Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Day 1 - 20 & Tired.

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    JinxyWolf

Re: Day 1 - 20 & Tired.

Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:49 pm

Hi Mamamia,

Glad to hear things are going well. Well done on making a week, you should be proud.

Keep up the good work.

JinxyWolf
    2 x
    Mamamia

Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:19 pm

Day 12 - pay day.

Savings put away, spending money tucked away and bought myself fifa 21 as a reward.

Just need to keep on going - week 2 almost done.

Wont be gambling today!
    3 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:24 am

Fantastic work @Mamamia !
    How exciting !! Its always great to treat yourself especially when you think about how much money you save just by stopping gambling!
    Let us know how the game is! :D
    2 x
    Mamamia

Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:36 pm

Day 13, 14 and 15 done!

Been a busy couple of days which has made avoiding betting easier.

I am getting more hopeful ill make it to day 100, even though its barely week 3.

One day at a time - fifa's awesome btw
    0 x
    loose_thread

Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:30 pm

One day at a time is right @Mamamia - keep up the great work!

loose_thread
    0 x
    Mamamia

Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:23 pm

Day 16 + 17 done, wont be betting today.

Almost day 20...
    2 x
    Mamamia

Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:29 pm

Day 18-20 done.

Tomorrow is one of the days i said i wouldn't be able to avoid betting on at the start of this challenge (TAB Everest big racing day, out with mates), and i'm torn between just staying completely gamble free or placing $20 on one of my fav horses in the biggest race of the day in the spirit of the day. The latter would be harmless apart from the fact that i feel like i'm cheating the 100 day challenge.

Im conflicted - i dont feel a need to bet but i also would like to.

What do you guys think?
    0 x
    JinxyWolf

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:57 pm

Hi Mamamia,

If it were me I would steer clear especially since you are still so early in your journey but it is your choice and choice only you can make.

The thing to really consider is what would it mean if you did bet? will it undo all you have done so far? will it spur a binge? could it drag you back into the world you are fighting so hard to leave behind? These are important question and ones you need to answer honestly. You might think that it is just a on off $20 bet for a special occasion but is it really? or is it your brain trying to justify a reason to gamble again? This is a process we all go through and part of the journey.

Our brains get so hooked on the adrenaline that gambling gives us that when we stop gambling it starts to crave it, it screams for it. It wants that fix again so our brains start whispering to us "Come on just one bet" "Come on one bet wont hurt" "Come on it's only $20" all to get us to give in to that urge and give the brain what it craves, that hit of adrenaline.

Like I said, the choice is yours and yours alone but just be clear about what the real consequences could be if you do have that bet.

Be well.

JinxyWolf
    1 x
    Mamamia

Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:37 pm

So Day 21, i placed my bet - 2nd - i stopped.

I'm committed to keeping it as i originally planned today and my Melb cup bet being the only lenience i give myself.

Abstinence eliminates the need to resist falling into a hole but i see it as this:
    I am trying to train myself to make this a longterm, lifestyle change, not make 100 days and pick up where i left off, falling into old habits.
    So whilst i broke the streak i will say, i didn't chase/double down/emotional bet - i stopped, and that is a small win.

So, regardless of this being a 100 day abstinence challenge, i'm saying heres to day 21 of my new life.

If i bet or not on Melb cup i will continue to consider...

I may be being too kind on myself but i believe im just as committed to this as Day 1.

Cheers!
    0 x
    Mamamia

Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:14 pm

Day 22 done - wow, almost convinced myself to place a bet on the brownlow vote but forced myself not to.

One day at a time keeping myself gamble free.

Melb cup will be day 38 - no punting until then...and then nothing after.

Cheers,
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”