Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • 100 Day Challenge

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Leslie1111

100 Day Challenge

Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:45 pm

Hi All,

Its a bit of a new experience for me, creating a new forum and I guess I'm a bit lost at the moment. But I know for a fact I have a gambling issue.

The value of money never register for me and I think that is my biggest issue. I bet and bet - with days blowing over $1000 on pokies and chasing wins. I know I have a massive issue and fortunately I don't have kids or commitments as this gambling issue will cause an impact.

However, I am looking forward to start this 100 day challenge and make a positive change.

I want to make my future better and like everyone said on this forum, "its nice to see saving in your bank account". But also be happier without the thrill of winning a bet.

Goodluck to everyone! and wish me luck :)
    2 x
    Leslie1111

Re: 100 Day Challenge

Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:58 pm

Strategies taken

- remove all physical cards so cannot withdraw money from ATM
    - place bans on my card so i can't transact online transactions relating to gambling or oversea supplier.
    - set direct debit so money goes straight to saving when paid
    - set daily reminder to "Never Give up"
    - be more aware of gambling feelings
    - exercise more
    - remove any cash on me
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:17 pm

Hi @Leslie1111 Welcome to the forums! :)

Many people experience that similar back and forth toxic relationship with gambling. It can be very destructive.
    I'm glad that you have come up with a list of strategies that would help you overcome the gambling bug.
    You sound very determined and motivated! :D

It may also be useful to pinpoint specifically what your urges are to gamble, figuring out specific time frames when you experience these urges then prepare for what strategies will be useful at those times.

Does anyone have any additional helpful tips or words of encouragement for Leslie1111 at this time?
    0 x
    Leslie1111

Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:02 pm

Its day 3 and definitly feel the urge to play as I drive past the local venue. However when I rethink about the $$$thousands that I've lost it gives me a s### feeling which deteriorate me from going in.

I think the urge for me is definitely when I'm bored or I see money in my account. I have recently try to distract myself through more excerise and simply investing my money into an index fund. This means I will just have enough money in my bank to pay for my daily expense.
    2 x
    AGHS

Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:09 pm

The urges you are feeling are normal....try to distract yourself when you get the urges, they WILL go away until the next one. You will be tempted to gamble, your brain will rationalise why you should gamble, even trick you into just $50. Be aware of these triggers/traps. Eventually the urges will get less and you will become stronger.
    2 x
    Leslie1111

Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:57 pm

Thanks AGHS! Definitly got plenty of distraction with Xmas coming up!.

Hope everyone have a safe and happy Xmas :)
    1 x
    Yeahnah

Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:11 pm

I got the same problem.

I don't have commitments but blew a lot and its extremely destructive.

I regret it so much and don't know why I did it for so long.
    0 x
    Leslie1111

Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:44 am

Hi Yeah nah,

I totally understand where you coming from.

I really lack the commitment and hence taken extreme measure now to disconnect all my cards and withdrawl method.

I'm currently using credit card only to pay for my expense and placed a hold on gambling transaction so I can't use my card to gamble.

I definitly felt the regret now and same as you, blew alot of money for a long time.

However - keep motivated and have a goal set!
    0 x
    Leslie1111

Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:48 am

Hi All

Another point to mention - disconnect yourself from all pokie ads and Facebook posts relating to pokies. It helps alot!

Try not to watch any video thats gambling related. Although you may not be gambling, you will sub consciously think about it.
    1 x
    JB-nsw

Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:16 pm

Im new, was going to challenge myself for 3 months and then broke it again.. now I see this topic so will try this from tomorrow. This is the first time putting this out into the general world - im a massive problem gambler.. thats my own definition anyway. I go ok for a week hating them and then fall into the self sabotage only $x and then leave. I know full well before I go that it won't happen like that, but my mind tricks and convinces myself. 20 years now, way too long.. hate how I can have so much passion against it when I leave the venue and the following days and then it wears off and I go back. That's the worst bit, not being able to convince yourself not to go. I felt like crap before I even went and its like I forced myself to do it. Anyway, this is something different so next week when the urge comes back I will try to remember to post here instead and see if that makes any difference.
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”