Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New Year and the start of recovery

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Dr.Semaj

Re: New Year and the start of recovery

Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:49 am

@Judes

I just noticed that I am tagging the wrong Judes. Are you the same person? Jude without the s that is.
    0 x
    Judes

Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:24 pm

@Dr.Semaj Lol I am @Judes with an “s” and no I don’t think I have been notified of your posts, however I check this forum everyday to see how both you and @Spartan are going, to see if there are others that I can perhaps support or if they have some ideas that I can use to help in my journey! It also helps me to post every few days to say how I am going so I don’t lose sight of the fact I am a gambler and DO have an addiction. This keeps me a little more grounded.
    1 x
    Kevcollingwood

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:56 pm

@Judes hi, it does keep you grounded by admitting we have a problem, and a serious one at that, keep it real my friend, never sugar coat it, it will not change because we have had a break.
    I have both, ever though I have not had alcohol for ten years, I still have a problem, I will never get rid of my problems but are managing the best I can, one day at a time my friend.
    2 x
    Judes

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:52 am

Thanks @Kevcollingwood - My Day#17 completed yesterday but faced another challenge … payday! Normally as soon as I have been paid - that evening I am straight down to the pub/club and blow most of it! I am also not working at present (contract finished last Friday), so having so much free time has meant a that I have to really work hard at filling in the day with meaningful things to do. BUT I am determined to do this!
    @Spartan ; @Dr.Semaj - how are you both going? Hopefully moving forward to an awesome gamble-free future!
    2 x
    Spartan

Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:24 pm

Hello @Judes @Dr.Semaj

18th day gamble free. Have had my kids yesterday and today. Will be sad seeing them go tonight and unfortunately that makes me vulnerable as I look for an instant dopamine hit to try and make myself feel better. That’s where gambling raises its ugly head so I’ll find something else to fill that void.

Just finished the 3rd series of After Life on Netflix. An awesome series. Ricky Gervais is my all time favourite celebrity. He creates awesome television.

I think for me to stay gamble free I need to find things that keep my mind occupied even if they are small.

Stay strong and don’t let the demon in
    0 x
    Dr.Semaj

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:31 pm

@Judes

Hi mate. Im feeling miserable atm. I have bills coming up and I feel overwhelmed by them. I have been contemplating to gamble my pay coming up this Thirsday. I know I have just enough to pay for the bills but we will be tight on groceries until next week when my wife gets paid. I know its not a guarantee and it is most likely I will lose.
    I am just feeling crap about it. See how it goes on Thursday arvo.
    I reall am stuck between a rock and a hard place. It is very difficult for me to deciide. Im so confused right now.
    0 x
    Judes

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:46 pm

@Dr.Semaj keep in mind you will never win on gambling. If you need to find a financial counsellor to help - please contact them - perhaps the online 1800 number can give you info on free ones! Call the companies you owe and see if you can get a payment plan. Let them know you are struggling. Do you have credit cards? Call them and see if you can suspend payments or even negotiate a reduced interest rate or hold on interest for 6 months. I am sure your wife is brilliant with making meals from whatever you have - I have definitely done that before - lived on rice and mince for many weeks! Keep going - this is your chance to break free of this cycle!
    1 x
    Judes

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:54 pm

@Spartan - think how proud your kids will be when in the future you tell them how you overcame a major addiction! Perhaps you needed to go through this to help them or another loved one at some point - not because they are addicted but to advise of the downfalls! You are doing so well! I also know if I keep my mind busy then I am better to resist! I went for a walk this morning and I am SSSOOO unfit - I walked 10km and it nearly killed me but it is another of my goals - health and wellness! I am listening to Wayne Dyers Making the Shift audio book over and over at present - it helps me to keep focussed! It talks about “God” a lot and I am not religious but I believe in a higher power so I translate that for me to mean “The Universe”. Rock on - you got this!
    0 x
    Dr.Semaj

Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:05 pm

Judes wrote:
    Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:46 pm
    @Dr.Semaj keep in mind you will never win on gambling. If you need to find a financial counsellor to help - please contact them - perhaps the online 1800 number can give you info on free ones! Call the companies you owe and see if you can get a payment plan. Let them know you are struggling. Do you have credit cards? Call them and see if you can suspend payments or even negotiate a reduced interest rate or hold on interest for 6 months. I am sure your wife is brilliant with making meals from whatever you have - I have definitely done that before - lived on rice and mince for many weeks! Keep going - this is your chance to break free of this cycle!
    Hello @Judes

Thank you for your advises.
    I am aware about the credit cards and financial difficulties strategies. At the moment I am on time on every loans that I have as well as all the bills in front of me. I intend to keep that credit report rating to average and above. I am only creating a problem because of gambling. That is one of my triggers with my addiction. I think about the bills all the time. When I think about them I automatically think I should gamble to have a discount on my bills and loan payments. I dont play for a jackpot or a huge win, I play for a wager in two weeks or even a month. My problem is not able to stop when I'm losing and not able to stick to my set limits. A lot of times, when I am winning I just want to keep playing until all winnings (made in a month or so) is finished. I do win most of the times within 30min of playing. I aim to win small amounts that is around $50-$100 per day, but when I do lose, I just lose control and finish what I brought with me and withdraw some more to try and win it back. It is like I go to the clubs to win no matter what. I hate losing as I am very competitive.

Breaking free from playing all together is the ultimate goal, but in reality its almost impossible for me. I have been gambling for more than 30 years. It is part of my habit/hobby in my life. A very expensive habit/hobby and a stressing at times. I do not smoke nor drink alcohol just gamble. 100 days challenge is a start. I feel that if I achieve this challenge then I know I am in control, and If my body or mind does not look for gambling then ill continue on-one day at a time. What I really want to achieve from this journey/challenge is to have more control over my addiction. Play or as they say "gamble responsibly" whatever that means. Be able to walk away, specially when losing the money you brought in to play. Be able to stick to limits and walk away when you reached that limits.

During lock-down, we had no choice but NOT to play. Thank goodness that I am not an online gambler. I used that time to improve my health and wellness. I lost 17 kgs by walking a lot and intermittent fasting combined in three months. I also reversed my diabetes. I no longer take my tablets for it which I am proud of this achievement.

The longest I have not gambled was 6 years, This was the time I went bankrupt and I didnt have a mortgage, personal loans and credit cards while bankrupt. I did not have to worry about paying those loans, hence gambling did not come to mind to earn extra cash. We were able to save up more than 20% for a deposit for a new house. I relapsed of course when I started paying a mortgage and bills (my trigger)

Being a Filipino, I could live on rice or instant noodles for weeks, my problem is that I do not live alone. I have 2 big boys and a wife to feed as well, they cannot last long with just the same food all the time :).

Geez I carry on too much sometimes haha. It feels good to vent, specially to people who could understand.

@Spartan keep up the strong will.
    @Judes well done for being so positive and helping out and encouraging others on this website. You are a good bloke.

Have a good one guys and thank you again for your advises and support. 4 days done and dusted.
    3 x
    Dr.Semaj

Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:06 am

@Judes and @Spartan

Just checking in on everyone to see how they are doing.

Is everything alright @Judes ? You are usually on the forums everyday. I hope all is good with you.

@Spartan I hope all is well to you too.

Cheers.
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”