Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Hit rock bottom again

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Pikachu

Re: Hit rock bottom again

Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:31 pm

Hi @Kevcollingwood ,
    I am a new community builder in this forum.
    It's been a while since we heard from you, how you doing? :)
    0 x
    Kevcollingwood

Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:20 pm

Hi @Pikachu

Going ok thanks, back on the straight and narrow, 11 days gamble free, I have been reading the forum’s, still struggling with my addiction.
    It was only when I read in a post, for the life of me cannot remember who, “surf the urge” and said to myself that is it I need to take control again.
    My problem was allowing my self to look a the races the night before, this would always lead to finding something to waste money on, or allowing myself to see how big the pokie jackpots are.
    So I “surfed the urge” no looking, and boom 11 days, it has been hard but I am here, if anyone remembers the post can you please tell me who?
    2 x
    Pikachu

Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:31 pm

Hi @Kevcollingwood , So nice to hear that you are doing well and you managed a way to "surf the urge". (which I think is from @spentitallagain ) :o
    1 x
    Printemps

Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:21 am

@Kevcollingwood how are you travelling this weekend? It's great to hear urge surfing has been working for you, it's a great technique!
    0 x
    Kevcollingwood

Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:35 pm

Hi @Printemps i am good thank you, just closing out day 14, I am all or nothing type of person, at the present moment I have chosen nothing, I need to be on my guard though, it can change in a heart beat.

Life when not gambling is great, the chores I catch up on is amazing, everything nearly gets ignored during my battles with the demons, my patience increases, I get back into my fitness more, I will keep “surfing the urge” 😁
    1 x
    spentitallagain

Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:52 pm

@Kevcollingwood boom mate! Yep “surf the urge” was something I really great gambling councillor taught me, it’s awesome how empowering a phrase can be.

I also read an article that interested me about effective methods of curbing a gambling problem and one of the most useful is posting on online support communities regularly.

So if you keep chipping away at it, one day at a time, surfing the urge and coming back on here and posting about the story, even in good or bad times you’re already way more empowered than if you didn’t. 11 days had flown for you mate, loving hearing about your story.
    2 x
    Kevcollingwood

Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:12 pm

@spentitallagain yes, you have that right, it would be the most successful method I have done using this forum, do I break out “yes” do I feel guilty and keep coming back “yes also” nothing I have tried before and we are talking 40 years of trying has me coming back.
    Cheers my friend
    1 x
    Kevcollingwood

Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:50 pm

20 days today, back on the straight and narrow, all or nothing! This is the way my life will continue, I choose nothing so much easier on the mind and body.
    Hope everyone else is having success, it has always been a hell of a struggle, keep trying and one day at a time.
    2 x
    Printemps

Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:23 am

@Kevcollingwood good on your for 20 days, I know it;s been rough but you've pushed through so much, you've got this
    1 x
    spentitallagain

Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:21 am

Bloody awesome @Kevcollingwood

Keep it up!
    4 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”