Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Time To Change For The Better

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Melp123

Time To Change For The Better

Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:40 pm

Hi there im new here. Has taken me a while to get to the reality of this. Embarrassment is eating away at me. I was going so well not playing the pokies then had a relapse last night. I am utterly disgusted in myself. It seems when I see a certain friend Thursday we end up doing, after a couple of drinks we end up at a venue. I'm done with it, I don't want to ever play again. I have completed self exclusion for venues near me. Today is day 1 of a new me and I thank God this online forum exists. I dont know where I'd go for help.
    Looking forward to a brighter future
    1 x
    JinxyWolf

Re: Time To Change For The Better

Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:36 pm

HI Melp and Welcome,

Congrats on having to courage to reach out and face this addiction head on.

We all slip up and that's okay. It's part of the journey, think of it as a learning experience in stead of a failure. Take the time to think about why you lapsed and what was going on in your life at that moment. Figuring out these triggers can help you put in place barriers to stop it from happening again. For me boredom was a big trigger, so was emotional stress. So to combat these I made sure that if I had spare time or had a really stressful day I would give up access to cash, so if the urge to gamble hit I had to really sit and think about whether I really wanted to gamble.
    It's about Creating time, time between the urge to gamble and being able to gamble. This time allows you to really consider the consequences of giving into that urge. Ask yourself "What is the true cost going to be if I decide to gamble?". And be truthful and honest in your answers, don't try and justify the reasons to gamble. Remember the shame and guilt you felt last time you had a binge and come out of the venue broke, again, remember that bill that needs to be paid, or the grocery shop you need to do or even that DVD you wanted to buy. We all remember the "wins" (and I use that term very loosely) but your memory can fool you. How much did you loose before you had that win?, did you leave with any of the money you won or did you put it back through? How many trips did you make to the venue before you had that win?

It might be worth talking to your friend and explaining to them that you would like to avoid gaming venues. You still want to go out for drinks but would prefer to do it at a pub with no pokies, as a friend I'm sure they would understand.

Just remember that you only truly fail if you stop trying.

Kinda long winded I know but hope it helps :cool:

All the best
    JinxyWolf
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: Time To Change For The Better

Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:52 am

Hi there @Melp123
    Welcome to the forums!! Its a great place to help communicate with others that have gone through similar experiences to yourself.
    As you can see @JinxyWolf has provided some great tips!!
    There is further help out there, if you feel comfortable you can call our 24 hour helpline on 1800 858 858 to speak with a counsellor,or if you prefer you can get in contact via webchat as well.
    Well done for reaching out ! :)
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”