Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • 100 Day Challenge

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Printemps

Re: 100 Day Challenge

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:50 pm

@Chandyyy99 It sounds like you've really thought through the best way to approach this challenge! Remember, take it one day at a time and be kind to yourself! New trackies is a lovely little treat! :o
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:12 pm

Hi @Chandyyy99,

It's day 7 of your 100 Day Challenge today. Just wanted to check-in and ask how did you go over the weekend? :);
    0 x
    Chandyyy99

Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:58 pm

Hi @Lovely Cat Lady

I have been very busy over the weekend!! Caught up with some friends on Saturday night for a friends birthday and was great to get out for a bit. Up to day 7 now and feeling very strong about this.
    I was very fortunate to be able to see a councilor for a face to face session on Friday. I will be seeing them each fortnight to check in and help myself with recovery. We talked through some different strategies and ways to eliminate the triggers which has been really beneficial.

I am working a lot and keeping myself busy.

Will try to most more recent updates as they go :)
    2 x
    Chandyyy99

Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:50 am

Hey guys!
    Time is flying by already up to day 15/100. I have been lucky enough to check in with a councillor fortnighly which has been great talking to someone face to face. I have also been checking in with a councillor through live chat once a week to keep me on track.

I was put onto the book - The Easy Way to Stop Gambling by Allen Carr. Great read and reccommend it highly it’s amazing the way the book has been written.

Now gone 2 weekends without gambling and that was the main struggle. The urges are becoming less and it is nice seeing money in my bank account. I have been a lot less stressed lately and really enjoying it at the moment. I’m back into the gym and focusing on the goals I’ve set myself.
    Still a long way to go but I am feeling good.
    2 x
    Printemps

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:20 am

heya @Chandyyy99 That's great that you've been able to get the support from your counsellors! You sounds so positive, which is really fantastic to hear.

As you've said, it is still a way to go, but it sounds like you're being really pragmatic in your approach and making sure you've got lots of supports in place to help along the way! The book sounds really interesting! I always love a good recommendation, so I'll have to put it on my reading list :o

The urges do subside overtime, and it becomes easier to move through them, is there any specific technique you've been using to help when the urges have hit?
    0 x
    Chandyyy99

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:45 am

I am only a couple of chapters in but the way he writes it is so interesting in unravelling Gambling as an illusion. I won’t go too much into it but it really is a great read!

One thing that I have been doing lately if I have an urge which my councillor told me to do was to go online and watch a video of someone else losing money gambling. That way it reassures me and I can remind myself 9/10 times you lose when gambling and it stops the temptation then and there for me :)
    2 x
    Printemps

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:56 pm

@Chandyyy99 that's actually a really great tactic! I haven't heard of it before, but it sounds like a really great approach. Gently reminding yourself of what can happen when you place a bet!
    0 x
    Chandyyy99

Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:27 pm

It has helped me so far so definitely reccommend to anyone! Always open to new suggestions too :)
    Like you said it just reminds myself why I am doing this and brings you a sense of joy when you reflect and it isn’t you losing the money
    2 x
    Chandyyy99

Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:34 pm

Another week down on my journey! Up to day 22 out of 100. The days really are going very quickly, I’ve had a few little urges along the way but was able to quash them with different strategies I’ve been discussing with my counsellor.

How is everyone else going today?
    1 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:42 pm

Well done @Chandyyy99! It's so great to hear you motivated. One more milestone in the bag. Keep up the good work! :cool:
    It's fabulous that you're working this through with your counsellor. Please do share any strategies you reckon might be useful for other members. :D
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”