Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Day 0 but feeling determined

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Menz199

Re: Day 0 but feeling determined

Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:23 pm

Thanks @Printemps, yes it is important when it comes to physiologists and the like, to be able to find someone to relate to.

Day 89 sooo close to the big countdown of 10 days.

Work today is going at what I like to call glacial pace. Very very slow, would rather be somewhere a bit more fun. Or even at home. But I’m reminding myself that hopefully I won’t be doing this job for too much longer and that there is a greater challenge ahead. I’ve just got to be patient.

It’s a absolutely beautiful day up here, it’s really sunny and warm as if it were spring.

How’s are your days going @Printemps and @Lovely Cat Lady.
    2 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:13 pm

Good afternoon @Menz199,

Sorry to hear work is going at a "glacial pace" today (but what a great term, I might borough that one, hehe). That's a wonderful attitude, keeping in mind your goals in the longer-term while being patient in the present.

It's good to hear that about the weather. Yes, not that long now for spring to arrive. You're already getting a glimpse, that's nice.

Pretty good, thanks. Traffic is back and there's more people in the office. Overall, feels like everyone is happy today (I wonder why, hehe). :rolleyes:

Day 89, smashing goals all the way through. Well done! "It's the final countdown...". :cool:
    0 x
    Menz199

Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:46 pm

Yes feel free to use that phrase haha, I just thought of it one day when things were really slow at work, what’s slower than a moving glacier/iceberg lol.

Good to hear that Melbourne is open once again and that you have freedom once again, very happy for you 😀
    1 x
    Anita44

Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:44 pm

Hi menz199

How are you doing?
    Congratulations 11 more days to go menz199 just amazing.
    Than it's will be my turn after that, I am excited.
    Life it's good without gamble, stress free.
    1 x
    Menz199

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:48 pm

Hi @Anita44
    I'm doing great thanks. I know it's getting very close, I can see the finish line in the distance.
    That's right because not long afterwards it will be your turn. Yes my life have completely turned around and I'm all the better for it. I just had to believe in myself a little. Your doing amazing also.

The rest of the day didn't get much better work wise. I intended to go for a run after work. But being tired it was just a quick walk but better than nothing right. I plan on getting up early and running, hopefully it's not too cold.

I did cook spaghetti Bolognese for dinner, it's the one other dish I can make without too much difficulty and without making too much mess haha. It turned out well and I have some leftovers for lunch/dinner later in the work.

Fingers crossed that work is busy the rest of the week.

Day 89 - Almost 10 days to go. :D
    1 x
    Anita44

Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:43 pm

Hi menz199 that great you don't need to cook for the next few day now.
    Another easy meal if you go buy cole roast chicken and you go buy some vege like potatoes, sweet potato and carrot roasted in the oven for just over 1hrs, make some gravy pour on top of the roast meal it's yummy and it's cheap way to do it too.
    Or cole roast pork are pretty good too, nice winter meal.
    When it's weekend everyone home I like cook roast meal, but I will do roast beef and roast pork or roast chicken and roast beef and roast vegetables everyone Love it.
    I like to make a little extra so they all can have the next day, so my partner don't need to cook the next day too.

Life it's good without gamble.
    1 x
    Menz199

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:56 pm

Those are great suggestions @Anita44 I'll keep those in mind.

Today was great, work was ok but overall was a great day.

So today I intended to get up early (5:30) and go for a run because I wouldn't have time in the afternoon. But as per usual I was lazy and stayed in bed for a while. Then at 6:30am I finally dragged myself out of bed and said, either you can get ready and go to work or still go for a run. I then said 3 things which I felt were important.

1. Well you can go to work but there's no guarantee that there will be work for you to do when you get there.

2. If you don't keep up the running you probably won't keep it up and give up.

3. What's more important for your mental health, being at work with potentially nothing to do and slowly going crazy from boredom. Or going for a run which is going to help your mental health as well as your physical health.

I'm very pleased to say I went for a run this morning and felt great for doing so, I was very exhausted at the end but very pleased that I made the right choice.

I actually talked myself into doing exercise haha, something I never thought I would say. But again I'm pleased that I made the right choice.

It made me think when it comes to decisions like that, always choose what's going to help your mental health. It won't always involve exercise of course but I think it's a excellent point I've raised with myself. That way if I feel a bit lazy I feel more likely to do the task that needs doing rather than putting it off.

Now I am in a group called 'The Kindness Pandemic' on Facebook. It's a group that started last year just after the world turned upside down with COVID. It's a place where people either share their stories of receiving or giving random act's of kindness.

Anyway I went into the local library to print a few sheets off that I need for work. While doing so I overheard the poor Librarian get frustrated because machines weren't working and things were certainly not going her way. Feeling inspired from reading a few posts from the group after I was finished printing I thought hey, lets do something nice for her because she's having a rough morning. So I went down to the supermarket down the street and bought a block of chocolate. I went back to the Library. Now unfortunately she couldn't take it as she can't eat chocolate and they can't really accept gifts without filling in lot's of paperwork she said. But she did thank me for the kindness and thinking of her.

I was a little bit embarrassed of carrying out my plan, but hey it's told me that my mind/hearts back in the right place. Which is looking out for others. I know I have my own faults to deal with but I can start looking out for others again.

Day 90 - very tired but overall a pretty good day, again I feel like I've leant a very important lesson, which Is when faced with a tough decision (doesn't even have to be a tough decision) do what's best for your mental health.

10 Days To Go
    3 x
    Printemps

Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:14 am

@Menz199 I need to take a page out of your book and start talking myself back into exercise!

You've really readjusted your mindset, and it sounds like it's having such a positive impact on you!

That's a really lovely thing to do for the lady in the library, can you imagine yourself having done that two months ago? Small gestures like that mean the world to people and I'm sure she went home that day with such a smile on her face, even if she wasn't able to take the chocolate.

That's such a good lesson to take away for your day, and something to keep in mind at all times. Nothing is more important than your mental health!

How are you travelling today? ;);
    1 x
    Menz199

Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:16 pm

Haha thanks @Printemps glad I can help you.

Yes I mindset has changed a lot it’s 100 times better than what it once was.

Hmmmm, I honestly don’t think I would have had the confidence to doing something like that. I might have thought about it but more than likely talked myself out of it.

Or I would have been too caught up on my own mental struggles to take notice of others.

Yesterday was alright, work was at its usual pace. Today is going great, I’m doing a training course. Which will help me get in disability support job.

How are you going today @Printemps and @Lovely Cat Lady
    2 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:44 pm

Hi @Menz199,

How are you today, how did the training course go? I'm great, thanks. Sun's been good to us this weekend, its been nice to not be shivering all day, LOL. :o

I just want to say that the thing you did for the person in the library is really sweet. A small deed like that can go a long way and you don't know if maybe it potentially made a whole of a difference in this person's day (or even life), even if she wasn't able to accept the chocolate. It's a really good point you've realised, by having more "space" in your mind, you had "mental space" to notice others like you said. And congratulations, this sounds like another one of your breakthroughs to me. You've been mentioning wanting to work on your social anxiety, this is an excellent example of overcoming that (and kudos to your psychologist too, you guys are doing a wonderful job together - you doing the heavy lifting of course).

You reckon this is the sort of thing that can potentially snowball into more social interactions, as in become a virtuous cycle?
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”