Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Gambling since for EVER

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Mary121

Gambling since for EVER

Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:49 pm

I started gambling at the age of 17 and the urge to do something was always there, as far back as I can remember I won on a chocolate wheel at a fete and I can remember the surge of winning felt in my chest. I was 5 years old. Ever since then I felt the need to control my surroundings. For if someone was watching me or seeing what I was doing I was going to be a weirdo. My gambling has taken me to the brink of bankruptcy and back again. It is a cycle of never ending debt and anxiety. I want the cycle to stop. I will never give up trying to help myself do the right thing. And I will always consider myself as a good person. I have however an addiction. I need help stopping, I cannot do this on my own. I am going to seek out the best form of assistance that I need. I believe that I have stopped on numerous occasions for all the wrong reasons and for all the wrong people. I believe I cannot stop for anyone else than my own self sanity. I have tried many avenues, and not for a single occasion, 12 months of counselling, 12 months of meetings and longer, nothing gets the urge out of my system. People keep asking the question, Do you want to stop gambling, my answer to them is always the same NO. So how do I want to stop gambling??? I don't know, I just have to keep saying to myself that there are more ways to help myself than I have tried and I have to keep going. The answer is out there. So for anyone else that has asked the same question and got the same answer. I can hear you.
    2 x
    gzy3

Re: Gambling since for EVER

Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:15 pm

Hi @Mary121 welcome to this forum!

Good on you seeking out assistance for your gambling concern.

And you are aware of how your relationship has been with gambling and you have actually tried many things - meetings and counselling etc.
    How did they work for you? Do you have any family or friends who understand your situation and support you through this?
    Hopefully you can get some insight or advice from other members and also you can share your experiences.

Again welcome to his forum!
    0 x
    Printemps

Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:20 am

heya @Mary121 Thank you for sharing your story with us, it sounds like there have been a lot of ups and downs but it's amazing to see you stay so determined.

I'm going to tag some other members here to see if they have some insight @Menz199 @Anita44 @Kevcollingwood @spentitallagain @Andy @Dfs674

Let us know how you're travelling today
    0 x
    spentitallagain

Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:13 am

Hey @Mary121

Sometimes you need to find the formula that works for you. There isn’t one single quick fix unfortunately.

I’ve done counselling, meetings etc in the past but I’ve been 82 days strong without doing them this time.

I think counselling and meetings in the early stages are super important but ultimately self reflection can be the biggest catalyst.

I did take away some valuable information from the counselling and the meetings but you need to ask yourself if that didn’t work, what method can I try this time to help me, just to get through today?

Having that self realisation made me think there shouldn’t be self pity if I can’t get to a meeting or I haven’t got a counselling session penciled in.

Posting daily on the forum gives me a bit of a +1 for the day. I listened to “Allen Car’s Easy way to stop gambling” which was a different perspective

I still apply really effective techniques from the counselling

-surf the urge
    -what life looks like in 5 yrs (with and without gambling)
    -one day at a time
    -my daily window of tolerance for the day
    -better time management throughout the day
    2 x
    Printemps

Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:43 pm

heya @Mary121 I wanted to check in and see how you've been going?
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”