Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Starting my 100 Day Challange today (8/8/22)

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Pikachu

Re: Starting my 100 Day Challange today (8/8/22)

Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:31 pm

Hey @borisalexm22 ,
    Good to hear you had a good weekend~ :o
    Well done on recognising that this week might be a challenge for your, knowing this will allow you to be prepared if those moments really come. What strategies or support you have for this week ? If not, what do you think you could do? :);
    0 x
    Kevcollingwood

Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:06 pm

Hi @borisalexm22 , over the loss? Seriously, keep it fresh, you walked out of there broke and feeling like crap, you honestly would allow that to happen again?

What would your partner do? How many chances do you think you have? Stay strong mate.

Keep it at front of mind, that horrible feeling you have had many times.

My go to moment, losing $800 then looking for the cheapest bread I could get, I keep it fresh, horrible feeling, you need to find one.

Keep up the great work.
    2 x
    borisalexm22

Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:56 pm

Hey @Pikachu and @Kevcollingwood !
    Yeah this week has been harder for sure. A lot of stress from other parts fo my life and usually this is when I would go to the pokies to get away from it all. Over the losses for sure, much better to keep the pay check than to risk it all for some extra cash.
    Your right kev, I dont want to feel like that again and I know for sure it would be very hard for my partner to forgive me if I were to start again behind her back. I appreciate you sharing that experience, to be honest what has stuck with me and trigger this need to have a look at myself was my last week of the pokies before I quit. I actually won 2 grand jackpots and had a really good run, totalling just over 20K profit. Wasn't more than a week before I had fed it all back in. That memory will stick with me forever, and hopefully will be a story I share with my friends some day down the track when I have my gambling well under control.

I won't be gambling any time soon, like I said, its been a stressful week and harder times to come, but I'm going to try and stay strong.
    3 x
    Printemps

Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:46 pm

how are you travelling this weekend @borisalexm22 ? @Kevcollingwood that's some great advice, keeping those feelings in mind as a way to drive yourself forward!

Hope you're both doing well this weekend :)
    1 x
    borisalexm22

Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:55 am

I'm sure I posted her a day or two ago, I remember exactly what I said too, strange... Anyways, pay check yesterday and its been put straight into savings. tough day today, definitely one of my hardest, seeing gamblign everywhere (streamers on twitch, live streams on TikTok and videos on facebook. I have removed all the pages and people I followed aswell so just a coincidence I guess) I am getting that urge to go but I will keep trying not to. 16 days today I think, a very long way to go. Trying to keep myself busy with house jobs and tv shows. One day at a time I guess...
    1 x
    Pikachu

Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:18 pm

Good on you @borisalexm22 ~ :o
    Yes, one day at a time. Well done on being aware of those urges, the awareness helps you to identify the triggers and put strategies in place to help you.
    Do you have any plans for the saving money? :D
    0 x
    borisalexm22

Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:02 pm

Its been a little while but I wanted to check in and update my progress. I'm kind of dissapointed in myself for not checking in here more often but I think I leaned on this forum more at the start to stay motivated and commited to the challenge and now Im more in my own flow. I haven't gone to the pokies or gambled any money still and its been 25 days, a quarter of the way through (woohoo!). Big holiday coming up to America where I will be in Vegas and plan to gamble responsibly with my partner, this will be after I complete my challenge, so Im saving every dollar I can for our time away. Been really tough lately with other stuff going on in my life but trying to stick to this commitment. Check in again soon.
    2 x
    smokey86

Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:24 pm

Hi @borisalexm22

When I stopped checking in, I fell off the bandwagon bad.

I am back to day 1 after a lapse in judgment yesterday. One of my husband and I dreams is one day to go to Las Vegas. But I definitely need to get this addiction well under control first.

I wish you all the best for Vegas and please try and stay in control.

I think if we ever go, I'd need to make sure my husband is in full control of our spending money. I'm hoping one day I'll be confident enough to stick to a limit, but right now it's still early days.

Have fun on your holiday and remember Las Vegas has so much to do other than just gambling too. Apparently all their shows are excellent :-)
    0 x
    Printemps

Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:46 am

@borisalexm22 congrats on making it a quarter of the way through!

the trip to vegas sounds exciting, I'm just wondering do you have safeguards or a plan in place to manage yourself and your urges when you're back? It can be really easy to tell ourselves we've made progress but without. plan one little thing can drag us back to where we started.

@smokey86 I'm sorry to hear you've struggled recently but I'm glad you've come right back and are ready to give it your all again. Lapses can be frustrating, but they're also a great learning experience. Do you have an idea of what the trigger of this lapse was?
    1 x
    smokey86

Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:29 pm

@Printemps yes, unfortunately in this instance I know exactly what the trigger was.

I work in a very emotional setting and it was the day after I lost a patient and her young daughter was left an orphan with critical injuries post a car accident which involved multiple entrapments.

The poor little girl seen her mum pass away in front of her and there was absolutely nothing she could do. It was absolutely heart breaking.

As bad as it sounds, it was my brains way to "not think" for awhile and let go.

I know I need to find better coping strategies but at the time, I could not think. But I need to stop using this as an excuse too, as obviously I could "think enough" to be right to drive.

If I find myself in that situation again, I now have a notebook with approx 15 different things I can attempt to try and take my mind off it for a little while rather than ending up at the local pub.
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”