Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Admitting I have a problem

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Hollymonster

Admitting I have a problem

Sun May 30, 2021 4:23 am

Ok, I finally admitted to myself that I have a problem and ill talk to my wife In the morning.
    My curse is dogs and horses, I've lost tens of thousands of dollars and I need to change.
    A 100 day challenge is a great start!!
    Friday and Saturday are the hardest for me as I enjoy a few drinks and like to have a punt, so to help overcome this ill have to eliminate both until I control my gambling (STOP it)
    This is my day 0!
    The first few days will be very easy, but the true test will be Friday when I try to break the habit.
    Wish me luck when I tell my wife in a few hours that I'm a gambling addict and have hidden the lost $$ for so long.
    The 1st step is a very difficult 1, but 1 I both want and need to make.
    Ill be sure to post again along my 100 day journey
    Thanks for reading
    0 x
    Hollymonster

Re: Admitting I have a problem

Sun May 30, 2021 3:47 pm

So I spoke to my wife today and admitted to my problem
    She wasn't angry at all and understands the addiction (she worked in gaming many years ago).
    I've asked for her help to control my addiction
    Ill beat this
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Sun May 30, 2021 4:14 pm

Hi @Hollymonster,

Welcome to the forums! Wow, lots going on for you this weekend. Firstly, good on you for admitting the issue to yourself and kudos for being brave and coming clean to your wife about it. It's going to make a world of a difference for you having her on your side for this. That's really really great news. I'm so glad (and may I say relieved) that she took it well.

Also, congratulations on starting the 100 Day Challenge! And yes, weekends are the most triggering for the grand majority. Something to help, we have a couple of activities on the weekends you might want to jump in and post whenever you want:
    - Saturdays > Turning the negative into positive and 3 things to look forward to
    - Sundays > 3 things to be grateful for and Share an inspiring or motivating quote

There's also many useful resources on here you might want to go through:
    -Understanding gambling
    -Making a change
    -Take a step forward
    -Helping others (this one would be for your wife)

You can also all our counsellors 24/7 for free on 1800 858 858. Keep the number in your phone, you might not need it now but it might come in handy during those weekend urges. And finally, I also recommend you go through some of the Success Stories. There's definitely light at the end of the tunnel. :);

I love your attitude, you can definitely beat this if you want to.

Please keep reaching out at anytime, we're here for you.
    I'm looking forward to following your journey. :D
    1 x
    Hollymonster

Sun May 30, 2021 6:49 pm

Thanks alot for the feedback. I'll be sure to save that number if the urge gets strong.

Coming clean to my wife helps a LOT!.
    For me personally it will help me to not gamble as she would clearly hear the racing channel.

I was a bit nervous at first but now that it's all in the open I feel alot better and know that with her support it will be much easier to beat.
    2 x
    Hollymonster

Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:58 pm

8 days today!
    The weekend was surprisingly very easy, we had heaps on so I never had the urge due to being so busy...

My usual gambling would occur after a few drinks watching the footy or on a quiet Saturday afternoon, so this Thursday and Saturday should be a good test.

I'm feeling determined and don't want to gamble so things are certainly looking good at the moment.

Ill update again next week.... Thanks for reading
    2 x
    Printemps

Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:52 am

hi @Hollymonster

Congrats on get through the weekend! Being busy does make things a lot easier, as you have less down time to focus on any urges that rear their heads.

Do you have an tactics in place to help you this Thursday and Saturday?
    1 x
    Hollymonster

Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:18 pm

Hi,
    You can also include tonight with the Origin on.
    No tactics in particular, just a drive and commitment.
    Ill be sure to update after the weekend, but I'm very confident.
    Thanks
    2 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:29 pm

Hi @Hollymonster,

Day 10 today!!! Wow, time flies! Well done on getting through the first week! (not far from 2 weeks now). :cool:

Knowing your reason to change, the drive and commitment you mention, is probably the main ingredient. Having tactics is like spicing up that main ingredient. One day at a time, you'll figure out what works and what not along the way. Planning ahead, being aware of your most triggering moments and keeping busy are all great strategies you already started putting in place. So good job on doing that! ;);

Great to hear your confident on getting through the weekend too. All the best in the coming days, you got this!

Do let us know next week how you're going. :);
    1 x
    Printemps

Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:12 am

hey @Hollymonster I just wanted check-in and see how you're tracking this weekend?
    0 x
    Hollymonster

Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:44 pm

Hi,

All went really well this weekend!
    We were again busy on Saturday and Sunday, but I didn't have any urge to gamble!!
    Even on Wednesday with the Origin and Thursday with the footy i didnt even think about it.
    So far tracking really well....
    For me personally admitting it to my wife made the addiction real and ensured I had to take accountability and stop.
    My own desire is what's driving me and so far ensuring I don't gamble

Thanks for asking
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”