Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Day 0 but feeling determined

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Menz199

Re: Day 0 but feeling determined

Fri May 21, 2021 11:12 pm

Thanks @Calvin (facilitator)

@DG Sorry to hear what your going through, my suggestion to you as @the_penguin said is to ring the hotline or try the chat counselling on here. I have found both in the past very helpful.

Woah 3 weeks now for me, can't believe that it has gone that quickly.
    Work was good today, was a bit slow but otherwise good. Looking forward to the weekend, got a few a things planned.

Day 21 - 3 weeks already go me :D
    2 x
    Anita44

Sat May 22, 2021 10:25 am

Hi menz199 just wanted congrats you make it 3 weeks now, I'm just on 2 weeks just hope we all stay strong for this journey together. Have a wonderful day menz199
    1 x
    TheTiges

Sat May 22, 2021 11:38 am

@Menz199 Three weeks is amazing to hear! You should be really proud of how far you've come, your motivation is so powerful to see! What do you have planned for this weekend?
    1 x
    Menz199

Sat May 22, 2021 11:43 pm

Thanks @Anita44 i've been reading your thread on and off, since you started. Your doing great, keep it up.

@TheTiges Thanks, I am really proud of myself. The first week was a bit tough, but worked through it as best I could and here we are. I admit I am tempted occasionally, as gambling thoughts do cross my mind, every now and again. Plus I did have that nightmare where I was playing the pokies. But when those thoughts do come. I do my best to shut them out and think of other things. One problem is when gambling thoughts do occur, I and I'd imagine we all do. We tend let let them linger and think about them more and more, and eventually succumb to temptation and then gather up our things and before you know it, you've either taken or gotten money out and your sitting there playing again.

But as I said, I do my best now to not let them linger and shake them out and think about other things :D

Today was great, I did chores for most of the morning, then went out and did some shopping, mainly some warmer clothes and a heater. I did spend quite a bit of money today, but it makes me happy that I'm buying things rather than throwing the money away to the pokies. I think my first goal is going to be saving for a new pair of joggers, as my current ones are starting to fall and apart and I want to buy some decent ones.

Day 22 Feeling proud of how I gaining a better understanding on how to manage money
    3 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Sun May 23, 2021 1:48 pm

Hi @Menz199,

How's your weekend going? Day 23 for you today! Yay!!!

Having occasional temptations is normal and part of the process. Also, I want to acknowledge the courage and strength you've shown in admitting so.
    That's right, you've identified the pattern. Good job! That's why it's great to plan ahead and have a list of things, hobbies or activities you can do to keep you're mind off during those tempting moments. What sorts of things have you been doing so far to take your mind off gambling when you're tempted?

I'm really glad that you're feeling proud of yourself. You're doing such a magnificent job. :);
    0 x
    Menz199

Mon May 24, 2021 12:55 pm

Hi All
    Day 25, I missed another day D’oh :p but the time I realised I hadn’t post it was nearly midnight, so thought I leave it otherwise I wouldn’t get much sleep haha.

My weekend was great thanks @Lovely Cat Lady, how was yours?

I mainly cleaned up and reorganised my bedroom yesterday, something I’m really pleased with, as I normally just tidy and vacuum my room, but within a week, buts a mess again haha. I am going to aim to keep it tidy, I just have to teach myself not to just drop clothes and things on the floor lol.

I don’t actually have a strategy for when the thoughts do come, as I just think of something else or distract myself. Even when I drive past a venue I don’t think about gambling, more about the other poor people stuck in there and wish I could drag them out of there somehow.

I have been around friends who have talked about gambling or big wins which does trigger me, but I just tell myself to stay calm and take deep breath’s if necessary and the urge soon passes. None of them of pressured me to play as of yet, which is good, but if the occasion were to happen, I feel strong enough to say no and keep saying no if they were to pressure me.

So today I woke up this morning feeling a bit down, but got up and started my routine. Was thinking I should make a to-do list as I say I’m going to do things, but either put them off or forget about them.

I’ve never really stuck to to-do lists but I’m going to try and stick to one this time. I want to try and develop some good habits, and having a bit more of a structured day would be beneficial. Particularly on the weekends. As I say I’ll do this and that, but only end up doing one of the things, or not do what I’m supposed to do entirely.

I do occasionally feel a bit depressed but i believe I’ve discovered something. My mind makes me feel depressed/ or I think bad thoughts, so that I want to turn to gambling so I can get that sweet dopamine rush it gives. When in turn, while I’m in the zone I’m happy, but feel like garbage on the other side.

It’s trying to trick you into feeling miserable just so you’ll push towards doing something that makes you happy. For me that’s gambling.

Again this is something that will weaken as time goes on and I don’t gamble, but I’m going to do some research into how I can better manage bad thoughts.

Amazing how much clearer we think when we take time just to think about things and not gamble.

Sorry if I’ve repeated myself from previous posts.

After taking a step back and thinking about things, I feel much better.

Today is going good so far, works going well.

I just had a small panic attack as I thought I’d saved this as a draft, then when I’d loaded it came up blank, I thought I’d done something wrong, but found it in the user control panel. So all is good now lol. Thinking all that time and effort wasted and that I’d have to do it again :p

But all good, apologies for the long post.

Day 25- feeling good and trying to better myself in more ways.
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Mon May 24, 2021 2:13 pm

Hi @Menz199,

Day 25, way to go! :cool:

My weekend was great too, thank you for asking. :o

I’m so pleased to read your post (and it’s ok to miss a day, sleep is important too). What a productive weekend you’ve had. Yes, tidiness is hard to maintain, but not dropping clothes and things on the floor will definitely help keeping it organised.

Thinking of something else or distracting yourself is a strategy in itself, and telling yourself to keep calm and take deep breaths too. So good job! :);

Yes, triggers are going to pop-up. But I’m really happy to hear you’re feeling strong enough to say no and resist the peer pressure.

The to-do list sounds like a good idea. It can feel highly rewarding to cross things off the list once they’re done. Some people like having it on post-its, others on a white-board and some in a notebook. Where are you planning to have it?

Menz199, sounds like you’ve had a massive breakthrough. You should be really proud. What you’ve described is exactly the addiction cycle, chasing the dopamine rush. It’s precisely this component that makes gambling potentially addictive. And you’re spot on, for this same reason the urges will decrease over time as those associations in the brain stop being reinforced, which you’re already on track of doing.

I’m interested in seeing what your findings are on how to better manage bad thoughts. You might find some pointers in the Thinking straight and Maintaining change sections. When you get a chance, I highly recommend you watch this documentary: KaChing Pokie Slot Documentary why slots are addictive. Would love to hear your thoughts afterwards.

And please don’t apologise for repeating yourself from previous posts. It’s great that you’ve concentrated many reflections on this post, so you can use it as a reference for yourself in the future. ;);

Good to hear work is going well for you today, hopefully it will keep that way throughout the week.

Haha, I’m glad you were able to find the draft within the user control panel (what a relief, I know what it feels like to lose something you’ve invested time in writing).

:D
    0 x
    Menz199

Tue May 25, 2021 12:16 pm

Hi all
    Ok so I've made a mistake without even realising it, yesterday was day 24, today is actually day 25, so apologies about that. The joys of skipping a day, they can muck up the whole flow of writing. Without me even realising it :p

Anyway yesterday afternoon/evening was good, didn't do a lot but was good regardless.

Today work is going super slow, so feeling very tired, despite not doing much work lol.

Thank you so much for your ongoing support @Lovely Cat Lady I really appreciate it. :D I really enjoy reading your replies and your encouragement,

Now about the to-do list, not sure, post it notes could work, as I can put them up as constant reminders, notebooks I tend to ignore and I use my phone for things like reminders, but I am finding things better if I don't have to use my phone, I'm trying to reduce the time spent looking at technology as hard as it is. So post it's are looking like the way to go.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check it out when I get a chance. I've watched Kaching Pokie nation a few times, wouldn't hurt to watch it again.

I have watched a couple of times a short documentary called 'Bright Light's which I find interesting. I will also re-watch that when I get a chance.

And your right about the breakthrough, I feel like a achieved a huge amount, in just under a month, I know there's a long road ahead of me. But I'll figure it out as I go along. I'm a bit more health conscious, physical and mentally. I'm 100 times happier as I'm getting my life back on track and slowly building up some savings. Just got to challenging myself so that I can push myself further.

Day 25 - The actual day 25 haha :rolleyes: Feeling great, though tired, I believe it's coffee time.
    1 x
    Menz199

Tue May 25, 2021 10:57 pm

The rest of today was pretty good, work picked up and was able to finish early, which was a bonus. Another quiet evening at home.

By the way, whenever I’m feeling a bit down, I always put some music on and it cheers me up, music always helps to motivate me.
    2 songs that always help me stay focused are:

Blow up the pokies by the Whitman’s always helps to remind to stay strong

One day at a time by Joe Walsh reminds me to take things one step at a time (this song is about alcoholism but change a few words and can suit any addiction I think)

Anyone else got some favourite songs to keep them motivated?
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Wed May 26, 2021 10:56 am

Hi @Menz199,

How are you today? You know, I was gonna say that you had skipped a day, LOL. Good on you for keeping track. ;); so Day 26 today, yay!

And you're most welcome. It's a pleasure following your progress. :);

Yeah, post-its are a great option. As you said, you can put them everywhere as reminders. You can even build a time-line of goals with post-its.

I haven't watched 'Bright Light's', so thanks for the suggestion. I'll watch that one too.

Yes, seems like you've achieved a lot in a month. I'm really glad for you. True, the road ahead might be long, but you're not alone and your determination will go a long way. That's so great, congratulations on all the hard work that's starting to pay off. Day by day you're building the life that you want for yourself.

Music is one of the best therapies, the right song can really change your mood. I'm going to listen to the songs you've shared. A song that always calms me down is 'Song for angels' - Crimson Glory. My favourite parts are "before you smile, you have to cry sometimes.... even angles need to learn how to fly". It reminds me that the learning curve is ongoing, and it's okay to stand at moments in the dark because the Sun will always shine again eventually. Another song that always motivates me is a classic: 'Eye of the tiger' - Survivor. :cool:
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”