiet drink with my son......he is betting I am not....He is very controlled and just has a social gamble thank goodness. First time I have been able to do this......I was able to tell my son I can't bet $1 or I won't be able to stop....this is another step in the right direction for me because I am normally such a loner.....just go home after work and be by myself.....tonight I decided to go out straight after work and I'm glad I did....we have had a great night talking and laughing.....so hopefully another turning point tonight toward some more normality......
    0 x
    Mona58

Sat May 12, 2018 7:17 am

That's great Jo. We cannot let our addiction consume every aspect of our life. Keep strong.
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    suz-free

Sat May 12, 2018 10:11 am

Hi Jo,
    Well done on all your progress & acheivments. Something struck me that you said, that you can't put one dollar in a bet or you can't stop. This is the same as me, I have to stay right away from pokies, I've tried to control myself & can't. My partner is very controlled, he bets on the trots, about 30 per week. I don't know how he does it, I just can't as my addiction gets the better of me if I were to just put one coin in. Also, the stress it has caused my partner of what my spending did seems very damaged. Right now, I'm so unloved & disappointed by him, I am sick with migraine, and needed him to go Chemist for me but just now he shouted, it's all about me and that I don't care about him. Tomorrow will be a very sad Mother's Day for me instead of joyful. I'm at day 4 of my challenge but is it too late to repair all the damage ?? It frightens me that I can perhaps repair myself but not my partner. Anyway, I'm glad you're doing well Jo, keep it up and let me know of any advice for me & my partner.
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”