Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Day 2 of 100

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Mickey40

Re: Day 2 of 100

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:07 pm

Third weekend gambling free & Day 16. Starting to get a lot easier but there’s a little voice that says ‘you can just do a bit and it won’t hurt’. Fighting it as it does hurt me. Feels a bit like a Gollum from Lord of the Rings voice.
    2 x
    Mickey40

Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:09 pm

Day 18 - I had $50 in my account the other night (the rest isn’t accessible) and really felt like going & spending it on pokies. I talked to my son & he said that I didn’t want to waste my good efforts and start again (true). Ended up giving my $50 to him so was a win for both of us - in a funny way. Most days are now ok but every so often I get an intense urge. Watched addiction Australia & they talk about that other voice that addicts have - felt very familiar.
    3 x
    Ila123

Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:39 pm

Hi @Mickey40

You have been doing some great work and it seems you got some good strategies to handling the urges. :)

Keep up the good work.
    1 x
    Mickey40

Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:33 am

Three weeks tonight since I last gambled! I’ve got a funny little app on my phone (not a pokies one) that I like playing to relax & zone out. Thinking back that’s what I used to do with pokies - shame about the money 🙁. Very determined to reach 100 days.
    2 x
    Mickey40

Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:30 am

I had a lapse yesterday. Sunday afternoon & sparkling wine combination. I didn’t have any cash in my account so I played Keno & used the winnings from that on the pokies. Down about $200 total. Start again today - I’m going to learn that alcohol & boredom are my two big triggers and ensure that I don’t combine them.
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:55 pm

Hi @Mickey40 we appreciate you being so open and honest about having a setback. Its great to see that you have reflected on this lapse, and understood what triggered you.
    Lapses are very common, so i'm glad you were able to dust yourself off and be determined to continue. :D
    Boredom is something that we are always going to feel from time to time, so are there other activities/hobbies you can do to help distract yourself whilst the urges pass?

How else does everyone look after themselves after having a lapse?

What are at least 3 strategies that help you in your journey when it comes to fighting urges?
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”