Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • My 100 day journey starts now

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    cevane1979

My 100 day journey starts now

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:07 pm

I have been a compulsive gambler for 20 years with pokies being my kryptonite. It got that bad that I went bankrupt because of my debts. I sought help but I never stopped. I suppose I didn’t really want to despite the pain I caused friends and family.
    Now, as a 41yr old still living at home, stuck in debt after gambling half my pay to end up with nothing, I finally see how much damage I have caused myself. I have also caused conflict between my parents as my mum was enabling my addiction.

After kicking myself for the past 36hrs for my decisions, I am seeking out help again with the determination to not go back to gambling.
    I am starting this journey this time with friends by my side and doing what I should have done from the start - self exclusion
    1 x
    TheTiges

Re: My 100 day journey starts now

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:50 am

Hi @cevane1979,

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like you've had a really difficult time, but the fact you're starting this journey with the support of good friends and self-exclusion is really great to hear! Are there any other techniques you'll be using? Maybe some other community members can offer some tips they've found useful?

I look forward to hearing from you throughout your 100 days! :o
    0 x
    cevane1979

Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:37 pm

Thank you @TheTiges :);
    I’m using distraction and goal setting to help.
    I would love to hear about any techniques that others find helpful
    0 x
    TheTiges

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:16 pm

@cevane1979

They sound like really great techniques!

The blog also has some useful articles with different strategies as well. I'd recommend checking it out!

https://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/b ... -your-face

:o
    1 x
    royalblue143

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:08 pm

I feel your pain as pokies was my addiction. I am only completing day 1 of GF but I can say that i even had the thought to go to pokies because it is Friday. The minute the idea came in my head I said to myself I don't want to do it and I want to keep my money.and gave myself a mental pat on the back. I know that when pokies have taken so much sometimes there are other parts of life to repair. For me I am going to focus on paying my debts and getting back on track. I might not have much extra money for a few months but repairing the financial damage should be healing. I also think I have a lot to think about as far as life decisions and I need time to work out what I like after years of being so disconnected. I am finding that in this early few weeks I might just stay close to home and around supportive people to build up strength and then try something new to do in my free time.
    3 x
    TheTiges

Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:21 am

hi @royalblue143 ,

It sounds like you're really determined! Having a good reason to say no, like keeping your money, is fantastic as it helps you build up your strength for when those urges come up! The more you say no the easier it gets, just remember, one day at a time! Staying around supportive people and being kind to yourself are really important as well. Good on you, let us know what you decide to do in your free time.

:o
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”