Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Tomorrow is Day 1

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Eesamay

Tomorrow is Day 1

Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:40 pm

I’m new to this group and keen to see if it can help me overcome my crazy urges to visit those shiny machines.

I’ve been gambling on the pokies for the last 12 years or so. I started when I was going through a divorce and had a nice amount of disposable income (at least that’s what I always told myself- heaven forbid I actually saved the money) and a very flexible schedule.

For me it was definitely a way to just shut everyone out for awhile. I didn’t have to talk to anyone or think about anything. The wins were addictive yet the money didn’t really seem to hold a lot of value- I would just keep feeding the machine without thinking about it.

When I moved to Australia (Im from the States) it got even worse because you could win so much more and the majority of the pubs had the machines which made it so easy. Over about 4 years I had some real big wins- even put down $15k deposit for a new car from one of my winnings but I can’t even count how much I’ve actually spent. Far more than I have won I’m sure of it.

I moved to the Territory 5 years ago and my habit has gotten progressively worse. Over the last 2+ years I have taken a number of steps to help me stop- the most effective is self excluding from venues but boy they make it hard here. You have to physical mail or hand in a form that you’ve filled out with your photo. I’ve done this to a couple dozen places in town but sure enough I always seem to find a new hidden place that I go to for a few days and blow thousands until my force myself to fill out another form.

To make it even harder I’m in hospitality so I have this fear that I’ll be judged by colleagues if they see my form. I just have to keep telling myself it’s what I need to do to prevent myself from blowing all my money.

I guess I’m using this group as a bit of accountability and a place to share my thoughts. No one in my life has any idea I have this addiction so I’m glad I know how a group to talk with and learn from.

Thanks for reading- day 1 is tomorrow!
    PS I have filled out a new form for the place I visited this weekend.
    1 x
    Kevcollingwood

Re: Tomorrow is Day 1

Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:14 pm

@Eesamay welcome, it sounds like you are doing your best to get this horrible disease under control, grab yourself a calendar and highlighter and put a cross through each day gamble free, I find this rewarding and a good visual to keep you on track, good luck 🤞
    0 x
    Eesamay

Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:17 pm

Thanks Kevcollingwood- that is a good idea. I’m currently doing 100 days no alcohol which has been pretty easy and I’ve done something similar- have key milestones pop up on my phone. I’ll do this for the gambling as well. Appreciate the support.
    2 x
    Damaged_Armour

Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:55 pm

Eesamay wrote:
    Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:17 pm
    Thanks Kevcollingwood- that is a good idea. I’m currently doing 100 days no alcohol which has been pretty easy and I’ve done something similar- have key milestones pop up on my phone. I’ll do this for the gambling as well. Appreciate the support.
    Staying off the alcohol will definitely give you an advantage.
    0 x
    There's No such thing as "Just Once"

You want to stop gambling? Ok great, put your boxing gloves on.
    Kevcollingwood

Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:43 pm

@Eesamay hi, nine years for me alcohol free, everything is either flat out or not at all, it is hard to combat 2 at the same time, if I gave up the drink my gambling would be out of control and visa versa, all the best with beating all.
    0 x
    Icandoit

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:08 pm

I was the worst gambler. I spent thousands of dollars on gambling. Lost all my friends. My wife left me. I was seconds away from jumping on the train track to end my life. I hurt days and nights. On the 6th of March I gambled and lost $15K. That was my last day gambling. I Just wanted to let all you people struggling to not give up. I'm clean 320 days. Really, if I can, you can too.
    2 x
    HelpfulBee

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:44 pm

Hi @Icandoit ,

What a fantastic accomplishment! I'm sure your message will give hope to so many people who have themselves in a similar situation and can't quite see a light at the end of the tunnel just yet.

I would love to hear more about your story, what advice would you give to someone at the start of their journey? What worked well for you?

Looking forward to hearing more about your story,

HelpfulBee
    0 x
    Icandoit

Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:08 am

My first step was to confess. I told every single person in my family and friends about my gambling addiction. I told them how I lied to them. I told them the money they would lend me was for my gambling.

I hit my rock bottom but still It wasn't easy. I had to commit. I struggled with the urges. I'm still 50k in debts. Slowly paying off but I try really hard not to think about what's gone.

Confess
    Cut your losses
    Stay strong and never stop believing in yourself
    It's only hard in the beginning
    Remember how you hurt everytime you lost, you don't wanna go through that again.
    Don't give money a priority.
    There are lots of happiness out there, having money is not the only one.
    THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS QUITTING GAMBLING IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE AND YOU CAN DO IT.
    Gambling leads to suicide. If you wanna live, don't gamble.

If anybody wanna talk, even in person. I'm always here. We need help. We need to support each other.

Love you all
    0 x
    the_penguin

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:37 pm

Hi @Icandoit

I definitely agree that a very important first step is to be open and honest with the people that have been affected by your gambling. It can create a space where you're more accountable for actions. It can also be such a load off your mind to know that there is no longer a need to lie and cover up for your secretive behaviours.

The steps you mentioned are really clear, and a great path for many others to follow if they really want to stop gambling.
    I do have to be a stickler about your last point though. You said 'gambling leads to suicide'. It's true, gambling can lead to suicide and many other horrible consequences. It's a possibility, not a given.
    But you are right, the consequences of gambling can be immense and life changing. It's hard to see where putting a coin into a machine could lead. For some it's harmless, for others its the dire.

@Kevcollingwood @Damaged_Armour @Eesamay
    Can you relate to any of the steps @Icandoit listed?
    1 x
    Kevcollingwood

Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:44 pm

Hi @Icandoit you have taken the first biggest step, I HAVE A PROBLEM, never try to sugar coat it, you are not alone with your thoughts, all off us on here have probably had most of these thoughts, complacency, it is what broke me last time, always keep the I HAVE A PROBLEM in the front of mind 1 day in, 10 days in, 100 days in, yes I do, but I will deal with it, 1 day at a time, stay strong and walk your nickname “you can do It”
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”