Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • I am starting the 100 day challenge!

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Natemoody

I am starting the 100 day challenge!

Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:07 pm

Day 1-100 :confused:
    Yesterday my grandma passed, she raised my sister and I after a tough childhood. Up until a few weeks ago I had not problem gambled in over 12 months. I have gambled $11540 of my own savings in two weeks, I am ashamed and disgusted in myself. Today and yesterday, after withdrawing and gambling all of my savings, I applied and received 3 short term loans totalling $4000 not including the fees. I gambled $1000 of this, before I chopped up my debit cards and sought help. (This is a seperate issue, what happened to responsible lending!! They get access to your bank statements!!!)

This is so hard, pokies are everywhere and feel so predatory on people like myself who are struggling. Staff at these venues do nothing, offer you free drinks and food, never asking if you are ok; despite seeing the concern on there faces. I am lucky I have a great paying job and supportive partner. I can quickly pay back and save the money I have lost in the past two weeks, and I guess I was niece to think my problem was gone, despite my progress. I am lucky I paid everything off recently and have no debt, I guess that’s something!

So with compassion and patience towards myself I will treat this as a set back, somewhat of a scare.

This is day 1 of attempt 2 to quite gambling.
    All debit cards are destroyed and I will work on making my money harder to get at, ie not instant transfers.

If you are reading this, thank you, and I hope you succeed in defeating the reasons you gamble and realise your potential in life.

Thanks
    Nathan
    4 x
    AGHS

Re: I am starting the 100 day challenge!

Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:55 pm

Hi Nathan, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Your grandmother sounded like she was an amazing person!! Sounds like you had hit a bit of a rough spot but you seem to know what you need to do to rectify your situation. The 100 day challenge is a great start and getting rid of those dam credit cards. You are doing all the right things, just keep it up. And you are right about the venues, they don't care if your actions, body language, how much money your spending indicate that you may be struggling with your gambling. There job is to keep you there as long as possible and suck every cent out of you and might I say, they do a dam good job too. You have come to the right place..........we all have travelled this road.
    1 x
    Lookin4Help

Re: I am starting the 100 day challenge!

Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:54 pm

Nathan I am sorry for your loss.

It is a positive thing that you are able to recognise this as a relapse.

As AGHS said, you appear to have a good grasp on what you need to do going forward.

Stay strong brother and remember: 2 steps forward, and 1 step back..... Is still 1 step forward.
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”