Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • 100 day challenge to becoming a better man

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Davemc91

100 day challenge to becoming a better man

Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:15 pm

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and wanted to try it out and see if it helps. I will start by doing the 100 day challenge.

I have been gambling for the last 9-10 years losing a fair bit of money and causing a LOT of stress on my relationship with my fiance who I am due to marry late next year.

Its gotten pretty bad to the stage where I lie to my partner about doing it because I'm afraid of the consequences of the gambling when she finds out as its been a problem in our lives for a long time.

I have a counselling session booked in for next week but am trying to get help and people to talk to about it from as many avenues as possible..

Over the last few years I have been betting on horses dogs and sports. I get aot of urges to vet when there is big sporting events on like UFC FOOTBALL etc. Then I get dragged in and end up betting on racing.

Me and my partner are currently not living together as that is how bad it has gotten so I am going to take this time positively and try to work on myself to be a better person and try set things right with my partner.. I will try to update daily with how the challenge is going but any advice/techniques that anyone is able to offer would be greatly appreciated!
    2 x
    JinxyWolf

Re: 100 day challenge to becoming a better man

Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:43 pm

HI Dave and Welcome,

Crongrats on having the strength to reach out and ask for help it's a big first step.

For me giving up access to cash was a the first thing I did. Not having access to cash when urges hit allowed me to put some distance between the urge to gamble and being able to act on that urge. It gave me the time to really think about why I wanted to gamble and what the real consequences of giving into that urge would be.
    Be honest with yourself about why you want to gamble, what are your triggers? For me it was boredom or emotional stress.

Just know that there is no judgement here, we are all here for the same reason, to get gambling out of our lives for good.

Stay Strong and Be Well.

JinxyWolf
    3 x
    Davemc91

Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:33 pm

Day 2

Thank you for you're reply.

Today was pretty easy as I worked all day then had a couple of beers after work with one of the work lads.. Drove home had dinner and watched a movie.. Was a pretty busy day so didn't have a chance to even think about gambling which is a bonus I guess.

2 days down 98 to go
    3 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:00 am

Hi @Davemc91 Good on you for reaching Day 2!! Take things one day at a time. Even the small things helps to keep you distracted!
    Like Jinxywolf had said, it can be helpful to reduce your access to money, also identifying what your urges are to gamble, so that way you can prepare for when they come along.
    I would suggest to call our helpline or reach out on the forums when you do have an urge that way you get some immediate support.

Keep up the great work ! Remember everyday you don't gamble, is a win itself. ! :D
    1 x
    Davemc91

Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:57 pm

DAY 5

Its been a few days now since my last post!

All is going well so far. Have been pretty busy with work and stuff so haven't had a chance really to have any urges which is good.

95 days to go!
    1 x
    loose_thread

Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:28 pm

Great work @Davemc91 - 5 days is a great achievement. Keep up the good work, and keep posting!

loose_thread
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”